Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What did we get wrong before?  (Read 12071 times)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
Re: What did we get wrong before?
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2017, 09:52:22 am »
+5

No one saw Jack of all Trades, Rebuild or Ill Gotten Gains as single card strategies when they first came out. They were first thought to be weak, neutral and useless, respectively, IIRC.

And then it swung to, these are OP single card strategies that are impossible to counter when they are out and are ruining Dominion.

How many times has Dominion been ruined now? I've lost track.

Dominion itself can't get ruined by specific cards. Games with specific cards can well be.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 06:09:16 pm »
+6

No one saw Jack of all Trades, Rebuild or Ill Gotten Gains as single card strategies when they first came out. They were first thought to be weak, neutral and useless, respectively, IIRC.

And then it swung to, these are OP single card strategies that are impossible to counter when they are out and are ruining Dominion.

Dominion itself can't get ruined by specific cards. Games with specific cards can well be.
Nah man, ever since Silver it's just been downhill all the way.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2017, 08:30:38 am »
+3

The Silver Test: If your copy of the game came with Silvers, return it for a refund.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:21:29 am by Cuzz »

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2017, 09:34:45 am »
+3

While this card seems strong, I'm going to come out now and say this card isn't that great, and if there is already trashing and card draw, i'd consider ignoring this card altogether.

lol

The same pitfall that trapped people into buying too many Villages and trapped many people into buying too many Universities will now trap people into buying too many Villas.

The lack of drawing power by Villa makes Villa almost strictly worse than Village, but it's +Buy and +$1 in addition to it's ability to continue a turn make it alright.

I was so busy calling Villa a bad Village that I underappreciated how good the on-gain is.

Enchantress makes Rebuild slightly worse.

"slightly"

I also proposed a Debt system where you typed it as [8] but really now people just type 8D so that could be considered wrong.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ghost_of_jonts

• Scout
  • Respect: +44
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2017, 09:37:48 am »
+1

Yesterday I played a wharf engine with Raid and Conquest. I agree that Silver is way too OP.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2017, 09:54:37 am »
+2

My favorite will always be this one. So melodramatic.

I seem to remember an article that said something like "IGG shows just how bad a card has to be in order to give a Curse on-gain". It's interesting for me to reflect back on that, because even though I initially thought IGG was good, I totally conformed to that article writer's belief under the assumption that they must know better than me. I eventually came around, but it serves as a personal reminder to take initial opinions with a grain of salt.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 21 queries.