Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion: Decadence  (Read 2110 times)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
Dominion: Decadence
« on: November 17, 2017, 05:19:52 pm »
+2

Here's my idea for an expansion. The theme is a paradoxical combination of Prosperity and Dark Ages: basically, blowing all your resources at once for massive benefit. It has a lot of cards that trash themselves, and also some overpay mechanics. It also has a new type of card called Luxury. Luxuries are similar to Spoils in that they can only be gained with other cards, but they don't enter your discard immediately. Instead, you can put them in your discard at any time, so you can save them up and then blow them all later on. Also, they trash themselves instead of returning to the pile, motivating you to save them. I may make other Luxuries, but this is main one I have now:

Parade
$0
Action-Luxury
+3 cards
+1 action

Now onto the cards:

Gold Vein
$5
Treasure
Worth $2
When you play this, gain a Parade.

My idea for a treasure that draws.

Souvenir
$6
Action
+1 card
+1 action
+1 coin
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpaid, gain a Souvenir.

Wait until you have a ton of $, then get a bunch of these with the overpay.

Accountant
$1
Action
+2 cards
+1 action
Discard 2 cards. You may trash this and your hand.
When you buy this, you may overpay for. Gain a card costing exactly $2 more than the amount overpaid.

My idea for a better Bomb. The overpay lets you get a card for $1 less as well as a cheap sifter/trasher that you might or might not want.

Crown Jewels
$4
Treasure-Victory
Worth $1 and 1 VP
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. +1 VP per $1 overpaid.

The more you overpay for it, the more VP tokens you get.

Goldsmith
$5
Action
+3 cards
You may discard 3 cards, to gain a Parade.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 overpaid, gain a Parade.

If you have some junk after drawing, you can discard it to get a delayed benefit.

I'll post some more later. For now, what do you think of these?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:26:44 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion: Decadence
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 05:49:23 pm »

I may be wrong, but my first impression is that I would always go for the luxury cards.  Seems really really good.  Especially gold deposit.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 05:57:35 pm »
+1

Parade should probably say "trash this". Maybe auto-trashing is implied by the Luxury type, but why keep implicit what can be explicit?
How many Parades are there in the pile? Because it should scale with player number, and it affects strongly the power level of Parade-giving cards.
If you want to make players more willing to save up on these, you might want to have the trashing be conditional, something like: "+1 Card, +1 Action. You may trash this for +2 Cards". Otherwise the burden of keeping so many dead cards in the deck could be really too heavy to make them a viable megaturn enabler. (the only similar card is madman, but you need far fewer Madmen to make your deck explode, compared with Parade)

Gold deposit looks a bit too good. You get a stop card worth two, and what is effectively two Labs with a shuffle's delay. Again, hard to judge without knowing how many luxuries there are :)

Souvenir looks like a fun Peddler variant. I suspect it could live with costing 5, but maybe at 6 it has more character.

Accountant is crazy powerful. It has a better on-play effect than Inn and trashing-Count, and has a great on-buy effect (much better than Borrow in most cases). It's the wrong card to put a "negative cost" on.
It's effectively a must-open in every situation.
It would be nice with a cost of Potion, and maybe just gaining a card costing 1$ more.

I'm not sure about Crown Jewels. They might lead to endless arm races, especially on boards without +Buy.

Goldsmith would probably work fine without the on-buy effect?
I like it.

Goldsmith, Gold deposit and Souvenir look very promising.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 06:56:37 pm »

Parade: I like this idea, I'm using a similar thing in my expansion which I'll put a lot more thought into now that Nocturne won't steal any more ideas from it.

Gold Deposit: Feels strange that this has nothing to do with Gold so I think a different name would be better. The actual card seems very strong to me, the first play is just a Silver but after that it's like a Lab with +$2. The Parade might be slow enough that it's not too good though.

Souvenir: $6 for Peddler is obviously bad, $7 for two seems fair and it keeps getting better from there. I'd be careful with kind of overpay though because it doesn't seem difficult for things to get out of hand.

Accountant: If I understand this correctly the on play effect is strictly better than Inn's and this costs $1? Inn without the on gain effect is balanced at $4 according to secret histories so this needs to cost $5 at least. But then that defeats the point of the overpay.

Crown Jewels: Vp overpay is probably broken? Seems dangerous at least and this compares pretty well with Province and Duchy.

