Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: Etiquette in Dominion Online  (Read 33914 times)

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Etiquette in Dominion Online
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 04:42:14 pm »

Part of playing dominion is losing (Yes, that includes watching other players have good turns).

No, it includes admitting defeat by resigning.

In any kind of contest you should be a gracious loser.  Finish what you started.  You shouldn't just quit whenever you feel like it.

Resigning isn't quitting. The moment I resign, the game is finished, and I'm the loser.

Unless you're playing solitaire.

No, I don't like playing solitaire and that's why I prefer for my opponent to resign as soon as they have no chance of winning so that we can start a new game instead of having me play solitaire for a while, and I return the favor when I have no chance of winning.
This is pretty much why I don't play online. There's no way you would enjoy playing a game against me.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2017, 05:01:26 pm »

The sports analogy you used also isn’t great, because sports is usually entertainment and the teams agreed to provide gameplay for a fixed amount of time to the ticket holders. Additionally, most major sports leagues do not allow for true resignation.

Actually, there are relevant analogs in combat sports. Many MMA fights, for example, end in submission or TKO. The former is directly analogous to resigning in Dominion. The latter doesn't happen, because we don't have third-party referees to stop the game, but there are times where it arguably should happen. I have been in games where it was technically impossible (based on available points) for the losing player to come back and win.

WeedGoku69

• Pawn
  • Shuffle iT Username: WeedGoku69
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2017, 05:23:25 pm »
+14

WeedGoku69 here and I figured I'd drop by to give a few pointers on etiquette.

At the beginning of the game greet your opponent by saying:
"Hi, I am WeedGoku"

Pause for around 2 seconds, then type:
"69"

If your opponent types anything else into chat, kindly remind them that:
"I am WeedGoku69"

While playing, try to maximize your APM (action cards per minute).

If you spot a money game, resign immediately.

It's always nice to close out the game with class. If you thought your opponent played well, compliment them with a "gg" and an estimate of their power level.

That just about covers it! If you follow these tips, you should have an enjoyable experience on Dominion Online!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:26:33 pm by WeedGoku69 »

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2017, 07:31:01 pm »
+5

I also like to finish my turn, but I also think resigning in the middle of someone else's turn is fine, especially because you can continue against bot. (if it's your last turn or last couple of turn's and you're winning anyway, it doesn't matter how stupid the bot is, as long as you have fun playing your deck the way you wanted to)

For al these "do's and don'ts" you're talking about here, there's no right answer: some people prefer you resign when you're losing, some people not. Some people like chat, some people not. You can't know until you asked, and if it's to difficult to ask, it's simple: do what you like the best, then at least one of you two is happy, and there's a 50/50 percent chance the other one is also happy. (and try to remember: there's no other reason to play this game then to have fun)

Cinephile

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2017, 01:00:18 pm »
+2

How often do people say 'gg' to (primarily) literally mean that it was a good game? To me, it's equivalent to shaking hands after a face-to-face game.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2017, 01:14:12 pm »
+2

Sometimes when I think it was an actually bad game (either poorly played, or an unfun slog, or really bad shuffle luck), I close with “thanks for the game” instead of “gg”.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 01:30:19 pm »
+1

New version, with many of the changes/additions suggested in this thread. As I have been from the start, I'm still unsure how best to address the post-game 'gg'.

Feedback is appreciated. Let me know if I cut out something that you thought was good, added something awful or neglected a change you thought was important.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2017, 01:46:50 pm »
+7

As I have been from the start, I'm still unsure how best to address the post-game 'gg'.
It depends on whether you think this guide should, ahem, describe online etiquette as it exists, or prescribe how it ought to be ;)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2017, 01:47:49 pm »
+3

As I have been from the start, I'm still unsure how best to address the post-game 'gg'.
It depends on whether you think this guide should, ahem, describe online etiquette as it exists, or prescribe how it ought to be ;)

Triggered.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2017, 02:38:36 pm »
+1

How often do people say 'gg' to (primarily) literally mean that it was a good game? To me, it's equivalent to shaking hands after a face-to-face game.

It's the equivalent of saying "good" when someone asks you how your day is going. It's the automatic polite thing to do regardless of whether it's true or not.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2017, 02:55:01 pm »

It's the equivalent of saying "good" when someone asks you how your day is going. It's the automatic polite thing to do regardless of whether it's true or not.

Yeah, as the winner. As the loser, it's the equivalent of saying "how is your day going?".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2017, 03:17:24 pm »
+5

As an aside, I think in chess proper etiquette is that you should resign in a clearly losing position (at least at the higher levels). This to me seems like a better comparison than sports or something.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2017, 03:20:36 pm »

So maybe this should be "Higher level etiquette in Dominion online."

