Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2017 Championships - Round of 16 - Dingan vs. Dan Brooks  (Read 2138 times)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
2017 Championships - Round of 16 - Dingan vs. Dan Brooks
« on: November 03, 2017, 09:36:56 pm »
+7

Guess I'll write this up while it's still fresh on my mind, and why not?

Game 1
Just about getting the Torturer-chain going. It was all but over when he won the Squire split 6-3 (or 7-2 or something, not sure). But I was able to Sacrifice Patricians and other fodder as pseudo-village, to play multiple Torturer / Overlord per turn mid game. Several turns I'd buy Sacrifices or an Oasis or whatever just to trash them later.

I had a rules question mid-game involving bidding 40 on Mountain Pass. I had to consider this because there was a very likely end game scenario in which the first Province is bought on the turn the game ends (piles: curse, Squire, Patrician). Then basically whoever does not buy the Province can bid 40 and automatically get the +8VP -- and need not worry about being in debt because the game is over. So I was sort of tempted to leave him the last Emporium for the pile-out, considering if he bought either a Duchy or Province with it, it wouldn't have been enough. Or maybe I was overthinking this one, haha. But an interesting mechanic with Mountain Pass nonetheless.

Game 2
Knights battle (kinda). I think the biggest difference here was Dame Natalie with Caravan Guards. That and I didn't realize how powerful Sir Michael was mid and late game - which he took from me via Graverobber (I underestimated Graverobber here). I basically felt I had no chance of winning about a third of the way through the game, and tried to desperation-Graverobber the Provinces .. and that just doesn't work against DB.

Maybe the Silver-CG opening was that much better than Silver-Silver? Not sure.

Game 3
4/3 >> 5/2. Not sure what else to say. Maybe my second bridge was wrong -- had I not gotten it I think I could have won the Lab split 6-4. Not sure.

I almost wonder if Tournament was skippable here? There are plenty of actions, draw, +Buys without it. The attack part of Followers is pretty much the only thing that any of the Prizes give you that isn't already on the board.

Game 4
I actually think I had this game. But on T7 I dudded because my deck was my 3 Coppers, which I couldn't draw all of. Had 1 of the bottom 2 been a unique, I would have gotten to Gold/HP and remained a half turn behind on the building; Ok, because of my Estate I kept.

Game 5
Straight Rebuild (with help from Scavenger) vs. an attempted engine that leads to Dominate. I'm just not convinced Dominate is plausible here. Someone prove me wrong.

Game 6
Capital / Mandarin game. I like opening Vassal over Silver because of the early sifting. And T-mo to turn Estates -> Silvers. Maybe the T-mo was wrong. But I still like it's situational flexibility -- maybe it can turn a Mandarin into a Capital late? Not sure but it very well could have not been the best opening.

This game came down to shuffles. DB had a terrible first shuffle. And my T10 draw was just oh so perfect - drawing 3 Capitals and being able to T-Mo a Mandarin into a fourth.

Game 7
Envoy BM vs. a Pearl Diver / Nomad Camp / Vineyards thing. I certainly considered both routes at the start of the game. I just didn't think Vineyards would get that high. If anything, I didn't consider Obelisk (not that that was the point difference in the end, but it did affect the game). My second-to-last shuffle was just so so bad -- in a thick deck, I draw my 4 terminals together. I really do wonder how the game would have gone had that shuffle been even slightly better. That one is gonna sting.

I did consider buying a Pearl Diver when there was 1 left just so his Bandit Camps became stop cards. But I just never really felt I had the opportunity. Idk, maybe I should have just spent $5 on it. Not sure how much of a difference it would have made.

I do love seeing 2 completely different strategies in 1 Kingdom come down to the wire. Makes you think. So that was fun.

=====

Any thoughts?

Good luck quarterfinalists!

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
Re: 2017 Championships - Round of 16 - Dingan vs. Dan Brooks
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 01:29:40 am »

Game 5
Straight Rebuild (with help from Scavenger) vs. an attempted engine that leads to Dominate. I'm just not convinced Dominate is plausible here. Someone prove me wrong.

Got you covered on this one :)

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 01:54:58 am »
+1

Game 1 - I think you were ahead (mostly on thinning) before I piled Squires. I think you made better plays overall with Sacrifice especially toward the second half of the game, and I missed an early opportunity to Sacrifice a Squire into a Torturer to balance my Terminal/Village count.

Edit: Didn't realize what you were getting at with the Mountain Pass question. Since it happens between turns, if you empty piles with the first Province you'll never collect the points.

Game 2 - A weird draw limited board. Mining Village and Outpost were both a little better than I gave them credit for initially.

Game 3 - Not much you can do against my draws as P2 there. Maybe Ferry on Bridge, buy Bridge, then try and go for fast multi-bridge turns and get lucky?

Game 4 - I'd be tempted to pick up a Mint on turn 3 here.

Game 5 - I do think Dominate is competitive here, but on 3/4 as player 2, Scavenger/Palace money with light Rebuilding is probably the way to go.

Game 6 - I think I underrated Transmogrify and Summon + Transmogrify a little bit here - getting Capitals into hand is a big deal. I do like Silver in general in Mandarin decks as it's not a bad card to topdeck.

Game 7 - I didn't see the Band of Misfits as Envoy thing and got a little nervous going into the midgame. As the game gets later, I do think that Torturer starts to outshine Envoy as the decks get filled with junk.

Thanks for the games!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 06:01:51 pm by dedicateddan »

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:43:49 am »
+2

I can't tell if you figured this out from your post, but Mountain Pass doesn't work like that. The bidding takes place after the turn so if you end the game by 3 pile on your turn the auction never happens.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 02:34:18 pm »
+1

I can't tell if you figured this out from your post, but Mountain Pass doesn't work like that. The bidding takes place after the turn so if you end the game by 3 pile on your turn the auction never happens.
Oh, really? So, like Donate? Well, nevermind everything I said about it then, haha.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.