Dominion > Dominion Articles

Bard is not weak

<< < (10/14) > >>

William Howard Taft:
Tracker > Bard

Considering some of the Boons gain Gold, Silver, or Will-O-Wisps (basically Laboratories in the early game), Tracker's topdecking ability is way more valuable to me than $1 extra from Bard.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: William Howard Taft on December 19, 2017, 12:05:34 am ---Tracker > Bard

Considering some of the Boons gain Gold, Silver, or Will-O-Wisps (basically Laboratories in the early game), Tracker's topdecking ability is way more valuable to me than $1 extra from Bard.

--- End quote ---

Considering some of the cards in the game cost €5, the extra €1 from Bard is way more valuable than the topdecking.

markusin:

--- Quote from: Awaclus on December 25, 2017, 06:11:35 pm ---
--- Quote from: William Howard Taft on December 19, 2017, 12:05:34 am ---Tracker > Bard

--- End quote ---

Considering some of the cards in the game cost €5, the extra €1 from Bard is way more valuable than the topdecking.

--- End quote ---

I feel like Bard is somewhat effective in money strategies, making it better for hitting Province later in the game. Tracker is more of a utility card for engines that you pick up on a spare buy.

Awaclus:

--- Quote from: markusin on December 25, 2017, 06:26:15 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

I feel like Bard is somewhat effective in money strategies, making it better for hitting Province later in the game. Tracker is more of a utility card for engines that you pick up on a spare buy.

--- End quote ---

Bard/BM is probably okay, but I think its main utility is definitely that it's very good at hitting €5 after the first reshuffle. I agree with your characterization of Tracker.

markusin:

--- Quote from: Awaclus on December 25, 2017, 06:32:39 pm ---
--- Quote from: markusin on December 25, 2017, 06:26:15 pm ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Bard/BM is probably okay, but I think its main utility is definitely that it's very good at hitting €5 after the first reshuffle. I agree with your characterization of Tracker.

--- End quote ---

The other thing to consider is that when it's not helping you hit $5 more than a terminal Silver, it is probably gaining you something. Reading your OP, five of the options are helping you hit $5-$6 (roughly a terminal Gold) more than a terminal silver would, and another four are gaining you something. The Wisp is particularly useful if you get it early enough. The remaining three include a trasher and a cartographer effect. The top deck from discard effect is the dud early on.

The problem with Bard is that it doesn't do any particular thing consistently as a terminal. There are terminals that always trash (e.g. Remake, Temple) , or always gain (e.g. Armory, Duplicate), or always sift/cycle (e.g. Smithy, Navigator). Bard is this small bag of tricks that makes me feel that it is best when your deck doesn't need to do anything particularly impressive, which is why I say Bard works nicely in money games. Those games are not as popular nowadays.

It also sucks if the $5 is terminal and keeps colliding with Bard.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version