Dominion > Variants and Fan Cards

A stronger, more interesting Tormentor

(1/2) > >>

JW:
Tormentor
Types: Action, Attack, Doom
Cost: $5
+$2. If you have no other cards in play, gain an Imp from its pile. Otherwise, each other player receives the next Hex.

Tormentor is weak, and not particularly interesting, especially compared to Skulk (Skulk has a lot of interesting interactions, such as Changeling or trash for benefit). Gaining an Imp is often better than a Hex, but after the very early stages of the game it’s not practical to have no other cards in play (particularly if you’re building the kind of deck that likes Imp), so you’ll just be Hexing your opponent. The attack part of Tormentor is rather weak. Multiple Tormentors stack, but there are lots of strong $5 cards so there will usually be better things to do than to aim to play multiple Tormentors each turn.

My suggested change is to make Tormentor more likely to gain Imps. This makes it more interesting because it's likely to add more Imps to your deck over the course of a game, which means that you'll need to add additional actions besides Tormentor to your deck to take full advantage of the Imps. It probably also makes the card stronger because gaining an Imp tends to be better than giving out a Hex.

Revised Tormentor
Types: Action, Attack, Doom
Cost: $5
+$2.
If you have an Imp in play, each other player receives the next Hex. Otherwise, gain an Imp from its pile. (Updated with better wording thanks to LastFootnote!)

Thoughts?

LastFootnote:
I thought of this the other day too. I think the cleaner wording is:

If you have an Imp in play, each other player recieves the next Hex. Otherwise, gain an Imp from its pile.

LastFootnote:
OK, about the effect itself.

Donald X. has a moratorium on playtesters talking about an expansion until two months after it's been released. If I recall correctly, the reasoning is so that players can decide for themselves how strong the cards are and what combos there are, etc. I've done a fair bit of talking about Nocturne, but I've been trying not to talk about power level or specific combos, in order to be in keeping with what I perceive to be the spirit of the moratorium.

So I will just say, that I like this version because it seems like it might be more fun, and it's definitely more flavorful. If you have an Imp, torment that dude! Otherwise recruit an Imp. Seems neat. I think Tormentor is probably fine the way it is, but yeah it might have been fun to test out this version had we thought of it.

Asper:

--- Quote from: LastFootnote on November 20, 2017, 04:30:40 pm ---but yeah it might have been fun to test out this version had we thought of it.

--- End quote ---

"I already thought of anything you could think of and your idea I had wasn't good enough."
- Donald X, on the subject of fan suggestions, always

JW:

--- Quote from: Asper on November 27, 2017, 09:11:51 am ---
--- Quote from: LastFootnote on November 20, 2017, 04:30:40 pm ---but yeah it might have been fun to test out this version had we thought of it.

--- End quote ---

"I already thought of anything you could think of and your idea I had wasn't good enough."
- Donald X, on the subject of fan suggestions, always
--- End quote ---

Please take this to another thread. But I’d like to hear your thoughts on revised Tormentor.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version