Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gendo's BGG.CON 2017 list  (Read 2061 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Gendo's BGG.CON 2017 list
« on: November 20, 2017, 03:29:37 pm »
+2

So here's everything I played this week. Some of them multiple times.

• Dicht dran - No English publishing; it's a light quick card game kind of like 6 nimmt but with a more interesting risk management aspect.
  • Kingdomino - Great light game with some interesting strategy.
  • Merlin - Feld's newest game, co-designed with Michael Rieneck. It's lighter than most Feld, but still deep enough. Still point salad like. On my wish list.
  • T.I.M.E Stories, Under the Mask - Different feel that the base game. More about mystery and figuring out who's who than direct puzzles and cryptic clues to decipher. At least for most of it. Sadly I didn't get to finish it; we decided after 2 runs to come back and finish the next day... and then the next day became the day after that until there was more more chance to get to it. Now I need to figure out what I want to do with it; if I just play it again from the beginning some time, or try to finish where I left off (by myself; it would have to be).
  • Time's Up! - One of the few party games I'll play. It has a neat aspect of re-using previous clues and remembering what options are still out there.
  • Code Names - You all know this one.
  • The Oracle of Delphi - Feld's game from last year; no victory points at all! Still as good as I remember it; hopefully I'll get it soon.
  • The Castles of Burgundy; The Dice Game - New light spinoff of Castles. A lot simpler than last year's Castles The Card Game. It was ok, but probably too Yahtzee-like.
  • Temporum - I was glad/surprised to find out that they DID have the expansion; even though it wasn't listed. Just thought this once, but both people loved it and one ordered a copy right away. Played 2 games.
  • Tem-Purr-A - I reluctantly agreed to play this with my friends; I figured it would be just another Exploding Kittens or what-not. Something that obviously only exists because someone thought the theme would be funny/cute. Well it was an amazing surprise hit! It's like No Thanks! and Fuji Flush; with a press-your-luck element. Played it several times. It clearly has flaws, but it was a lot of fun every game. Bought it for $10.
  • Dominion; Nocturne - See other thread.
  • Photosynthesis - One of the most popular games there. Each player is a difference species of tree, fighting for limited sunlight to take over the forest. It was... ok. It actually really seemed like something that should have just been included in Pyramid Arcade (Icehouse pieces). Most of the components were basically just really pretty pyramids. The game needed something to prevent the exponential explosion of a player who gets an early lead; as well as a complete shutdown for a player who makes an early mistake.
  • Majesty for the Realm - Another pretty light game; it's like the set collection of Machi Koro without the random luck of the dice. Really good.
  • Russian Railroads - Sadly without German Railroads. Still my favorite worker placement game I think.
  • Who Should We Eat? - This is a game that clearly only exists because of the theme. It has an interesting idea where players can choose to work together, or betray one another and make it a versus game. The problem is that the balancing seems to make it so that you can't possibly win without killing each other. It was just frustrating mostly.
  • Queendomino - New follow up to Kingdomino. It adds a lot of new strategy / depth. Seems like it could have been just an expansion to Kingdomino; but I don't know how I would have felt about an expansion to a really light game that makes it that much deeper. You can combine the sets for more players; didn't try that.
  • The Castles of Burgundy - Classic Feld. Game took way too long due to most players being overly analytical (myself included), but it was a great close game.
  • Exit; The Pharaoh's Tomb - This was amazing. It's an escape-the-room puzzle in a box. Designed for one-time use; you pay $12 or so for a couple hours of entertainment for 4 or so people. I was really impressed with the types of puzzles they came up with. We were able to solve all but the first and the last one without any hints. A few puzzles felt too easy, but the game as a whole did not. I plan to get a few more of the sets. They have 6 now; more coming next year. A friend said he liked Unlock! even more, so I'll have to try that.
  • Sheriff of Nottingham - Meh, not for me. Very basic bluffing game. Just B.S. with a couple extra components.
  • Amerigo - Finally learned this! One of the only games I've ever bought without playing first; I can finally play my copy. A pretty simple Feld game that uses an awesome cube tower. It was good.
  • Lovecraft Letter - Another game that literally only exists because of the theme. It actually does add a fair amount to Love Letter though. But I think I prefer the more simple version for a game like Love Letter.
  • Pix - Like Pictionary, but with magnetic pixel art. It's good for a party game.
  • Tokaido - Simple set collection game; played it before. I'll play it again, but not in a hurry to buy it.
  • Ice Cool - Dexterity game where you flick little penguins around a house. Not much else to say about that.
  • Tichu - Always good. Also played Suicide Teacher, a variant where both teams must make a Tichu call every hand! If your partner has already played and didn't call, you automatically call. It's not as stupid as it sounds actually. It adds a lot of interesting decisions with forcing you to get better at evaluating your hand. Because now, even if you don't have a Tichu hand, you need to call if you think your hand is better than your partner's hand. Obviously, it would take longer to play to 1000 with this rule.
  • Johann Sebastian Joust - This counts as a board game, right? Well, it gets played at every board game con I go to. It's amazing. If you don't know, it's a PS3/PS4 game that uses the motion controllers. If your controller moves too much, you're out. The faster the music is playing, the faster you are allowed to move without getting out. That's it. Everything else is just doing whatever it takes to force other players out without getting out yourself. Played this for 2 hours; great exercise. Also, if you think "oh, I've seen people play that before"... you probably haven't seen it played the way some people were playing it... with the players literally giving other players piggy back rides to simulate being on a horse.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:32:58 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
Re: Gendo's BGG.CON 2017 list
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 01:47:45 pm »

Did you talk to a guy in the game library about which Time Stories expansion to try out, and he recommended Under the Mask over Marcy Case and Operation Anchorage? Because if so, that was me!

EDIT: Not anchorage, whatever the snow one is called.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 01:57:02 pm »

Did you talk to a guy in the game library about which Time Stories expansion to try out, and he recommended Under the Mask over Marcy Case and Operation Anchorage? Because if so, that was me!

No actually, but it's quite possible that you talked to me friends whom I was playing the game with! They told me that Under the Mask had been recommended to them. I checked your pic in the post your pic thread and don't think I remember seeing you.

Next year we should try to make a point of getting together for a game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 05:26:52 pm »

No actually, but it's quite possible that you talked to me friends whom I was playing the game with! They told me that Under the Mask had been recommended to them. I checked your pic in the post your pic thread and don't think I remember seeing you.

Next year we should try to make a point of getting together for a game.

There was a group of three guys, I talked to one of them. So maybe!

I hesitate to look at the pics thread, I didn't even remember having posted there. This is a me:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgamedesigner/73362/luther-bell-hendricks-v

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 04:15:23 am »
+1

Pix

I like how cleverly crafted it is to avoid downtime.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:48:19 pm »

Pix

I like how cleverly crafted it is to avoid downtime.

Yeah. Though that system does have a drawback where one “team” might have a word that can be done quickly, while the other would need more time for it to be fair.

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.