Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Cards you only need one copy of  (Read 16297 times)

Geronimoo

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +868
    • View Profile
    • Geronimoo's Dominion Simulator
Re: Cards you only need one copy of
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 05:45:21 am »

I've bought two moneylenders before in a multiplayer where two players had mountebank. Sure, it upped my curse density a little, but curses are finite, and moneylender at least upped my treasure density enough to allow me to start getting consistent duchies before the game three-piled.
If your goal is getting Duchies, then Coppers aren't bad and you should probably buy Silver over Moneylender so you don't trim your deck to the point where you're drawing more Curses.

MasterAir

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 10:19:18 am »

I've often wondered if, when dealing with the Mountebank's attack, you aren't better off trashing the copper than the curse (if you can only trash one), so that you have the curse to react to more Mountebanks being played.  Sure, copper is better than curse, but if it's a pseudo-moat as well, then there is a discussion to be had.  Also, copper isn't terrible if you're aiming at Duchies, but if there are curses around then you need better than just copper to buy even duchies, and more still if you want to have a chance at provinces.  I think in a Mountebank game, a couple of Moneylenders might not be the worst idea in the world.

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +766
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 01:31:20 pm »

I'm going to have a hard time coming up with cards I'd only EVER want one copy of. Chapel is pretty close, but you may stockpile them late game with vinyards. You might also consider remodeling curses to chapels if you have any reason for preferring a dead chapel to a dead estate (e.g. you have a scrying pool deck, you don't want to pile out the estates, etc.), and lastly in a second chapel can be useful if you are doing something like WV/chap/Peddler to get the peddler price down to 2.

As far as other contenders - outpost works good with multiple copies in menage decks where you will get to good hand sizes, but not maybe draw the whole deck (e.g. late game when provinces start clogging up the menages a second outpost increases the odds of getting a second turn & getting two good point buys).

Forge is excellent upgrade/governor/remake bait so I will often toss a second one in to a mix with any of those if I hit 7 in the mid game. With colonies out, it is an easy shot to forge a forge with the appropriate card into either a plat or a colony.

Multiple moneylender's is a bit more problematic, but I'd be inclined to get a second one in a jester-engine war if I have an otherwise useless 4 coin had. I'd also maybe grab multiple moneylenders in a goons engine where I can reliably draw my deck and have enough actions to kill the coppers.

Trading post is likely the strongest contender for one copy only - it has a high opportunity cost, it is a trasher that decreases in usefulness over time, and collision isn't pretty. Still, I could see something like a board with hamlet/trading post/familiar where opening off a 5/2 split to trading post/hamlet/trading post is better than other options.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2012, 05:43:07 pm »

Actually, on the topic of Goons, my housemate recently built a Goons engine in a game which (ab)used multiple chapels, along with cities and some +draw (which apparently mostly came FROM the cities...) to draw decent portions of his deck, trash away coppers, then use extra buys with the Goons for more coppers. It was probably not quite the best strategy, but beat his opponent's fairly standard but Goon light deck by a landslide.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.