Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: When do you take the curse in torturer games?  (Read 13368 times)

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
When do you take the curse in torturer games?
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:53:06 am »

I don't really play a cohesive strategy against torturer games... I only have general guidelines, and feel like I could really improve in these games.

What I do:

-Discard more frequently if I have cursers myself, since they affect the split.
-Take the curse in general if i'm at 6,8, or 5 when there is a critical card I need (IE the curser itself)
-Take the curse (or resign...) more frequently if I know I'll be getting hit by another torturer after the first.
-Take the curse more frequently if I think discarding significantly decreases a chance at a 2+ torturer (or other curser) combo.
-Discard all if my hand is 4- and I get hit by 2+

Kahryl

• Explorer
  • Respect: +155
    • View Profile
Re: When do you take the curse in torturer games?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 09:22:25 am »

I take the curse if I would have to discard my own torturers/villagers

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 09:34:31 am »

Take the curse if you have a trasher in hand (or Ambassador) that you want to play.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:16:00 am »

Take the curse if you have a trasher in hand (or Ambassador) that you want to play.

Don't forget Trader!

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:25:01 am »

Don't forget Trader!
Or Watchtower,  I guess.

blackb

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 12:26:21 pm »

Or Watchtower,  I guess.
With Watchtower you can also discard some useless cards to draw better ones.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 12:56:40 pm »
+2

There are two basically distinct situations that Torturer might be played in:

1.  You know that no more Torturers will be played against you this round (ie, your opponent has only one Torturer, or they're out of Actions after playing this Torturer (or other, rarer circumstances).

In this case, you almost always choose to discard.  Unless, you know, whatever.  You have a Trader or Watchtower, or you'll be able to end the game and win (even with the Curse) if you don't discard.  Fairly straightforward.

2.  You think that there is a possibility of more Torturers this round.

You are much more likely to want to take the Curse in this case.

Now, first, some comments:

If your opponent has activated a Village/Torturer deck, and thus you can expect to be Tortured multiply every round for the foreseeable future, in many cases, that's gg, and it doesn't much matter how you play it.  You should probably just concede unless you're playing multiplayer or you have a clear understanding of how you can come back into this game.

But if you do think that you still have a shot at winning, and you're being Tortured one of potentially several times this turn, some things to think about:

a.  Is discarding painless?

That is, do you have two green or otherwise valueless cards in your hand (conflicting terminals, whatever)?  Do you have a copper whose buying power you don't plan to use?  If so, discard.  Hey, your opponent might not Torture you again, and if they do, you can take the Curse then.

b.  Is the hand totally worthless anyway?

Is this going to be a "buy a Silver you don't need" hand?  If so, you might just go ahead and discard into it, knowing that you're going to discard the hand into nothing and that's fine.

c.  Are you super-Curse-adverse?

Does your deck really clog quickly with Curses and you have no way to get rid of them?

d.  If not, probably take the Curse.

It's better to have a couple of Curses in your deck than lose tempo, and you need to keep tempo if you're going to have any chance to regain the upper hand against an activated Village/Torturer deck.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 12:57:25 pm »

I used to do everything I could to avoid taking the Curses, but the more I face Torturer the more it seems like sometimes you just have to grin and bear it.  If your hand is going to pay for something you need for your deck, don't hesitate.  Also, If you suspect your opponent is going to play two, gain a curse the first time so you can discard it instead of a good card.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »

One thing it took me a while to figure out:

If you're going to end up taking all (most) of the Curses anyway, just take them. The quicker you empty the pile the quicker you can get on with not being tortured 4 times every turn.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +949
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 01:52:06 pm »

If you're holding a Vault or a Secret Chamber it might be worth it to take the curses. Although with SC you could also dig and find some crappy cards you don't mind discarding.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 01:56:42 pm »

If you're going to end up taking all (most) of the Curses anyway, just take them. The quicker you empty the pile the quicker you can get on with not being tortured 4 times every turn.

