Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Puzzle: Smuggler's Choice  (Read 3506 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Puzzle: Smuggler's Choice
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:06:31 am »
+2

You want to give the player to your left their pick of anything in the Supply (costing or less) to gain with their Smuggler.  Can you construct a turn where you gain every card in the Supply that Smuggler is allowed to gain?  Bonus points given for efficiency and creativity (so not just, I have a billion coins and a billion buys).

Your choice of Kingdom, though obviously Smuggler has to be included.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzle: Smuggler's Choice
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:31:52 am »
+2

Kingdom: King's Court, Border Village, Skulk, Duchess, Haggler, Smugglers, Hunting Grounds, Trader, Watchtower, Cache.

Buy a Province with 10 Hagglers in play. One of those Haggler gains is a 1) Border Village that gains a Duchy, gaining a Duchess (giving room to gain a Curse instead of one of the 10 Kingdom cards). Another Haggler gains a 2) Skulk, gaining a Gold in the process. Another gain is a 3) Cache, gaining 2 Coppers, but you reveal Trader to turn one of those Copper gains into a Silver gain. Another gain is a 4) Hunting Grounds, but you trash it with Watchtower to gain 3 Estates. Gains 5-10 off Haggler are Curse, King's Court, Trader, Watchtower, Smugglers, and Haggler.

The only thing they can't gain is the Province. Is that okay for the rules?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:33:29 am by markusin »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 11:35:46 am »
+4

With 10 Hagglers in play, they can't gain a Haggler, either. :)  Maybe swap out King's Court for Overlord?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:37:42 am by werothegreat »
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:41:57 am »

With 10 Hagglers in play, they can't gain a Haggler, either. :)  Maybe swap out King's Court for Overlord?

But then your opponent can't gain an overlord because of the cost.

EDIT: Ah I see, you don't have to let them gain cards costing more or different than .
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:43:19 am by ThetaSigma12 »
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 11:42:08 am »
+2

Simple solution:

Kingdom is King's Court, Engineer, Forge, City Quarter, Royal Blacksmith, Prince, Bank, Expand, Smugglers, Peddler

Hand is KC, KC, Engineer, City Quarter, Forge. Play CQ to draw another Engineer, a Gold, and a Duchy. Then

KC
  KC
   Engineer, gaining Curse, Copper, Smugglers, Silver (from trashing Engineer)
   Engineer, gaining Estate [there would be room for more cards here]
   Forge, trashing Gold for Gold and Duchy for Duchy.

EDIT: Adding Scheme and Swapping out Forge for Remodel, you can realistically set this up in a game.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:44:48 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2017, 11:57:59 am »
+1

Kingdom: King's Court, Border Village, Skulk, Duchess, Haggler, Smugglers, Hunting Grounds, Trader, Watchtower, Cache.

Buy a Province with 10 Hagglers in play. One of those Haggler gains is a 1) Border Village that gains a Duchy, gaining a Duchess (giving room to gain a Curse instead of one of the 10 Kingdom cards). Another Haggler gains a 2) Skulk, gaining a Gold in the process. Another gain is a 3) Cache, gaining 2 Coppers, but you reveal Trader to turn one of those Copper gains into a Silver gain. Another gain is a 4) Hunting Grounds, but you trash it with Watchtower to gain 3 Estates. Gains 5-10 off Haggler are Curse, King's Court, Trader, Watchtower, Smugglers, and Haggler.

The only thing they can't gain is the Province. Is that okay for the rules?

Replace King's Court with Catacombs; add Ferry, and put Ferry on Hunting Grounds.

Buy a Border Village with 8 Hagglers in play.
Haggler 1: gain Skulk gaining Gold
Haggler 2: gain Cache gaining Copper, replacing with Silver with Trader, and Copper
Haggler 3: gain Hunting Grounds, trashing with Watchtower, gaining 3x Estate
Haggler 4: gain Catacombs, trashing with Watchtower, gaining Trader
Haggler 5-8: gain Watchtower, Smugglers, Haggler, Curse
Border Village on-gain: gain Duchy, gaining Duchess

What's more, all 10 Kingdom cards cost $6 or less.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2017, 12:27:49 pm »

I put the KC in there so it would be believable that you could get 10 Hagglers into play.

