Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Outpost comeback  (Read 979 times)

A_S00

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
Outpost comeback
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:17:35 pm »

An interesting one from today:

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201202/20/game-20120220-165521-30e94fae.html

My opponent opens Lab/Haven on a 5/2 split.  I open Woodcutter/Potion for the Scrying Pool engine, intending to buy up some Labs and money to go with it and maybe pull off double Province buys late in the game.  Unfortunately, I draw my potion on T5 with C/E/E/E, delaying the Pools by a lot.  I try and catch up by buying a second Potion (along with a Haven) the first time I hit $6, which in retrospect was probably a mistake; it ends up meaning I don't get much money into my deck until very late in the game (I buy my first and only Gold on T12, the same turn my opponent buys his second Province).

By this point I know I'm way too far behind to try for the double Province buys, but I do have an engine that's reliably generating $10, and Outpost is on the board, so on T14, after an unlucky hand for my opponent loses him a turn of Province buying, I opt for Duchy/Outpost instead of keeping up on Provinces.

After that, I'm taking 2 turns to my opponent's 1, but I have to spend an action to use Outpost each time, which means I can't get any +buy on the Outpost turns.  On top of that, with only 8 of the Scrying Pools in my deck, I'm just barely able to draw enough each turn to keep me going, often playing the last Pool in my hand in the hopes of finding another one on top of my deck, and my opponent snags a nice Province+Duchy turn on T15.  In the end, though, the cards line up just well enough for me to pick up Province, Duchy/Duchy on T15 and Duchy, Province/Estate on T16, winning the game by a single point.

I don't think I really should have won this game; I think my deck should have stalled before the end of the game (that is, I should have had a turn where I ran out of Pools before I had enough of my deck in my hand to get the buys I needed), and that it only worked as well as it did because I got lucky.  In hindsight, I think it would have been better for me to buy money earlier instead of going for the extra Potion.  I also should have been setting aside green cards instead of my Spice Merchant with my Havens when I was drawing my entire deck; that would have made it slightly easier for my Pools to get through my deck.

But yeah, just thought I'd share, cause I thought it was a cool game.  Thoughts?

Tahtweasel

• Navigator
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
Re: Outpost comeback
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:35:30 pm »

Outpost is excellent in Scrying Pool games - and with Haven, it's even more of a no-brainer. Even on your absolute worst Outpost turns, you could probably get at least a Haven. Haven gets picked up for free by your Scrying Pools, and allows you to send your victory cards forward by a turn, so they don't stop the Scrying Pool draws.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 20 queries.