Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Etiquette in Dominion Online  (Read 33913 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Re: Etiquette in Dominion Online
« Reply #100 on: January 20, 2018, 02:42:44 pm »
+3

It's not clear from your post whether you got an undo on your own misclick.

If you did not ask for an undo, or if you asked for an undo and was not granted one, then I think your move wasn't unsporting at all.  It wasn't sporting, but it also isn't unsporting.  It's just baseline expected behavior.

If you did get an undo, then I think your move is slightly unsporting.  But I wouldn't consider it egregiously out of line.  One never has an obligation to agree to an undo, except maybe if the opponent had granted one to you.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 20, 2018, 03:10:42 pm »

It's not clear from your post whether you got an undo on your own misclick.

If you did not ask for an undo, or if you asked for an undo and was not granted one, then I think your move wasn't unsporting at all.  It wasn't sporting, but it also isn't unsporting.  It's just baseline expected behavior.

If you did get an undo, then I think your move is slightly unsporting.  But I wouldn't consider it egregiously out of line.  One never has an obligation to agree to an undo, except maybe if the opponent had granted one to you.

I didn't ask for it and maybe I should have mentioned that, but I don't really like to use the chat so that didn't cross my mind.

I mean, I've been reading a lot about what is seen as courtesy about undoes on the forum and it surprises me a little that two people can say "you did wrong" without even explaining why on issues like these. Why have undoes as a choice if it's so clearly wrong to deny something that will cause you to loose? Me and my friends go for never ask for undoes since we miss isotroopic and it's hard to remember to change track when playing with strangers but I'm trying to, I promise..

S

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 20, 2018, 03:19:27 pm »

I mean, I've been reading a lot about what is seen as courtesy about undoes on the forum and it surprises me a little that two people can say "you did wrong" without even explaining why on issues like these. Why have undoes as a choice if it's so clearly wrong to deny something that will cause you to loose?

Because sometimes people are working on a small screen, or have a jumpy internet connection, or for any number of reasons they obviously misclick. You did wrong because you knew it was a misclick and that your opponent had played better than you, so you did something that you knew was unsportsmanlike because you wanted to win regardless.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2018, 03:24:00 pm »
+8

It's not like it's morally wrong to deny no-info undos or anything, I'm just going to blacklist you if you do.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 20, 2018, 07:40:03 pm »
+1

Legionary.

This was a real issue. I try my best to play nice, but I also like to win. Legionary creates a real issue since this misclic is so obvious and so severe for the opponent if they grant it. First time it happened to me and I let it pass just because I didn't want my opponent to come in the position to choose between sportsmanship and will to win- it was my mistake, fair enough. Later on though he did the same one, and this was at a much more critical stage, if the attack would have hit me I would most probably lose. I denied, I don't want to lose. My opponent went mad.

Did I wrong? I mean, from isotropic I learnt that misclics is part of Dominion Online in one way or another. Don't play careless. Most mistakes don't effect the opponent directly and is easy to grant, but this one, man.. I really wish it wasn't there, in what situation do you not want to reveal the gold? 

Dear opponent, I'm sorry. I hope I don't have to do it again, but honestly I think I would've..
Yes, you did do wrong.

I think it's totally fair. You didn't ask for it yourself, so it's logical you don't want to grant it to the other person. The difficult thing is your opponent probably didn't realize it allready happened once t you, so maybe you just should have said it that way in the hope they would understand and get less mad.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2018, 03:36:49 am »
+1

Legionary.

This was a real issue. I try my best to play nice, but I also like to win. Legionary creates a real issue since this misclic is so obvious and so severe for the opponent if they grant it. First time it happened to me and I let it pass just because I didn't want my opponent to come in the position to choose between sportsmanship and will to win- it was my mistake, fair enough. Later on though he did the same one, and this was at a much more critical stage, if the attack would have hit me I would most probably lose. I denied, I don't want to lose. My opponent went mad.

Did I wrong? I mean, from isotropic I learnt that misclics is part of Dominion Online in one way or another. Don't play careless. Most mistakes don't effect the opponent directly and is easy to grant, but this one, man.. I really wish it wasn't there, in what situation do you not want to reveal the gold? 

Dear opponent, I'm sorry. I hope I don't have to do it again, but honestly I think I would've..
Yes, you did do wrong.

I think it's totally fair. You didn't ask for it yourself, so it's logical you don't want to grant it to the other person.
No, that has nothing to do with logic, only with imposing your own views about what is correct behaviour on others.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2018, 04:06:36 am »
+8

Why have undoes as a choice if it's so clearly wrong to deny something that will cause you to loose?
The undo feature is there because of all the people that want it, including Jay and Stef.

No-new-information undos should be automatically granted (except conceivably in the controversial case of, you know your top card due to e.g. Courtyard but then forget it and play something that draws it or whatever). They aren't because that would be more work, and Stef has been working on other things.

As long as the software does not automatically grant no-new-information undos, it's up to you whether or not you want to grant them. I recommend always granting opponent undos (except silly extremes like undoing to the start of the game) and never asking for your own. Builds character. When testing online Nocturne, I did use undos though. The bot never complained, and I've got plenty of character.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #107 on: April 21, 2018, 01:54:27 pm »
+16

Is this good "good luck" etiquette?

Opponent when the game starts: "good luck!"
*I open 5/2 on a Count/Alms board*
Opponent: "#$@#$% $#% SO F$#%^&G LUCKY! @#$$#"
Me: "hey, you said 'good luck!'"
Opponent: "that's not what i meant"
*opponent yells more profanities, resigns*
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:58:09 pm by Dingan »

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2018, 12:37:26 pm »
+2

It's optimal for all of your opponents to be very lucky, because then when you win you can credit your skill, and when you lose you can chalk it up to bad luck.

FirstTimePlayer

• Swindler
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2018, 08:26:47 pm »

Hey everyone, my name on there is Mediocre. Just wanted to point out that Parmenas is particularly rude and I have heard this from other players as well. He complains relentlessly, always loses due to bad luck and always rubs it in when he wins.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.