Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 99  All

Author Topic: RMM48: Falling Skies Mafia (Game Over)  (Read 247249 times)

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
Re: RMM48: Falling Skies Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2019, 11:52:56 am »

A joke? All jokes are scummy.

But actually, this one is. Claiming numbers for people is a scummy technique for drawing out the actual numbers people have.

Vote: pubby

Did it work at all? Do you believe scum!pubby would think this is a good way to do this? Do you think he would disguise it as a joke? I would answer "no" to all three, how about you?

Have you two both played with pubby before? How new is he? (Is "he" definitely the correct pronoun, BTW?)

I think it's entirely reasonable, knowing nothing about pubby, to assume that it could be a rookie attempt at number-fishing by scum, yes.

Like, not enough to have voted pubby yet, but that's mainly because I'm only skipping very quickly into the game while waiting for a work task to compute something for me. I'll play properly outside of work hours.

(I get that your question was pointed at e, but I think I'm picking up votes for my position on pubby too, so I feel like it's helpful to clarify).
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #176 on: July 22, 2019, 11:57:17 am »

If pubby is scum I highly doubt he tries something like this without running it by his scumbuddies on Night zero. Given the general level of experience in this game, chances are pretty good there's at least one experienced scum player in that QT who would have said "that's clumsy and it'll backfire."

But maybe not, who knows.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 22, 2019, 12:38:28 pm »

I guess the advantages in claiming mirror the disadvantages:

Advantages:
- It guides our PR's. Cops, Number Cops, Trackers, Watchers, Roleblockers, Jailors, etc all gain value out of a guideline for how inherently scummy Ash believes a player's Flavor/Name/Character to be. It doesn't mean that high number claims are scum or that low number claims are town, especially given that scum have fake claim numbers and can simply lie... but it DOES provide guidelines without ACTUALLY telling scum what PR's do/do not exist within the game and who has them.
Quote from: Voltgloss
Derphammering is when quickhammers go derp.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54
SCUM Wins: M2, M19, M23, M100, DM3, RM1, RM2, RM48, RM50
SCUM Losses: M15 (SK), M102 (Tr), OZ1, RM55

Total Wins: 30
Total Losses: 20

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 22, 2019, 12:38:59 pm »

Advantages:
- It guides our PR's. Cops, Number Cops, Trackers, Watchers, Roleblockers, Jailors, etc all gain value out of a guideline for how inherently scummy Ash believes a player's Flavor/Name/Character to be. It doesn't mean that high number claims are scum or that low number claims are town, especially given that scum have fake claim numbers and can simply lie... but it DOES provide guidelines without ACTUALLY telling scum what PR's do/do not exist within the game and who has them.

I hit "enter" and this posted, so please hold while I finish the post.

Faust has also been incredibly stubborn this game. In other news, it's hot in the summer, and water falls from the sky when it rains.

Mafia Record:
TOWN Wins: M3, M5, M6, M11, M17, M28, M32, M105, M108, M114, M118, M120, M122, DM1, DoM1, OZ2, RM45, RM47, RM48, RM49, RM55
TOWN Losses: M4, M7, M8, M9, M13, M14, M18, M31, M110, M111, M113, M117, M125, RM3, RM4, RM54

Galzria

• Jester
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 22, 2019, 12:47:19 pm »

Advantages:

Neutral:
- It doesn't actually tell scum or town anything specific. A "townier" number does not necessarily equate to a "stronger PR". That is, a 1-out-of-10 may very well be an IC, but that doesn't necessarily mean that scum want to kill that player first, or that the player is the biggest night-action threat that they face. For all they know a town player with a 7-out-of-town, despite (apparently) being a super-slimeball in Ash's eyes, may have a PR that reads "If you survive to Night 3, you may activate your PR to reveal all remaining scum". Ok, that's (probably) an exaggeration, but you get my point.

Disadvantages:
Scum, at least from a single-scum-team perspective, generally will know who is telling the truth about their numbers. And as we don't know what their PR's are, or how they interact/play off that knowledge, we cannot know to what benefit they may be able to use this knowledge. Maybe they gain little, maybe they gain lots. Claiming would be a roll of the dice.