Edit: I guess Overlord works too because you can play them as the Border Villages you need to draw and play 10 Hagglers?

Edit 2: Overlord can't play Border Village without cost reduction, and reducing the cost of BV with Ferry means you can't gain Duchy with it, but that's okay because you can have BV gain Estate and you can gain Duchy from the trashing of Hunting Grounds instead. So yeah, you can put Ferry token on BV to make the play possible.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 04:26:58 pm by markusin »

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 01:29:31 am »

Kingdom is Smugglers, Haggler, City, Explorer, Laboratory, Treasure Trove, and 4 other 5-cost cards.

Play 1 City & Labs until you get one Haggler, Explorer, a Treasure Trove and 8 charms:

Action Phase:
-> Play Explorer -> gain a Silver
-> Play Haggler

Buy Phase:
-> Play Charms for card gains
-> Play Treasure Trove: gain a Gold and a Copper
-> Play Silver

Buy a Haggler
-> Charm gains: gain 1 of each of the other 5-cost cards
-> Haggler gain: gain a Smugglers

You've gained 1 of each of the 10 kingdom cards, plus a Gold, Silver and Copper

There's 1 Charm left for them and plenty of the other cards.

Edit:

<--- snip --->
C plays a Wild Hunt.
C gains an Estate.
C takes 5 VP from the Wild Hunt pile.
C plays an Explorer.
C gains a Silver.
C plays a City.
C shuffles their deck.
C draws an Estate.
C plays a Laboratory.
C plays a Haggler.
C plays 8 Charms, 5 Silvers, a Capital and a Copper.
C buys a Charm.
C gains a Laboratory, a Market, a Sentry, an Explorer, a Smugglers, a City, a Haggler, a Capital and a Wild Hunt.
C gains a Charm.
C buys a Gold.
C gains a Curse.
C gains a Gold.
C buys a Duchy.
C gains a Copper.
C gains a Duchy.

That's 16/17 cards in the supply.

I forgot I was going to use Treasure Trove; it might be more efficient/plausible to use Crown here.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 01:56:31 am by Cave-o-sapien »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:40:03 am »

Let's make things more interesting (or rather, formalize things a bit):

* You are limited to one buy
* Every card in the Supply, other than Province, must cost or less.
* You cannot gain anything with Smugglers yourself.

Extra credit is given if you can add in Ruins, Potion, and Young Witch.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 06:41:44 am by werothegreat »

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:00:18 am »

Let's make things more interesting (or rather, formalize things a bit):

* You are limited to one buy
* Every card in the Supply, other than Province, must cost or less.
* You cannot gain anything with Smugglers yourself.

Extra credit is given if you can add in Ruins, Potion, and Young Witch.
How would I be able to add Potion if every card in the supply costs $6 or less? Are we including Black Market?

navical

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 07:08:34 am »

Edit: This doesn't work because I forgot to include Smugglers. Oops. Not sure how to fix it: we can replace Village with Smugglers but you can't then get the required cards into play.

We can only get Potion into the supply if we also include Black Market, which always feels a little like cheating. I can manage Young Witch and the top Ruins, though:

Kingdom:
Charm, Haggler, Catacombs, Cache, Cultist, Bazaar, Trader, Watchtower (Bane), Young Witch, Skulk, Village

Bazaar + Village + Catacombs lets you draw & play 7 Hagglers and 6 Charms
(8 Bazaars and 8 Villages gives plenty of terminal space for 8 Catacombs and 7 Hagglers. The Catacombses draw 24 cards, plus 5 in your starting hand; you need to draw 7 Hagglers, 6 Charms, 8 Catacombs, 1 Trader, 1 Watchtower, and 3 Estates - you can trash Coppers with Trader - which is 26 cards in total, which is less than 29.)

Buy Duchy
Charm-gain: Charm, Haggler, Catacombs (reveal Watchtower to trash, gaining Estate), Cache (reveal Trader to gain Silver instead of one Copper), Cultist, Bazaar
Haggler-gain: Watchtower, Trader, Curse, Young Witch, Skulk (gaining Gold), Village, top Ruins (which is the same as the next one)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 07:36:47 am by navical »

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2017, 07:12:35 am »
+2

Anyway, here is a minimalistic solution:

Kingdom is: Black Market, Stonemason, Hermit, Young Witch, Death Cart, Royal Carriage, Smugglers and some other cards costing $6 or less.

