Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A stronger, more interesting Tormentor  (Read 2885 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1792
    • View Profile
A stronger, more interesting Tormentor
« on: November 20, 2017, 03:32:31 pm »
+3

Tormentor
Types: Action, Attack, Doom
Cost: $5
+$2. If you have no other cards in play, gain an Imp from its pile. Otherwise, each other player receives the next Hex.

Tormentor is weak, and not particularly interesting, especially compared to Skulk (Skulk has a lot of interesting interactions, such as Changeling or trash for benefit). Gaining an Imp is often better than a Hex, but after the very early stages of the game it’s not practical to have no other cards in play (particularly if you’re building the kind of deck that likes Imp), so you’ll just be Hexing your opponent. The attack part of Tormentor is rather weak. Multiple Tormentors stack, but there are lots of strong $5 cards so there will usually be better things to do than to aim to play multiple Tormentors each turn.

My suggested change is to make Tormentor more likely to gain Imps. This makes it more interesting because it's likely to add more Imps to your deck over the course of a game, which means that you'll need to add additional actions besides Tormentor to your deck to take full advantage of the Imps. It probably also makes the card stronger because gaining an Imp tends to be better than giving out a Hex.

Revised Tormentor
Types: Action, Attack, Doom
Cost: $5
+$2.
If you have an Imp in play, each other player receives the next Hex. Otherwise, gain an Imp from its pile. (Updated with better wording thanks to LastFootnote!)

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:35:35 pm by JW »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: A stronger, more interesting Tormentor
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 04:09:34 pm »
+3

I thought of this the other day too. I think the cleaner wording is:

If you have an Imp in play, each other player recieves the next Hex. Otherwise, gain an Imp from its pile.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 04:30:40 pm »
+6

OK, about the effect itself.

Donald X. has a moratorium on playtesters talking about an expansion until two months after it's been released. If I recall correctly, the reasoning is so that players can decide for themselves how strong the cards are and what combos there are, etc. I've done a fair bit of talking about Nocturne, but I've been trying not to talk about power level or specific combos, in order to be in keeping with what I perceive to be the spirit of the moratorium.

So I will just say, that I like this version because it seems like it might be more fun, and it's definitely more flavorful. If you have an Imp, torment that dude! Otherwise recruit an Imp. Seems neat. I think Tormentor is probably fine the way it is, but yeah it might have been fun to test out this version had we thought of it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 09:11:51 am »
+2

but yeah it might have been fun to test out this version had we thought of it.

"I already thought of anything you could think of and your idea I had wasn't good enough."
- Donald X, on the subject of fan suggestions, always

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 10:34:41 am »
+1

"I already thought of anything you could think of and your idea I had wasn't good enough."

Please take this to another thread. But I’d like to hear your thoughts on revised Tormentor.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 04:06:18 pm »
+1

Please take this to another thread. But I’d like to hear your thoughts on revised Tormentor.

Right. Attacking with Hexes is more annoying than attacking with Curses because you can't prepare against it and it lasts forever. I also think it's weaker because many of them can be avoided or might just outright whiff. So to me that means Tormentor could be a bit better. But not too much, because honestly, power-Hexers that youu can barely skip make the game longer and more painful - see Werewolf. Your version is more thematic, and stronger too. It also attacks less often, which I think might be a plus.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 05:44:30 pm »
+2

One has to admit that Imps are more fun than Hexes.

JW

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 12:59:59 pm »
+1

Right. Attacking with Hexes is more annoying than attacking with Curses because you can't prepare against it and it lasts forever. I also think it's weaker because many of them can be avoided or might just outright whiff. So to me that means Tormentor could be a bit better. But not too much, because honestly, power-Hexers that you can barely skip make the game longer and more painful - see Werewolf. Your version is more thematic, and stronger too. It also attacks less often, which I think might be a plus.

Thanks. I agree that it seems like a plus that this version of Tormentor attacks less consistently. It also typically won't attack until the second time you play Tormentor, which reduces the chance of War or Locusts hitting a critical early-game card (like their trasher). While I didn't set out to make Tormentor more thematic, I had the idea of having it hex only if an Imp is in play because it felt thematic.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.