Forgive my ignorance (I'm pretty new to Dominion), but if your opponent played a Torturer, and all the Curses were gone, wouldn't you *have* to discard if you had 2 or more cards in your hand?  My understanding was that when you're supposed to do something, you do "all you can."  So the Torturer gives you a choice: you can take a Curse or discard two cards.  I take that to mean that if there are no Curses to take, you must discard two cards, and conversely, if you have 0 or 1 cards in your hand, you must take a Curse.   The only way to be unaffected by a Torturer is to have <2 cards in your hand AND to have all the Curses gone.

Am I wrong?

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 01:57:57 pm »

Nope, it gives you a choice, and you choose "Gain a Curse".  Then you do all that you can and you gain nothing.

Edit: The same goes for discarding.  If you have 0 or 1 cards in your hand you can still choose to discard 2 cards.  In this case doing all that you can would mean discarding 1 card if that is all you have.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3387
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:58:59 pm »

Forgive my ignorance (I'm pretty new to Dominion), but if your opponent played a Torturer, and all the Curses were gone, wouldn't you *have* to discard if you had 2 or more cards in your hand?  My understanding was that when you're supposed to do something, you do "all you can."  So the Torturer gives you a choice: you can take a Curse or discard two cards.  I take that to mean that if there are no Curses to take, you must discard two cards, and conversely, if you have 0 or 1 cards in your hand, you must take a Curse.   The only way to be unaffected by a Torturer is to have <2 cards in your hand AND to have all the Curses gone.

Am I wrong?

In fact, you are wrong. You may still *choose* to take a Curse when there are none left. You do not have to discard two cards. That would be horrible!
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Captain_Frisk

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1263
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »
+1

I'm really looking forward to seeing WW, Geronimo, jonts etc. weigh in here, as this is something that I struggle with.  My general philosophy (in 2p) is not to take it unless it prevents me from firing my own chain, or an especially key buy.

The recommendation above of "if you're going to take them anyway, might as well do it", is very far from my viewpoint.  I've won by limping it out and firing my own mega turn later, but its very very rare that you win from a 10-0 curse split.

Like all dominion advice, I suspect the answer is "it depends on the table" etc. etc., but I can't remember a time in which I repeatedly said "Yes, its worth gaining multiple curses to make sure I fire this hand".  The obvious cases (you have trasher / forge / trader / watchtower / cellar / warehouse) are pretty straight forward.

The later the game goes, the more willing I am to do it, but torturer chaining is a slippery slope. 
I support funsockets.... taking as much time as they need to get it right.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 02:00:54 pm »
+1

On isotropic, and isotropic is usually legit, it allows you to choose the cursing option when the curses are empty and gain nothing.

Donald would probably say something like this: The card asks your opponent to make a choice. He makes the choice to gain a curse. He attempts to gain a curse but finds the pile empty. He has now done all he can.

so so ninja'd
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jaybeez

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: jaybeez
  • Respect: +395
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 02:03:17 pm »
+1

Okay, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification everyone.

Sorry for the thread derail :)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 02:16:05 pm »
+1

I'm really looking forward to seeing WW, Geronimo, jonts etc. weigh in here, as this is something that I struggle with.  My general philosophy (in 2p) is not to take it unless it prevents me from firing my own chain, or an especially key buy.

The recommendation above of "if you're going to take them anyway, might as well do it", is very far from my viewpoint.  I've won by limping it out and firing my own mega turn later, but its very very rare that you win from a 10-0 curse split.

Like all dominion advice, I suspect the answer is "it depends on the table" etc. etc., but I can't remember a time in which I repeatedly said "Yes, its worth gaining multiple curses to make sure I fire this hand".  The obvious cases (you have trasher / forge / trader / watchtower / cellar / warehouse) are pretty straight forward.

The later the game goes, the more willing I am to do it, but torturer chaining is a slippery slope. 

I'm pretty terrible at torturer chains. But I guess I'll chime in enough to say curses early mean more than curses late, though if you're taking them all anyway, don't kill a good hand now.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 02:31:36 pm »

One way to look at it is that gaining the Curse isn't so bad when you consider that Witch/Sea Hag/Familiar just give you a Curse outright. 