My deck is 7 Provinces, 4 Gold, 2 Stonemasons, 8 Royal Carriages, and 4 Madmen to draw it all.

Each Stonemason play gains me 2 of the cards I need. Calling all the RCs, I can gain 20 cards total: 11 kingdom cards, Gold, Potion, Silver, Copper, Estate, Curse, Duchy are 18. Plus two Ruins. The Death Cart gain gives me two more Ruins. Finally I use my single buy to get the fifth Ruins. Of course they are all different.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2017, 02:18:57 pm »

Kingdom: Smuggler, Engineer, King's Court, any seven piles you can't Smuggle from.

The Estate and Duchy piles are empty.

Play King's Court on Engineer. Gain Curse, Copper, Silver, Smuggler. (Trash the Engineer the third time you play it.)

navical

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »
+1

No Black Market - so no Potion, since we can't have Potion-cost cards in the Kingdom, no Events, and no gains other than as a result of buying a single card:

Kingdom:
Charm, Haggler, Catacombs, Cache, Cultist, Bazaar, Trader, Young Witch, Skulk, Watchtower (Bane), Smugglers; Shelters

Deck: 8 Cultists, 8 Bazaars, 7 Hagglers, 6 Charms, 1 Necropolis, 2 Catacombs, 1 Trader, 1 Watchtower
(Trader can trash Coppers, and with a Watchtower in hand can trash Shelters).
The trash contains your 9 starting cards, plus two Silvers from trashing the Shelters.
Your opponent's deck consists of their starting cards and a single Smugglers.
The bottom two Ruins are the same.

Play 8 Bazaars and a Necropolis, leaving 10 actions, leaving a hand of 4 Cultists.
Play 8 Cultists (chained) and 2 Catacombs, leaving 7 actions and drawing 22 cards. You need to draw 4 Cultists, 2 Catacombs, 7 Hagglers, 6 Charms, 1 Trader, and 1 Watchtower = 21 cards, so this works.
Play 7 Hagglers, so you now have no actions.
Play 6 Charms, always taking the gaining option.

Buy Duchy
Gain from Charm: Charm, Haggler, Catacombs (reveal Watchtower to trash, gaining Estate), Cache (reveal Trader to gain Silver instead of one Copper), Cultist, Bazaar
Gain from Haggler: Watchtower, Trader, Curse, Young Witch, Skulk (gaining Gold), Smugglers, the penultimate Ruins.

There are 19 Supply piles, of which only Province does not cost $6 or less, and your opponent can Smuggle from any of the 18 other Supply piles.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 08:47:07 pm »
+1

Here's what I think is an analytically simple solution.

Get a Page, play a Champion.
Draw your deck, either with Lurker/Hireling/Bonfire (repeatedly) or Native Village (built-up one-shot).
On the megaturn, play 2xBridge and gain a copy of each thing (except Province) with mass Workshop, Ironworks and Armory. Don't buy anything.
Young Witch is on the board, and Page is the bane.
Cultist and Ruins are on the board.

There are 11 kingdom piles, 3 victory piles (but don't count Province), 1 curse pile, 1 ruins pile and 3 (basic) treasure piles. 4 if we put Black Market in the kingdom and a potion-cost card in the Black Market deck.

So we have to gain 18-19 cards; that's 7xWorkshop+6xIronworks+6xArmory, leaving 2xWorkshop for your opponent to gain one of.

Kingdom: Lurker, Page, Black Market, Smugglers, Workshop, Armory, Bridge, Ironworks, Young Witch, Cultist, Hireling — Events/Landmarks: Bonfire

EDIT: Oh derp, the two top ruins aren't necessarily the same. So we might have to gain 5 Ruins before the one on top of the pile is one we've gained, so we need to gain 23 cards. That's 8/8/7 copies of Workshop/Ironworks/Armory. That still leaves one of each for my opponent to gain (even 2xArmory). Heterogeneous piles nerf Smugglers.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:58:03 pm by jonaskoelker »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 21 queries.