Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Etiquette in Dominion Online  (Read 33918 times)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Etiquette in Dominion Online
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2017, 12:06:37 am »
+1

"gg" : handshake after a ballgame :: "Great Game. Thanks!" : verbal congratulations and victor acknowledgment after a ballgame
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 28, 2017, 12:41:40 am »

Okay so now there's this thing where the end of the game is announced, and then you click a thing and it shows you the final score and so on. Do you say gg before or after clicking the thing?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 28, 2017, 12:43:06 am »

You should not say gg until the game is over. You can say gg and resign, ending the game, but saying gg while you are either winning or it isn't clear who will win is poor etiquette.

Resigning is also fine if you have no chance of winning. I think playing it out if you have a slim chance is the way to go but if it is extremely improbable, I don't mind a resignation.

As for ending the game quickly, not everyone knows how close a margin they can get away with and still guarantee victory, and not everyone knows when they have clearly lost, and sometimes the margin needed is quite large. In an engine with explosive potential for points, for example with goons, groundskeeper, or kings court/monument, with loads of vp per turn, a large margin is necessary to safely approach the endgame. New players also may not spot that they are down too far to have any possibility of winning, and keep playing even though they will lose when the game ends no matter what. Further, if you aren't confident of your deck tracking and you don't know if your alt-vp will quite be enough buying just the last silk road, it is fine to play a slightly longer turn to ensure you get the points you need.

One thing I would add is to not play attacks that aren't necessary. Don't make them discard to militia unless you need the coins, don't play a witch when they could have a moat unless you need the cards, or the curse vp will make a difference. You playing 3 actions doesn't take much time, but forcing them to make a decision takes a lot longer.

I say gg during a game if it is exciting and/or interesting.

Your opponents probably interpret that as you being passive-aggressive about being in a losing position.

Maybe, but given the context, I kind of doubt it. Most times when I say it it isn't clear who is ahead.

If a game is interesting/exciting, then it is maybe worth your time to spell out what you mean and say "this is a good game" or something to that effect. Why risk ruining a player's mood by giving them a chance to misinterpret a "gg".

I like to think I've never played someone emotionally fragile enough to have their mood ruined by me being perceived as passive aggressive.

Well, it would put me on edge if you said that to me in the middle of a game, and I would make an effort not to chat with you for the rest of the game in case you decide to explode due to my "luck" or whatever

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 28, 2017, 01:00:28 am »
+2

Okay so now there's this thing where the end of the game is announced, and then you click a thing and it shows you the final score and so on. Do you say gg before or after clicking the thing?

I like to say it before, mostly because the current message ".... has left the table" is misleading. Unless you say something before clicking it makes it look like you just left without saying anything.

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #79 on: December 30, 2017, 02:36:33 am »

Has anyone else noticed people resigning at the very beginning of a game? I've noticed lately that like 5% of games people will just leave after like 5 seconds. Is it because there are cards they don't recognize/like? Is it because they are already unlucky (e.g. opening 5/2 on a board where 4/3 is much better)? Or what? Just wondering if anyone else has seen this I guess ..

Or maybe people just don't like playing with me  :-\

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #80 on: December 30, 2017, 07:22:59 am »

Has anyone else noticed people resigning at the very beginning of a game? I've noticed lately that like 5% of games people will just leave after like 5 seconds. Is it because there are cards they don't recognize/like? Is it because they are already unlucky (e.g. opening 5/2 on a board where 4/3 is much better)? Or what? Just wondering if anyone else has seen this I guess ..

I once had an opponent resign several games in a row on turn 1 after they lost one game and kept getting automatched against me.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 30, 2017, 10:51:19 pm »
+1

I once had an opponent resign several games in a row on turn 1 after they lost one game and kept getting automatched against me.

Yeah, I'll have stuff like this happen to me occasionally; I guess I just assume that my opponent doesn't want to play against me.

I did have an opponent once who looked at the board, saw scrying pool on it, said "to boring", and resigned. (I know it was because of scrying pool because he told me so during a series of comments in our next game, where he voiced his disapproval of my choice to play an engine)

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 05:52:02 pm »

Is it bad etiquette to do something that requires meaningless opponent input after you've effectively ended the game? So e.g. you buy the last Province, then play a Raider (barring edge cases like opponent getting points from Tunnel-Gold-Museum). I can certainly see how this would be annoying to the opponent, but I guess I have a habit of just mindlessly clicking through whatever SHiT prompts me for at the end of the game that is meaningless -- exchanging Travelers, paying debt, etc. And vice versa - I mindlessly click stuff when I see my opponent has ended the game and I'm prompted to do stuff (like discard). I guess I just don't think about it that much / don't care, but I have noticed it seems to piss people off every once in a while. Curious what the consensus is.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2018, 06:52:46 pm »
+1

I would be annoyed, but not enough to complain.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #84 on: January 12, 2018, 01:27:20 am »
+1

Is it bad etiquette to do something that requires meaningless opponent input after you've effectively ended the game? So e.g. you buy the last Province, then play a Raider (barring edge cases like opponent getting points from Tunnel-Gold-Museum). I can certainly see how this would be annoying to the opponent, but I guess I have a habit of just mindlessly clicking through whatever SHiT prompts me for at the end of the game that is meaningless -- exchanging Travelers, paying debt, etc. And vice versa - I mindlessly click stuff when I see my opponent has ended the game and I'm prompted to do stuff (like discard). I guess I just don't think about it that much / don't care, but I have noticed it seems to piss people off every once in a while. Curious what the consensus is.

