Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Seprix's Tier Lists For Every Dominion Set  (Read 41340 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
Seprix's Tier Lists For Every Dominion Set
« on: November 13, 2017, 11:58:38 pm »
+21

Want to complain about useless rankings that have no real basis in actual gameplay? This is the place for you. The cards are roughly tiered in their subcatagories where I would imagine they would be. If Witch being ranked below Artisan is just crazy, well maybe it is. They're pretty similar in dominance, so there. It's a rough estimate. And you can always convince me to move a card up or down.

A special note about Villages: You're always going to get one. You can make an argument about putting them all on A, or even freaking S. You can't build engines without Villages, period. So in order to not make this list completely stupid, I have implemented a special rule with Villages: With any given village on the board, compare it to any sort of other alternate Village on the Kingdom. If you find yourself picking it up less, then it goes lower than A. If you find yourself picking it up more than that random Village, it could very well stay where it is, or go straight to S. That's the standard I am implementing.

Finally, if you're going to complain about rankings being useless, just press Alt-Back arrow. This is a discussion about the tier lists, not on whether tier lists are good or whether ranking systems are even useful. Plenty of threads for that convo. But anyways, on to the lists.

Base Set

Someone complained about Curse being on the same section as Mine, so just think of that more as me being too lazy to make another tier, because that's exactly what happened. Besides, with the advent of Empires I have found myself buying Curse more than Mine at least.

Chapel and Sentry are pretty much some of the top trashers in the game. Some people are more down on Sentry because sometimes it whiffs, but really, try ignoring Sentry and you straight up lose. Witch for some reason has people rating it lower, just because it's not a shiny new card. Cursing is still good in 2017.

Throne Room isn't S because well, it's the spice card of Dominion. If the Kingdom is good, it will be good. If there's absolutely nothing salvagable about the Kingdom, then well Throne Room is terrible. Kingdoms trend heavily towards being strong for Throne Room. Really, you could convince me to make it S.

Oh, you probably just noticed I put Copper, Silver, Estate, and the works on this list. Well they were introduced in the Base, so there you have it. I'll try to do that with all of the Set lists, with the major exception of the Boons/Hexes and maybe the Ruins. Who needs to know those, Qvist will suit you just fine, there's not enough of those to warrant any sort of tier list.

There was some griping about Laboratory, so let me explain that one. It's a nonterminal Moat. It's not exciting, it's probably one of the worst draw cards in the game. But it still draws. It just never feels good straight up buying one. Almost like there's some efficiency lost. Maybe it's just me. It totally could be.

Intrigue

Masquerade is the best overall card in Dominion besides maybe Donate. If you're not opening it, you're probably playing the Kingdom wrong. I have it rated higher than everything besides the very strongest cards, such as Donate and King's Court. It's an "ignore and lose" card. It cycles, it trashes, and it puts psychological pressure on the opponent. It's a potent weapon.

Bridge is busted. An Awaclism: "When Bridge is on the board, build the engine or lose." I can't argue with that. Steward's strength is in its flexibility. It can trash, draw, give economy, all of that. I also really really really wanted to put Swindler into S. It warps games absolutely. But in the end, I was talked off of the cliff.

Lurker was hard to place. It could be in A, really. It's a tough one. I put it in B because people overbuy it, but that's all really. Harem also makes the worst art and the worst rank. What a shock.

I think this will mostly be uncontroversial minus Vineyards being S maybe. Not too much to say. Maybe Golem is a bit low.

Double Lookout opening is very strong. I'm saying it now. People are going to go ballistic that I put it in S. And heck, maybe it belongs in A. But surely it's close to the top of A if so. The fact that Lookout gets a bit awkward later, that's a small price to pay for the amazing combo of trashing and cycling.

(more coming soon...)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:46:18 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Seprix's Tier Lists For Every Dominion Set
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:05:19 am »
+1

I like this. I have only looked at your Base rankings so far. One thing that really stands out to me is where Remodel is. I feel it is shockingly low. The card is great in engines. I mean, there could be other Remodel variants, but Remodel is still nice.

I would put Lab on Tier A, but hey, it's your list.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 12:14:27 am »
+1

I like this. I have only looked at your Base rankings so far. One thing that really stands out to me is where Remodel is. I feel it is shockingly low. The card is great in engines. I mean, there could be other Remodel variants, but Remodel is still nice.

I would put Lab on Tier A, but hey, it's your list.

Remodel might very well be too low. I did this list while having a majorly stressed weekend with little sleep. I might look at this tomorrow and think, "wow what was I thinking".
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:19:30 am »
+9

I don't think I ever realized how little attention I paid to the artwork until now.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 12:38:29 am »

I haven't even read this yet but kudos on the presentation. It's a joy to look at.

Edit: have now read it.

