Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dungeon Run  (Read 102 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1458
    • View Profile
Dungeon Run
« on: November 08, 2017, 12:23:10 am »

The next expansion of Hearthstone will introduce a PvE deck-building mode called Dungeon Run. (Oddly, I can't find an official announcement to link, but there's been plenty of third-party coverage over the past few days.)

I assume Peter Whalen (of Dream Quest fame) was involved. I'm looking forward to trying it, although the demo makes it look like every run starts with a few boringly easy bosses, so that's not great.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2540
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Run
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 01:05:01 am »

PvE arena? Uh, no thanks.
Also you probably are an expert if you buy two bureaucrats early.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1458
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 01:26:57 am »

PvE arena? Uh, no thanks.
The deck-building mechanic is entirely different from arena. You're offered dungeon-run-specific effects, dungeon-run-specific cards, and bundles of ordinary cards as you progress through the run.

IDK if it will have any lasting value as a mode, but it's something quite distinct from the other modes they've done.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2540
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 02:09:58 am »

How is that different? Here are three things, pick one of the three things to modify your deck and prepare you for a random set of possible foes (random bosses instead of random classes played by humans)

It's about as different as when a new set releases, we're now offered Knights of the Frozen Throne specific cards in arena now.  If you want me to count Dungeon Run as a new expansion, sure, it's that.  But it's not sealed or something.

I don't know how I'm supposed to be extra excited about the cards that cost 0 mana and start in your hand.  Nonccg RPG elements in the ccg game, sure.

I'll play this, though.  It's a new expansion.  It's just one I have to play against AI which is likely to be less fun.  I expect I'll get less out of it than Halloween.
Also you probably are an expert if you buy two bureaucrats early.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +1880
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 09:33:17 am »

How is that different? Here are three things, pick one of the three things to modify your deck and prepare you for a random set of possible foes (random bosses instead of random classes played by humans)

It's about as different as when a new set releases, we're now offered Knights of the Frozen Throne specific cards in arena now.  If you want me to count Dungeon Run as a new expansion, sure, it's that.  But it's not sealed or something.

I don't know how I'm supposed to be extra excited about the cards that cost 0 mana and start in your hand.  Nonccg RPG elements in the ccg game, sure.

I'll play this, though.  It's a new expansion.  It's just one I have to play against AI which is likely to be less fun.  I expect I'll get less out of it than Halloween.

I wish I played more Halloween arena.

At the end of the day, it's still single player (against presumably a lousy AI). I have several other things I could be doing with my limited time, like play a game built around single player (e.g. a first person shooter) or play some games of Dominion against the bot.

I will try it though. It's a way to get some possibly fun Hearthstone action without having to get the newest cards.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.