-----

In my personal experience, I have seen D1 claiming massivly help town once, and I've seen it massively help scum many more times than that. I don't believe given our lack of understanding about how much it would help scum out that claiming makes sense. Then again, I've never felt that way. If Ash were playing and not modding I would expect him to be pushing otherwise though. But I don't believe it's completely accurate to make a blanket case for it being "purely good" or "purely bad" with no upsides/downsides. I think it falls somewhere in between. I'm just generally against it.

Mafia Record:

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #180 on: July 22, 2019, 01:02:23 pm »

It occurs to me that there might potentially be some confusion between "Masons" as in the mafia role and "Masons" as in the last name of several characters on this show.

Assuming Ash didn't decide to be cute and make the Masons masons, that is.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Glooble

• Bishop
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #181 on: July 22, 2019, 01:15:06 pm »

Disadvantages:
Scum, at least from a single-scum-team perspective, generally will know who is telling the truth about their numbers. And as we don't know what their PR's are, or how they interact/play off that knowledge, we cannot know to what benefit they may be able to use this knowledge. Maybe they gain little, maybe they gain lots. Claiming would be a roll of the dice.

Ash's warning about the importance of flavor names combined with something in my own role description make me think that the Espheni faction probably has some sort of ability which makes it particularly useful for them to know player's flavor names. I would not roll these dice, at least not until We have a little more info.

He/ Him

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Shuffle iT Username: WestCoastDidds
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 22, 2019, 01:20:54 pm »

I thought the ally claim was weird. I thought the call out to other potential allies was even more strange.
I don't know what "weird" and "strange" mean in this context. Do you think it's more likely to come from scum or not?

I chose those words deliberately because I am not sure. I am not sure scum would be quite so obvious, but pubby is newish, so maybe? More likely, I think, he is part one of the vague multiball scenarios that have been mentioned.  I don't think the ally claims and number placing are town-friendly, but I am not sure they are scummy. I am certain that as of right now, I don't trust him or have any reason to think he is town.
classic Diddsian meddling
I never got to read what Didds said, but whatever she's saying, she's right.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 22, 2019, 01:27:05 pm »

Do you not think it looks bad?
I didn't ask you to answer, did I?

So, what do you make of it, faust? Is it really just a bad joke?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 22, 2019, 02:48:05 pm »

Probably. The reactions to it have definitely been more enlightening than the thing itself.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 22, 2019, 02:48:18 pm »

Disadvantages:

Ash's warning about the importance of flavor names combined with something in my own role description make me think that the Espheni faction probably has some sort of ability which makes it particularly useful for them to know player's flavor names. I would not roll these dice, at least not until We have a little more info.

towny vibe on Glooble this game
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 22, 2019, 03:12:36 pm »

Quoting is hard on mobile, so here's my reply to SA.

"Have you two both played with pubby before? How new is he? (Is "he" definitely the correct pronoun, BTW?)"

Yes, he's played 2 games in fds and I believe a dozen otherwise, and yes.

"I think it's entirely reasonable, knowing nothing about pubby, to assume that it could be a rookie attempt at number-fishing by scum, yes."

I agree. I want to hear ADK before saying more.

"(I get that your question was pointed at e, but I think I'm picking up votes for my position on pubby too, so I feel like it's helpful to clarify)."

It was helpful indeed.

Okay, now the rest:

If pubby is scum I highly doubt he tries something like this without running it by his scumbuddies on Night zero. Given the general level of experience in this game, chances are pretty good there's at least one experienced scum player in that QT who would have said "that's clumsy and it'll backfire."

But maybe not, who knows.

Don't like the hedge; otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with this post and it somewhat explains my read on pubby right now.

(Quote of Galz's wall post)

Galzria is scum for focusing on PRs too much. But where's the fun in voting scum early? All it does is give them a chance to look townie... looking at you, gkrieg!

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 22, 2019, 04:05:53 pm »

Don't like the hedge; otherwise I agree wholeheartedly with this post and it somewhat explains my read on pubby right now.
I have read all of your post and still have no idea what that read is.

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 22, 2019, 04:38:44 pm »

I have read all of your post and still have no idea what that read is.

Town.

