Dominion > Dominion Articles

Bard is not weak

<< < (11/14) > >>

Skumpy:

--- Quote from: Awaclus on December 25, 2017, 06:32:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: markusin on December 25, 2017, 06:26:15 pm ---
--- Quote from: Awaclus on December 25, 2017, 06:11:35 pm ---
--- Quote from: William Howard Taft on December 19, 2017, 12:05:34 am ---Tracker > Bard

Considering some of the Boons gain Gold, Silver, or Will-O-Wisps (basically Laboratories in the early game), Tracker's topdecking ability is way more valuable to me than $1 extra from Bard.

--- End quote ---

Considering some of the cards in the game cost €5, the extra €1 from Bard is way more valuable than the topdecking.

--- End quote ---

I feel like Bard is somewhat effective in money strategies, making it better for hitting Province later in the game. Tracker is more of a utility card for engines that you pick up on a spare buy.

--- End quote ---

Bard/BM is probably okay, but I think its main utility is definitely that it's very good at hitting €5 after the first reshuffle. I agree with your characterization of Tracker.

--- End quote ---

Another card whose main utility is that it's very good at getting you $5 cards after the first reshuffle is Feast.

Drab Emordnilap:

--- Quote from: Skumpy on December 25, 2017, 08:31:08 pm ---
--- Quote from: Awaclus on December 25, 2017, 06:32:39 pm ---Bard/BM is probably okay, but I think its main utility is definitely that it's very good at hitting €5 after the first reshuffle. I agree with your characterization of Tracker.

--- End quote ---

Another card whose main utility is that it's very good at getting you $5 cards after the first reshuffle is Feast.

--- End quote ---

Another card whose main utility is that it's very good at getting you $5 cards after the first reshuffle is Silver.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: Drab Emordnilap on December 26, 2017, 10:57:18 am ---
--- Quote from: Skumpy on December 25, 2017, 08:31:08 pm ---
--- Quote from: Awaclus on December 25, 2017, 06:32:39 pm ---Bard/BM is probably okay, but I think its main utility is definitely that it's very good at hitting €5 after the first reshuffle. I agree with your characterization of Tracker.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Another card whose main utility is that it's very good at getting you $5 cards after the first reshuffle is Silver.

--- End quote ---

Except it isn't very good, it's the standard by which everything is judged and Feast and Bard are very good in comparison.

Screwyioux:
One thing to bear in mind when evaluating booners and hexers is that some of the balancing comes from unpredictability.
Yes, everything you described makes up a fine $4 terminal silver, but some of Bard's general ineffectiveness comes from not being able to plan your turn or your shuffle around it.

Usually, putting a card in your deck means you have a plan for it, right? At least it should. So where does Bard actually fit into sound decision making in Dominion? When you have essentially infinite terminal space due to excessive villages or no competing terminal actions, so whenever any other terminal silver would fill the role.

Commodore Chuckles:

--- Quote from: Screwyioux on March 27, 2018, 11:30:36 am ---One thing to bear in mind when evaluating booners and hexers is that some of the balancing comes from unpredictability.
Yes, everything you described makes up a fine $4 terminal silver, but some of Bard's general ineffectiveness comes from not being able to plan your turn or your shuffle around it.

Usually, putting a card in your deck means you have a plan for it, right? At least it should. So where does Bard actually fit into sound decision making in Dominion? When you have essentially infinite terminal space due to excessive villages or no competing terminal actions, so whenever any other terminal silver would fill the role.

--- End quote ---

Precisely. Whenever you decide to get Bard, the rationale is always "eh, sure, why not?" The things it does (trashing, +Buy) can be important, but only if you can do them a lot and reliably. Bard does neither, so it will never be a crucial card. That alone is enough to make it very weak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version