Is Minion too low?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 12:43:05 am by Cave-o-sapien »

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1674
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 12:56:12 am »
+1

Two cards that most stand out as being out of place:
How is artisan top tier? 
Why is Wishing well so high?

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 02:48:46 am »
+3

Agreed that Artisan is not S-tier. On the low end of Base, Gardens and Duchy should definitely be swapped out, and Remodel can move up. On Intrigue, Baron and Nobles are too low, and Mill, Secret Passage and Courtyard are too high.

Patrol and Wishing Well could arguably stand to be moved down a tier as well.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 07:44:40 am »
+4

I refuse to be obviously bated into disagreeing about the subjective strengths of cards!

...Whom am I kidding. Wishing Well should be lower.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

ghost_of_jonts

• Scout
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:36 am »
+6

S-Tier stands for Scout Tier, right?

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:15 am »

Considering changes to Wishing Well.
Duchy and Gardens will be changed.
Anyone care to convince me on why Remodel should be higher?

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 10:06:02 am »
+1

Curious what prompted you to make the list? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having a tiered list that helps people quickly identify key cards, but I thought you would be one of the last people to post one...

The 4 tiers would include an “S” tier, an “A” tier, a “B”, tier and a “C” tier.
We have Qvist rankings and now Adam rankings, do we need a third list? Just take Adam's rankings and tier those.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 10:09:47 am »

Oh, and Remodel trashes, but I don't think there is anything in the list that I would rank more than 1 level different. I would put Moneylender in A and Remodel in B. Vassel could be C in my opinion; I just don't use it very much successfully, but maybe that's on me!

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 10:18:42 am »
+3

Seprix was aping off my tier lists from last night. These are them.

Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 11:00:15 am »

Curious what prompted you to make the list? Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of having a tiered list that helps people quickly identify key cards, but I thought you would be one of the last people to post one...

The 4 tiers would include an “S” tier, an “A” tier, a “B”, tier and a “C” tier.
We have Qvist rankings and now Adam rankings, do we need a third list? Just take Adam's rankings and tier those.

It's for fun mostly.  ;D

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 11:00:58 am »

Seprix was aping off my tier lists from last night. These are them.

They're also absolutely wrong.  8)

filovirus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 11:09:11 am »
+17

"This is a terrible idea, just drop it altogether." - Seprix

This was the response I got when I was trying to get a community tier list.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 11:16:12 am »
+6

The main difference is that I'm not doing this to create some standard. It was just something fun I wanted to do. But yes, I'm a jerk. I apologize for being rude.

filovirus

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:47 am »
+2

The main difference is that I'm not doing this to create some standard. It was just something fun I wanted to do. But yes, I'm a jerk. I apologize for being rude.

I still hold to my opinion that there is value in community perception of card strengths, and that on a whole it would be pretty accurate. I like this kind of thing, and value your opinions on your tier list.

filovirus

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 11:31:53 am »
+2

Here was Mic Qsenoch's rough and dirty list for Base cards

Cellar - C
Chapel - S
Moat - B
Harbinger - B
Merchant - B
Vassal - C
Village - A
Workshop - B
Bureaucrat - D
Gardens - D
Militia - A
Moneylender - A
Poacher - B
Remodel - B
Smithy - A
Throne Room – S
Bandit - B
Council Room - B
Festival - A
Laboratory - A
Library - B
Market - B
Mine - D
Sentry - S
Witch - S
Artisan - S

filovirus

• Coppersmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 11:37:54 am »

I did just that and have the list. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will get you the list.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 12:12:38 pm »
+2

I did just that and have the list. If anyone is interested, PM me and I will get you the list.

pastebin.com is a pretty cool site
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 02:08:49 pm »
+1

Base:

You overrated Sentry... a bit. I know Sentry is everyone's new favorite card to bash and it's being undervalued as a result, but the fact that it can't trash from your hand really is a big problem.

Library should be in C.

Moat should be in D. It's rarely worth the space it takes up in your deck.

Man, why does everyone hate Cellar? That card can be a lifesaver. I'd put it in C.

Vassal could maybe be in C; it needs a lot of support for it to be worth the trouble.

Remodel is better than Workshop.

Also, when ranking a card, are you taking into account all of the expansions, or just the set it's in? Because Gold gets way better in Base-only.

Intrigue:

Minion is mid-tier wut.

I agree with everyone else on Wishing Well. Should be way lower.

Mill better than Swindler? I'd put it in B.

Lurker is definitely too low; maybe should be lower A.

Conspirator is better than Mining Village.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:15:54 pm by Commodore Chuckles »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2017, 03:11:40 pm »
+2

I like Mine.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2017, 04:02:52 pm »
+2

i'm not sure that I agree with Bridge being on S tier.  A, yes, but I have had a lot of games where I cannot support more than 1 bridge, and while it is useful, bridge really wants to be played in multiples to really shine.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2017, 05:56:33 pm »

New list up. Alchemy. Man oh man Alchemy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.