Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2017 Dominion Online Championship Finals Recap  (Read 1689 times)

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
2017 Dominion Online Championship Finals Recap
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:21:41 pm »
+16

Crossposted from: http://forum.shuffleit.nl/index.php?topic=2581.msg10905

The 2017 Dominion Online Championships were quite an exciting tournament. With a turnout of 389 players, it was the biggest dominion tournament ever, as well as the debut of new tournament-friendly features on the new dominion client.

To make it far in a tournament, you have to play well. Some games are one from clever plays on both sides. But some games are also decided by P1 advantage and shuffle luck. You need a little luck at precisely the right time, and boy did that happen here.

In the semifinals, I was down 1-3 against jsh357, then won a couple of engine games to force a game 7. I thinned down with Donate, built up a Plaza/Witch engine, and won the Plaza split, partially at least, due to P1 advantage.

Then in the finals, I was down 1-3 against Mercury444F, then won a couple of engine games to force a game 7. I thinned down with Remake/Bonfire, built up a Plaza/Witch engine, and won the Plaza split, partially at least, due to P1 advantage.

Recording of my matches (including the finals) are up on youtube here:

A big thanks to Shuffle IT for hosting the tournament. Another big thanks goes out to the moderation team -  drsteelhammer, assemble_me, Deadlock39 and irrationalE.

And finally, a big thanks to the community for coming out and competing, spectating and discussing. It was great to see so many people excited about competitive dominion come together for this event.

See you next year!
-Dan Brooks
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 05:23:42 pm by dedicateddan »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Dominion Online Championship Finals Recap
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 12:21:56 am »
+3

That 6th game was looooooooonnnng but ultimately rewarding. It was fun to watch the reactions on Twitch to your penultimate Colony buy. It went from "Oh no, what did he do?" to "Oh wait. Merc can't afford the last Colony!" to "WOW. Brilliant!"

Congrats!

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 01:19:07 pm »
+1

What percentage of your rated games do you record?

If you're not recording, do you still narrate your thought process aloud?

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:32:06 pm »
+1

What percentage of your rated games do you record?

If you're not recording, do you still narrate your thought process aloud?

When I'm recording, I usually have a reason to. This new youtube channel was created mostly to document the 2017 Championships. Of course, once the channel was up, I uploaded a couple more videos on engine builds and Nocturne previews. I'm often in offices that people are shuffling in and out of, so I don't usually have a chance to narrate out loud.

My old recording are up on twitch here:
https://www.twitch.tv/danbrooks/videos/all

There are some league matches, tournament finals, commentary, and of course, WeedGoku69 playing hangman in the waiting for game lobby.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.