Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Exception to the rule with Scrying Pool  (Read 2083 times)

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
Exception to the rule with Scrying Pool
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:30:22 am »

In which cases do you want to discard an action card you show from your deck with Scrying Pool?

Here are 3 (2 really obscure) cases off the top of my head:

1. Possession probably does some wierd things (I am possessing my opponent and accidentaly played a Possession (through Golem), so now I want to screw my own deck with Scrying Pool, because he will play with it the next turn. (or maybe I just want to have good actions on the top of my deck anyway, cause I don't have Scrying Pool in my next hand)

2. I have also Golem in hand, but there are not-optional trashers in my deck (Remake) and I want to play the Golem, but want to have a better chance that it does not show the Remake. Also I have to reshuffle for this to make a difference. (is there ANY chance this is gonna happen?)

3. My deck is not good enough to reliably draw itself every turn, so I want to discard some Scrying Pools/drawing cards and reshuffle so I have them in my next hand, because they will be useless in this turn anyway. (this is probably the only "happens occasionally" situation for this "exception to the rule")

RiemannZetaJones

• Thief
  • Respect: +62
    • View Profile
Re: Exception to the rule with Scrying Pool
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 02:48:52 am »
+2

You need $1, you have 6 cards in your draw pile, 0 in discard. The 6 cards are 1 Village and 5 Philosopher's Stone.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:58:45 am »

As for your number 2, it could also be that you'll discard any terminal action just so you can play it when you later play Golem. You don't have enough actions to play it from your hand.

Here are 3 others.

You plan on playing Menagerie next, and avoid this duplicate.

It's not a duplicate and you will play Hunting Party next. For some reason you want HP to hunt less cars, probably to avoid a reshuffle.

It's an unnecessary action card anyway, and putting it in the discard will increase the value of Philosopher's Stone.

Young Nick

• Minion
  • Respect: +275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 12:08:30 pm »

You've played TR->TR->SP and have already played the first SP. You have only provinces in hand. Your only remaining cards in deck are Provinces and Remake. You skip over the Remake so you do not have to trash 4 Provinces from hand.

This, of course, prompts the question, How/Why do you get to a deck of 2 TR's, 2 SP's, a bunch of Provinces, and a Remake?

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:48:58 pm »
+1

Those provinces used to be King's Courts is my guess.

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:01:36 pm »

There's lots of ways with Golem. In addition to the ones already mentioned, if the deck has no villages and the only way to get +2 actions is to have your golem hit 2 cantrips, you may want to discard a cantrip from the top of your deck instead of drawing it into your hand if you expect to Golem it afterwards anyway.

I actually had something similar actually happen in a recent game. Well, not using scrying pool to discard it, but deliberately discarding highways from hand instead of playing them for that reason.

Markov Chain

• Bishop
  • Respect: +77
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:29 pm »

You have a Library in hand already and have no use for a second Library; by discarding the Library from your deck, the Library in hand will drw one more card.  (Similar examples are possible with Jack of All Trades and Watchtower.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.