Resign never comes to mind, for me.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2017, 12:54:59 pm »
+2

As an aside, I think in chess proper etiquette is that you should resign in a clearly losing position (at least at the higher levels). This to me seems like a better comparison than sports or something.

I agree on this point (and your judgment of chess etiquette matches my experience).

On the other hand, a chess game tends to decrease in complexity as the game goes on, while a Dominion game often increases in complexity. Based on a miscount of the buys, or an overlook on piles, or missing the possibility of a dud hand, what's obviously a dead won game to one player might not be such to the other. So there are very few Dominion games played at a relatively advanced level where I'd consider not resigning be bad etiquette.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2017, 07:15:20 pm »
+11

Whenever I loose, I accuse people of hacking, just like I do whenever I play people online.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Reykjavik

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2017, 03:42:49 pm »
+3

You should not say gg until the game is over. You can say gg and resign, ending the game, but saying gg while you are either winning or it isn't clear who will win is poor etiquette.

Resigning is also fine if you have no chance of winning. I think playing it out if you have a slim chance is the way to go but if it is extremely improbable, I don't mind a resignation.

As for ending the game quickly, not everyone knows how close a margin they can get away with and still guarantee victory, and not everyone knows when they have clearly lost, and sometimes the margin needed is quite large. In an engine with explosive potential for points, for example with goons, groundskeeper, or kings court/monument, with loads of vp per turn, a large margin is necessary to safely approach the endgame. New players also may not spot that they are down too far to have any possibility of winning, and keep playing even though they will lose when the game ends no matter what. Further, if you aren't confident of your deck tracking and you don't know if your alt-vp will quite be enough buying just the last silk road, it is fine to play a slightly longer turn to ensure you get the points you need.

One thing I would add is to not play attacks that aren't necessary. Don't make them discard to militia unless you need the coins, don't play a witch when they could have a moat unless you need the cards, or the curse vp will make a difference. You playing 3 actions doesn't take much time, but forcing them to make a decision takes a lot longer.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2017, 11:10:47 pm »

You should not say gg until the game is over. You can say gg and resign, ending the game, but saying gg while you are either winning or it isn't clear who will win is poor etiquette.

Resigning is also fine if you have no chance of winning. I think playing it out if you have a slim chance is the way to go but if it is extremely improbable, I don't mind a resignation.

As for ending the game quickly, not everyone knows how close a margin they can get away with and still guarantee victory, and not everyone knows when they have clearly lost, and sometimes the margin needed is quite large. In an engine with explosive potential for points, for example with goons, groundskeeper, or kings court/monument, with loads of vp per turn, a large margin is necessary to safely approach the endgame. New players also may not spot that they are down too far to have any possibility of winning, and keep playing even though they will lose when the game ends no matter what. Further, if you aren't confident of your deck tracking and you don't know if your alt-vp will quite be enough buying just the last silk road, it is fine to play a slightly longer turn to ensure you get the points you need.

One thing I would add is to not play attacks that aren't necessary. Don't make them discard to militia unless you need the coins, don't play a witch when they could have a moat unless you need the cards, or the curse vp will make a difference. You playing 3 actions doesn't take much time, but forcing them to make a decision takes a lot longer.

I say gg during a game if it is exciting and/or interesting.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2017, 11:37:40 pm »
+1

Some people will say "gg" early when assuming their opponent is able to end the game or is otherwise super far ahead. Said opponent might not see things that way from their perspective and get confused by the "gg". I happens often on streams where two players are able to discuss this mismatch in perceptions afterwards, but against random opponents this is much less likely to happen.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #68 on: December 26, 2017, 02:47:17 am »
+1

Your opponents probably interpret that as you being passive-aggressive about being in a losing position.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2017, 10:24:58 am »

Your opponents probably interpret that as you being passive-aggressive about being in a losing position.

Maybe, but given the context, I kind of doubt it. Most times when I say it it isn't clear who is ahead.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2017, 10:32:08 am »
+2

Maybe, but given the context, I kind of doubt it. Most times when I say it it isn't clear who is ahead.

If a game is interesting/exciting, then it is maybe worth your time to spell out what you mean and say "this is a good game" or something to that effect. Why risk ruining a player's mood by giving them a chance to misinterpret a "gg".

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2017, 11:38:20 am »

If a game is interesting/exciting, then it is maybe worth your time to spell out what you mean and say "this is a good game" or something to that effect. Why risk ruining a player's mood by giving them a chance to misinterpret a "gg".

That's way too much work.  My poor fingers might fall off if I type all of those letters.

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2017, 12:25:05 pm »
+14

i really like it when people say 'gg' before the game ends, because of that i sometimes notice a 3-pile which i otherwise wouldn't have seen :p

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2017, 10:18:41 am »
+3

I like to think I've never played someone emotionally fragile enough to have their mood ruined by me being perceived as passive aggressive.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2017, 11:50:25 pm »
+5

gg

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.