Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tragic Hero/Necromancer  (Read 2044 times)

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +330
    • View Profile
Tragic Hero/Necromancer
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:26:50 am »

This question might belong in GendoIkari's thread here, but since this is a rules question I thought I would put it here.

If there's a single Tragic Hero in the trash, and you play it with Necromancer and have 8 cards or more in hand after drawing, Tragic Hero trashes itself and you get a Treasure. Does it re-trash itself, turning itself back face-up to set up future Necromancer plays of the same Tragic Hero? Or does Tragic Hero expect to find itself in play, and when it doesn't, doesn't trash itself but you still get a Treasure?
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Tragic Hero/Necromancer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:28:23 am »
+6

It doesn't retrash itself because you can't trash something already in the trash.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

MatthewCA

• Thief
  • Respect: +86
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:10:25 am »

By my interpretation, gaining a treasure is not contingent on trashing the card. Therefore, I think you'd still gain a treasure card from playing Necromancer as a trashed Tragic Hero. If Tragic Hero said "trash this, if you did..." the treasure gain would only work if you actually trash the card. The key phrase is "if you did". Tragic Hero does not have that phrase.

EDIT: previous post is correct, the card does not re-trash itself because it can't do that.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 09:15:12 am by MatthewCA »

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1642
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 01:55:25 pm »
+2

By my interpretation, gaining a treasure is not contingent on trashing the card. Therefore, I think you'd still gain a treasure card from playing Necromancer as a trashed Tragic Hero. If Tragic Hero said "trash this, if you did..." the treasure gain would only work if you actually trash the card. The key phrase is "if you did". Tragic Hero does not have that phrase.

EDIT: previous post is correct, the card does not re-trash itself because it can't do that.

Everything you wrote is correct, except "playing Necromancer as a trashed Tragic Hero". Necromancer plays Tragic Hero, just like Throne Room or Golem would. It's not like Band of Misfits.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 20 queries.