Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Split pile: Attendants/Old God  (Read 3682 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Split pile: Attendants/Old God
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:46:24 am »
+1

Attendants go on top of Old God.

I wanted a card that let you gain cards to your hand, and it only made sense to have it as a split pile, so you could guarantee having a gainer in the kingdom.  Well, I also made the gainer expensive and have an Attack.

EDIT: Quick change to Old God so it can't gain itself.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:52:44 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Re: Split pile: Attendants/Old God
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 12:28:29 pm »

I really like this design space.  The Old God strategy can really lock another player out of the game, but if it doesn't quite get there, it would expect to get out-rushed. 

Only criticism is that it's slightly ahead of every official Dominion card in making the game tricky to play by hand, since it creates the "duration is not in play, but will still have its effect" effect without requiring a 2 card interaction to invoke.  Every other case of that requires the duration and a non-duration effect to combine to make it possible.  It's considered a "gray sin" in the game's current game philosophy, there are some ways it might happen, but it's not super too likely.  (MtG has lots of game design "grey sins", like the confusion of +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters in the same game.  No card in a serious set is allowed to produce both kinds of counters, but it's permissible for them to have a small chance to run into eachother.)

It's hard to think of good solutions that wouldn't damage the nice design here, though.  It might be one of those cases where the best answer is to break the soft rule because the design is otherwise so cool.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 01:05:25 pm »

Old God could be changed to only trash non-Duration Actions.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 03:52:15 pm »

Yeah.  That works.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 04:00:52 pm »

One worry would be that I think you often don't want more than one Attendants, thus Old God won't be revealed very frequently. Which I guess is a nice thematic touch, but gameplay-wise not ideal.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

CPiGuy

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: CPiGuy
  • Respect: +82
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 06:53:51 pm »

One worry would be that I think you often don't want more than one Attendants, thus Old God won't be revealed very frequently. Which I guess is a nice thematic touch, but gameplay-wise not ideal.

I disagree. I think that you want at least two, because gaining to your hand is very strong in the presence of any other gainer. Without other gainers or Potion cards on the board, you will probably not see many purchases of Attendants.

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:11:13 pm »

Is it intended that Attendants doesn't stay out if you don't discard a Potion? As written it doesn't.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:25 pm »

That's definitely what you want.  As we are discussing, this is on the soft side of the power curve as printed ( but not terribly so ).  Forcing it to get stranded in play whenever you whiff would weaken it.

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 02:44:06 am »

Without other gainers or Potion cards on the board, you will probably not see many purchases of Attendants.
But in the presence of gainers (and decent, cheap engine pieces) the attack of Old God also becomes relatively weaker.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 06:47:20 am »

I think it's not great that one player's Old God cancels the attack portion of other Old Gods. Speaking of which, that attack portion doesn't follow the Duration Attack wording, which in turn makes it questionable whether the card should be an attack at all.

Also, this is the typical super expensive trashing attack which can be really brutal but may also suck. It's basically a fan card archetype, and not necessarily a great one.
No complaints about Attendants, except that with only five, it would be hard to get enough of them into your deck to make sure Potions aren't just a waste of space.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:05:17 am »

That's definitely what you want.  As we are discussing, this is on the soft side of the power curve as printed ( but not terribly so ).  Forcing it to get stranded in play whenever you whiff would weaken it.
It isn't really "stranded in play" though. Its main gaining to hand effect is even better when it's already in play at the start of your turn.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:22:52 am »
+1

Man, Old God is a nasty counter to Prince.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 09:46:31 am »

It isn't really "stranded in play" though. Its main gaining to hand effect is even better when it's already in play at the start of your turn.

When you cantrip a reshuffle with a potion in your hand, and don't draw a gainer, and now know you've created a reshuffle that contains a Potion but not an Attendants, I don't expect it to feel good. 

I guess those are both two card combos, but the potion one is always available, ideally we want this to be strong enough to play without other in-hand gainers, right? Is that dreaming too hard?

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 10:48:45 am »

I dislike Attendant's on-gain effect it doesn't fit dominion well to me. Also it would be broken/very strong with Trader,Tunnel,Magpie,Rats, Pillage Etc.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 11:12:56 am »

Old God could certainly be changed to "Until your next turn" instead of "while this is in play", and it could be changed to trashing the first non-Duration Action each other player plays, which would not affect other players' Old Gods.

And the intent is that Attendants does not stay in play for another turn if you don't discard Potion.  The Potion discarding is also there to slow down how quickly you can get an Old God.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2017, 11:26:53 am »

I dislike Attendant's on-gain effect it doesn't fit dominion well to me. Also it would be broken/very strong with Trader,Tunnel,Magpie,Rats, Pillage Etc.

That's true.  Masterpiece could actually get some play with this on the board

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2017, 12:11:46 pm »
+1

Uhhhh how?  Are you buying a Villa immediately afterward?

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 12:29:24 pm »

Uhhhh how?  Are you buying a Villa immediately afterward?

Yes for sure.  Haha no I just was too eager to help out poor masterpiece that I forgot dominions rules.  My bad.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.