Torturer really has two key strengths as I see it: 1. The +3 Cards is deceptively the most useful trait of the Torturer, 2. The Control aspect of the card. 

You just can't let it control your thinking.  The Torturer player wants you (whether he knows it or not) to be in the mindset of "I have to discard all of my hands or I'll get Curses!"  I would equate it to Embargo in that sense.  There have been many games where I'll Embargo Silver before my opponent buys any for this very same reason: controlling my opponent's actions.  Experienced players don't fall for it often, but I've seen many opt to ignore Silver (often a critical card), causing them to have economy troubles the entire game rather than take a single Curse and suffer minimal damage.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9624
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 02:35:19 pm »

When I have Masquerade in hand.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 02:38:44 pm »

Honestly, when I first saw Torturer I thought "This is the best attack to get hit by! I get to choose whatever hurts me the least."  Which I understand is not the usual first reaction to Torturer. But then I noticed it said "Discard 2 cards" instead of "Discard to 3 cards in hand"

He/him

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 02:47:03 pm »

Just to clarify, if you intend to fire off your own Torturer chain at some point, then I don't consider that a situation in which you are "going to end up taking all (most) of the Curses anyway". The situations where there is Torturer and a Village on the board and you choose to do something else are pretty rare, but those are the situations which I was referring to.

Epoch

• Tactician
  • Respect: +38
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 06:23:02 pm »
+4

The worst-case scenario when facing Village/Torturer is that you throw away hand after hand and your deck entirely stalls because you're too reluctant to take Curses.  It is admittedly difficult to win if you're gaining multiple curses per turn, but it is impossible to win if you basically stop taking turns.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 12:05:30 am »

Well my effect with torturer is -1.24 so I'm not exactly an expert here. But here's my philosophy on the card. Much like any other curser, the goal is to win the curse split. So the simple, vague answer of when do I take a curse is ... when it ultimately helps you dish more out. Now dishing out curses here mean you need to be consistently firing your own torturer chains. Which means you want to keep those particular components in your hands and you need to keep enough economy to buy more village/torturer cards. So I would probably say, discard unless you have a good reason to take the curse. Good reasons being you need the money in hand to buy engine cards or you have village/torturers in hand that you want to play.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 03:37:15 am »

My effect with = 1.58 so I might say something here.

A lot of the ground has already be covered, but when dealing with Torturer on the board, I think it's more of a race who gets the chain fired first. That should be your primary goal.

To discard or grab the Curse is often not a difficult decision, just make sure you're not that scared of the Curse. A lot of people go "aaaaargh" when they get Tortured and auto-discard. You should not do this. Keep it cool and look at the situation. In the end that Curse isn't going to hurt you much more than an Estate, especially in Torturer chains. This is because Torturer games are very swingy and whoever gets the momentum going first will probably win by more than the 1 point from the Curse.

Does grabbing the Curse allow you to buy a critical card this turn? Grab it! Is this a wasted turn anyway with 3 Estates and 2 Copper? Happily discard.

Of course there are reasons why you'll willingly want to do either option, e.g. grabbing the Curse with Ambassador in hand or discarding with Menagerie in hand. These cases are trivial and surely anyone will recognize them.

The most important thing is not panicking over a single Curse and of course, try to be the Torturer instead of the Torturee. :)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 04:32:22 am »

The worst-case scenario when facing Village/Torturer is that you throw away hand after hand and your deck entirely stalls because you're too reluctant to take Curses.  It is admittedly difficult to win if you're gaining multiple curses per turn, but it is impossible to win if you basically stop taking turns.

This is kind of the point I was trying to make, but better put. If you're in a situation where you're discarding constantly and the only way to do something is to take Curses, then you're better off taking them ASAP. You're going to get them anyway if you want to not be locked down, and the sooner you take them, the sooner you can get on with not being locked down.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 22 queries.