Goldsmith: Same thing about Gold in the name. The on play effect seems good, $5 Smithies don't need too much to make them good and this seems like a nice bonus. If you play the Parade you gain on the same turn you're down on cards, which I like. The overpay is crazy though right? Parade is much stronger than Spoils so I don't think they should be so easy to get.

Nice ideas here though! Overpay especially seems like it has some room to be explored.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 07:28:39 pm »

Really sorry about Accountant; I meant to type "+1 action," not "+2 actions." I fixed this in the OP; of course the unfixed version would be broken!

Parade should probably say "trash this". Maybe auto-trashing is implied by the Luxury type, but why keep implicit what can be explicit?
How many Parades are there in the pile? Because it should scale with player number, and it affects strongly the power level of Parade-giving cards.
If you want to make players more willing to save up on these, you might want to have the trashing be conditional, something like: "+1 Card, +1 Action. You may trash this for +2 Cards". Otherwise the burden of keeping so many dead cards in the deck could be really too heavy to make them a viable megaturn enabler. (the only similar card is madman, but you need far fewer Madmen to make your deck explode, compared with Parade)

I think you missed this part from the OP:

they don't enter your discard immediately. Instead, you can put them in your discard at any time, so you can save them up and then blow them all later on.

The idea is that when you gain them, you set them aside, maybe on a mat or something, and you can put them in your discard whenever you want. So they don't clog your deck at all if you don't want to use them yet. That's why they need the new type. They behave fundamentally differently from other cards.

You're right that I could explicitly put "trash this" directly on the card. I could also put "this is not in the supply" on the card as well, to avoid confusion. I just thought that everything could already be implied with the Luxury type. What do you think?

I have no idea how many Parades there should be in the pile. They trash themselves, so there should probably be more than the Spoils, maybe 20 or 25? You're right that in multiplayer there should probably be more.

Gold Deposit: Feels strange that this has nothing to do with Gold so I think a different name would be better.

I changed the name to the less clunky "Gold Vein." You're right that a name without Gold might be better.

I'm not sure about Crown Jewels. They might lead to endless arm races, especially on boards without +Buy.

I've also had doubts about this one. Of all the cards, this is the one most likely to get cut.

Souvenir looks like a fun Peddler variant. I suspect it could live with costing 5, but maybe at 6 it has more character.

At $5, it would be like Grand Market without the copper restriction if you paid $6, and then paying $7 would be even more ridiculous. I also think this pile should maybe have more than 10, maybe 12?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:29:10 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 02:08:03 am »

I like parade as a not-in-the-supply one-shot. (It has been done before, but that's okay. Especially since, in the old fan expansion I linked to, it ended up being removed -which is why I didn't link to the OP.)

Gold vein is a neat idea, but does seem too strong as-is. You should probably make the parade-gain conditional, "While this is in play, the first time you buy an X-type gain a parade" or "When you play this, you may discard two cards to gain a parade."

Someone else (don't remember who) already posted Souvenir, exactly the same except for the name. That's okay too, it's not a bad idea.

I like Accountant. It does seem strong, but certainly not $5-strong. Would probably be good at $2 or $3 (not sure which), and the overpay effect still works fine at $2 or $3.

re: Crown Jewels: overpay for VP is broken.

Goldsmith would be fine without the overpay.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:09:33 am by LibraryAdventurer »

Neirai the Forgiven

• Explorer
  • Respect: +134
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 10:07:19 am »

I'd consider rewriting Luxuries as a reserve card; e.g.,

Parade
$0
Action-Reserve
During your action phase, you can call this. If you do, trash it, +3 cards, +1 action.
-------------
When you gain this, put it on your Tavern Mat (not into your discard pile.)

loneXolf

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
    • My steam profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:50 am »

Accountant - way too powerful, it lets you buy any card for one less for no real downside besides you have  to buy this, while being a trasher.
Crown Jewels - This will just make the game longer way longer. For 8 you will get 5 vp instead of the 6 of province but you will be getting most of it in Tokens and won't be getting a dead card. Also there is no reason buy a province if you only have one buy if you have 9 or more gold with this.
Gold Vein- Gold Vein seems too good. Both of them let you start gaining parade's for cheap. Gold Vein is a much better bandit camp early game, also I would buy a gold vein over a gold most of the time early game.

Random bad card idea:
Name: ???
Cost: 5
Effect: +3 cards  You may trash a silver from your hand. If you do, gain a Parade and +1 action

Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 20 queries.