Dominion > Rules Questions

Changeling: rules bug?

(1/3) > >>

crj:
I see what the Changeling card says, and its intent is pretty clear.

However, the rulebook (which, by my understanding, takes precedence over the card text even if it's directly contradictory) says:

--- Quote ---you cannot do it if the cost is neither more or less than $3
--- End quote ---

Um! Er. While the intent of that is also pretty clear, it doesn't say what it means. A card costing exactly $3 has a cost that is neither more or less than $3 and the rules therefore say you can't exchange such a card on gain for a Changeling. /-8

sudgy:
I've always thought that it was Donald > Card Text > Rulebook.  Donald always tries interpreting rules confusion by looking at what the card says, not the rulebook.

Donald X.:

--- Quote from: crj on November 16, 2017, 01:23:05 pm ---I see what the Changeling card says, and its intent is pretty clear.

However, the rulebook (which, by my understanding, takes precedence over the card text even if it's directly contradictory) says:

--- Quote ---you cannot do it if the cost is neither more or less than $3
--- End quote ---

Um! Er. While the intent of that is also pretty clear, it doesn't say what it means. A card costing exactly $3 has a cost that is neither more or less than $3 and the rules therefore say you can't exchange such a card on gain for a Changeling. /-8

--- End quote ---
Thanks, as always we will try to fix these things for future printings.

You can exchange a $3 for Changeling.

ConMan:
The intent seems to be something closer to "You can't exchange for something whose cost cannot be directly compared with $3, such as Transmute (which costs a Potion) or Royal Blacksmith (which costs 8D)."

Kirian:
What about:

Alchemist, Golem, Familiar: $3+P is more than $3
Fortune: $8+8D is more than $3

Search me why you would want a changeling instead, but hey, edge cases abound.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version