SpaceAnemone

• Thief
  • Shuffle iT Username: SpaceAnemone
  • Correct Horse Battery Staple
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 22, 2019, 05:49:52 pm »

FWIW, a quick note to players and mod, I much prefer being "Space" rather than "SA", if possible :-) Thanks!

"I think it's entirely reasonable, knowing nothing about pubby, to assume that it could be a rookie attempt at number-fishing by scum, yes."

I agree.

Just to clarify, are you agreeing that he looked a little scummy, or just that I'm justified in thinking it's a lottle scummy given that I don't know his play?
Congratulations! Your SpaceAnemone evolved into UniverseAnemone!
Town games: M84(L), M85(W), M86(L), M87(W), M88(L), M90(L), M92(W), M94(L), M97(L), M99(W), M100(L), M104(W), M107(W), M110(L), M112(L), RMM37(L), RMM40(D), RMM41(L), RMM43(L), RMM47(W), ZM23(W).
Scum games: M89(D), M108(L), NM8(W&MVP), NM10(L)   Mod: NM9, RMM38, RMM42.   Pronouns: they/them

MiX

• Navigator
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 22, 2019, 06:00:04 pm »

FWIW, a quick note to players and mod, I much prefer being "Space" rather than "SA", if possible :-) Thanks!

I agree.

Just to clarify, are you agreeing that he looked a little scummy, or just that I'm justified in thinking it's a lottle scummy given that I don't know his play?

The latter, Space

I don't like short posts, so here's some filler: do you like how I adressed both parts in one line???

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 22, 2019, 08:26:18 pm »

Vote Count 1.3:

MiX (2): Awaclus, pubby
Datswan (1): faust
space (2): ADK, MiX
pubby (1): 2.7

Not Voting (10): jotheonah, Galzria, WCD, PPS, Datswan, EFHW, SA, Glooble, gkrieg, shraeye

With 16 alive, it takes 9 to lynch.  Day 1 ends at 6:00 a.m. on July 31.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 22, 2019, 08:36:14 pm »

something that I want to see if ADK thought of first.

I actually have no idea what you're talking about

Space putting suspicion on pubby without actually voting there seemed mildly scummy to me. It seems less scummy to me right now. I'm also curious to know why you think that I'm a person you want to sheep
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 22, 2019, 08:36:46 pm »

Probably. The reactions to it have definitely been more enlightening than the thing itself.

Any thoughts on the subject you'd like to share?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 22, 2019, 09:24:00 pm »

Is "a lottle" a new expression meaning the opposite of "a little"?

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 22, 2019, 09:30:28 pm »

(Quote of Galz's wall post)

Galzria is scum for focusing on PRs too much. But where's the fun in voting scum early? All it does is give them a chance to look townie... looking at you, gkrieg!

I was puzzled by all the effort galz put into the number question.

I've noticed that you often seem to postpone pursuing your scumreads.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 22, 2019, 09:56:02 pm »

I have read, and reread a couple of times. I guess I kind of picked up on some possible coordination between Datswan and Galz. MiX seems towny enough. I think Pubby knows something he isn’t posting but I don’t get scum vibes at all. Overall it seems like everyone has logical thoughts about the setup that mirror my own. I am expecting multi faction and likely multi ball even if limited to one shots like vigs or pgos. I skimmed some wiki and there are a ton of possible moving parts. I am willing to confirm knowledge of an item that exists in the game that I could make use of but do not currently have in my possession. I am not willing to name the item at this time.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

WestCoastDidds

• Ambassador
  • Didds, ya'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 22, 2019, 10:42:35 pm »

Oh! Items! How interesting!

Folks who know the flavor....Swan, EFHW, or anyone else...what kind of artifacts might we we be dealing with? I’ve never played in an Asher game, but in Joth’s game the objects were plentiful and (mostly) useful.

In other news, faust, I laughed out loud at your response to MiX’s inscrutable read. I’m also wondering why MiX is giving Galz side eye but gkrieg props....unless I am reading that wrong. Which could be, but I’m not finding the whole inscrutable thing very towny at all.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 23, 2019, 12:29:22 am »

Any thoughts on the subject you'd like to share?
At this point, not so much, except I feel like Didds is town.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 23, 2019, 12:30:39 am »

Is "a lottle" a new expression meaning the opposite of "a little"?
I love it.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 99  All

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 20 queries.