Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A traveller line based on discarding  (Read 3069 times)

King Leon

• Witch
  • Respect: +406
    • View Profile
A traveller line based on discarding
« on: October 31, 2017, 11:05:08 am »
+2

This is a small traveller line, which uses discard mechanics. I am open for feedback.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:58:02 am by King Leon »

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
Re: A traveller line based on discarding
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 11:08:22 am »
+1

You need to save the images from the generator, then upload them to an image hosting site, then link those images here. Currently you've tried to insert the entire web page from the generator into an img tag, which is not a thing that works.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 11:17:48 am »

So those images are really huge. Like this big

https://i.imgur.com/ZGJZ1po.png

EDIT: They are no longer this big.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:33:28 am by Drab Emordnilap »

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 11:25:40 am »

So, I hope, that I fixed this.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 11:43:22 am »
+1

I think Ancient Coin should lose the "treated as Copper" thing. That's really inelegant. Instead, you could just make Dowser say "or an Ancient Coin". Also, Ancient Coin is basically a Silver+, unless you play with Night cards.

Spa should have the VP below the line and the play effect above it, not vice versa.

Hospital can generate boundless points without ever bringing the game to a close.

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 11:59:43 am »

Also, Ancient Coin is basically a Silver+, unless you play with Night cards.

... or with Venture. And even Banks are a little weaker.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:51:14 pm by King Leon »

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:30:30 pm »
+1

I think Ancient Coin should lose the "treated as Copper" thing. That's really inelegant. Instead, you could just make Dowser say "or an Ancient Coin".
Agreed.

Hospital can generate boundless points without ever bringing the game to a close.
The VP is tied to Copper-gaining, so it is capped, although it scales badly with number of players going for it.

Also, Ancient Coin is basically a Silver+, unless you play with Night cards.

Yeah, I don't see a reason for Ancient Coin to be worth $2 rather than $1.
It took me a bit to realise that Ancient Coin could trigger Dowser, Source and Hospital. Heirlooms are a really easy and elegant way of making sure a mechanic is available without putting it on the card itself.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +448
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 12:46:59 pm »

Yeah it's important for people reading this thread to pay attention to Ancient Coin, since its discard ability is the detail holding the whole traveller line together.

(Which browser did you generate those preview images in? They have noticeable font issues that I don't see when testing in Chrome or Firefox.)

King Leon

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 08:50:40 pm »

Yeah it's important for people reading this thread to pay attention to Ancient Coin, since its discard ability is the detail holding the whole traveller line together.

(Which browser did you generate those preview images in? They have noticeable font issues that I don't see when testing in Chrome or Firefox.)

I use Firefox on Linux. Maybe I am missing some fonts or this is a Pango/Cairo-related issue.

Ancient Coin gives +2 because your deck will be infested by Copper very fast, like a Goons slog, but without the +Buy.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:59:23 pm by King Leon »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 09:19:12 pm »
+1

Ancient Coin gives +2 because your deck will be infested by Copper very fast, like a Goons slog, but without the +Buy.

It will be only if you go for Hospital. The Heirloom should make sense even if you don't do that.

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 04:06:22 am »

The cards in and of themselves are only there to support Hospital whereas in other Traveller lines you could use them individually, like Treasure Hunter in a Feudum game or Disciple as a brilliant engine piece.
So it all boils down to Hospital. Either this whole line is too weak and nobody will go for it or it is too strong so we will end up with what Asper pointed out: massive Copper-flooding with the end being very far away. Or it is perchance balanced such that many games will be a tight race between e.g. standard Province gaining vs. Hospital strategy.

Only if the line were very well balanced, which is very unlikely, would the cards lead to fun play (waiting until the Copper pile is empty and then some is not what I would call a fun Dominion match).

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 04:36:43 pm »
+1

Hospital's types don't make any sense. Action-Duration... what does that mean? Why would you play it? It doesn't do anything when you play it. It wouldn't stay in play after your turn because it doesn't do anything next turn. It should be a Victory-Reaction, just like Tunnel.

*Edit* Ok, I see that it says "a card", not "this card". So it just needs a "for the rest of the game" wording, like Hireling or Champion.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:37:48 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 08:48:01 pm »

Hospital's types don't make any sense. Action-Duration... what does that mean? Why would you play it? It doesn't do anything when you play it. It wouldn't stay in play after your turn because it doesn't do anything next turn. It should be a Victory-Reaction, just like Tunnel.

*Edit* Ok, I see that it says "a card", not "this card". So it just needs a "for the rest of the game" wording, like Hireling or Champion.

Yeah, I guess it's misleading that the VP part is above the line, when that's where the Action part's supposed to be:

"For the rest of the game, when you discard a card other than during cleanup, you may gain a Copper to get +1VP (This stays in play. This is not in the supply.) | 3VP"
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.