Well, it's poor etiquette, but it's also their own fault for not resigning at the point where you already bought the last Province.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2018, 03:25:51 am »
+2

Mindlessly clicking through Travellers is actually dangerous if the game ended in a Traveller pileout.

On topic, I don't think it matters much when your opponent can always resign. I try to not make my opponent do more than necessary when I already know I can end the game, but they don't know. For example, with a Legionary in hand and enough buying power to end it, don't reveal the Gold.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 03:27:29 am by faust »
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:24 am »
+1

Mindlessly clicking through Travellers is actually dangerous if the game ended in a Traveller pileout.

Does this mean that you can undo a three-pile ending if one of those piles is Page or Peasant and you played that card during your turn? I never knew that.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #87 on: January 12, 2018, 06:16:04 am »
+1

Does this mean that you can undo a three-pile ending if one of those piles is Page or Peasant and you played that card during your turn? I never knew that.

Yes. It doesn't matter if three piles were empty at some earlier point during your turn, it's only checked at the end.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 12, 2018, 12:02:06 pm »
+2

On topic, I don't think it matters much when your opponent can always resign. I try to not make my opponent do more than necessary when I already know I can end the game, but they don't know. For example, with a Legionary in hand and enough buying power to end it, don't reveal the Gold.

Thinking about such things might take more time than just revealing the Gold.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2018, 12:20:27 pm »
+1

Ambassador is the classic way to have an empty pile become non-empty.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2018, 01:38:18 pm »
+1

Ambassador is the classic way to have an empty pile become non-empty.

Encampment might be the most common way this happens these days.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2018, 01:49:59 pm »
+1

There's a real balance between playing your turn as normal and playing not to run up the score or needlessly prolong the game. I'm sure there are cases where people have tried to be overly-considerate and subsequently make a game-deciding mistake.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 17, 2018, 09:07:57 am »

Legionary.

This was a real issue. I try my best to play nice, but I also like to win. Legionary creates a real issue since this misclic is so obvious and so severe for the opponent if they grant it. First time it happened to me and I let it pass just because I didn't want my opponent to come in the position to choose between sportsmanship and will to win- it was my mistake, fair enough. Later on though he did the same one, and this was at a much more critical stage, if the attack would have hit me I would most probably lose. I denied, I don't want to lose. My opponent went mad.

Did I wrong? I mean, from isotropic I learnt that misclics is part of Dominion Online in one way or another. Don't play careless. Most mistakes don't effect the opponent directly and is easy to grant, but this one, man.. I really wish it wasn't there, in what situation do you not want to reveal the gold? 

Dear opponent, I'm sorry. I hope I don't have to do it again, but honestly I think I would've..
S

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2018, 09:13:10 am »
+2

When up against someone I know would not forgive a misclick, I take a good look at the area my cursor is in everytime before my finger even touches the left button. Of course this takes longer. Want to play more games in the same time? Undo my misclicks and foolish mistakes.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2018, 04:28:24 pm »
+4

Legionary.

This was a real issue. I try my best to play nice, but I also like to win. Legionary creates a real issue since this misclic is so obvious and so severe for the opponent if they grant it. First time it happened to me and I let it pass just because I didn't want my opponent to come in the position to choose between sportsmanship and will to win- it was my mistake, fair enough. Later on though he did the same one, and this was at a much more critical stage, if the attack would have hit me I would most probably lose. I denied, I don't want to lose. My opponent went mad.

Did I wrong? I mean, from isotropic I learnt that misclics is part of Dominion Online in one way or another. Don't play careless. Most mistakes don't effect the opponent directly and is easy to grant, but this one, man.. I really wish it wasn't there, in what situation do you not want to reveal the gold? 

Dear opponent, I'm sorry. I hope I don't have to do it again, but honestly I think I would've..
Yes, you did do wrong.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2018, 06:42:54 pm »

Hey, I have a somewhat related question.  I had a game the other day, and my opponent seemed pretty upset that I was getting "lucky" (my chariot race got me lots of points.  I trashed all my coppers and estates and he had lots of spoils, so it didn't seem too lucky to me) at the end of the game he/she said "gg, nl"  what is nl?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2018, 08:23:06 pm »
+3

Hey, I have a somewhat related question.  I had a game the other day, and my opponent seemed pretty upset that I was getting "lucky" (my chariot race got me lots of points.  I trashed all my coppers and estates and he had lots of spoils, so it didn't seem too lucky to me) at the end of the game he/she said "gg, nl"  what is nl?
Let me UrbanDictionary that for you. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=NL

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2018, 08:57:03 pm »
+3

Let me UrbanDictionary that for you. https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=NL

I think he probably meant "nice luck"
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

William Howard Taft

• Bishop
  • Respect: +144
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2018, 02:24:15 pm »

Yeah you did wrong and you're obviously not sorry.

Simon Jester

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: hockeyzemlan
  • changed life, changed everything
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 20, 2018, 02:36:03 pm »

Yeah you did wrong and you're obviously not sorry.

Murgh. You're wrong. I'm sorry that the misclick-possibility is there to begin with, since I think it shouldn't be. But alright, then I press the undo button myself the first time and ignore the feeling that I'm a prick doing so. If you read my post you should notice that I'm uncertain what decision that is seen as the unsportful one. My judgement was that the sportful move is to not asking to undo a legionary-misclick. fd that's wrong I change and will ask about it in the future.
It feels weird though.
S
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 21 queries.