Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: Etiquette in Dominion Online  (Read 33916 times)

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1705
    • View Profile
Re: Etiquette in Dominion Online
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2017, 07:22:41 pm »
+9

Here's my guiding principle (stolen, in a fashion, from Wikipedia):

Do: Assume good faith. You've come to play a game of Dominion, and you're hoping to have a good time. In the absence of other evidence, assume that your opponent is in the same position. Of course, if they start acting otherwise, it's up to you to decide how much slack to cut them.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2017, 11:55:48 pm »
+4

I typically say gg whether I win or lose.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 12:51:27 am »
+4

Years ago, in a game of Carcassonne on Xbox Live, I played a castle tile with a follower on it near my human opponent’s unfinished castle.
You mean "city", not "castle". I know a lot of people say "castle", but since the introduction of the Bridges, Castles and Bazaars expansion, it's been pretty confusing.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 06:44:19 pm »
+1

I typically say gg whether I win or lose.

Same. I started saying it because I thought that it was always the polite thing to do, as in "show you're not a sore loser by saying gg", or say gg when you win just to show your opponent that you're trying to be a good sport about it and not rub it in that you won 85 to 30 or something like that. I mean, which is better: saying "hahaha you suck! Look at me I won by 55 points!" or just saying "Good game!"?

As an aside, in principle I do agree with that running up the score as high as you can just to run up the score as high as you can is a jerkish thing to do, but I do have two exceptions to that rule:
1. Games with Kingdoms that warrant the building of a well-oiled Goons Engine, these games can also (but don't have to) involve Dominate. I mean, in these types of scenarios, when one player gets going, it's almost impossible for that player not to run up the score, as far as I know.
2. Games with my Brother  (he generally runs up the score on me when he can, especially if we're playing online, so it's only fair for me to do it back to him when I can, although these days one of us usually just resigns when it's clear that the other one has pulled together a game-winning engine :P)
Note: Exception 2 usually happens in Goons games, with Dominate (but not always with Dominate)

EDITS: Additional wording and phrasing added in for additional clarification
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 06:53:39 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 07:22:18 pm »
+10

and I would always allow a ‘ffs’

I disagree with this. People generally have different viewpoints on profanity. Somebody who says "FFS" even as an acronym would annoy me. If you're trying to be polite, I would suggest avoiding profanity as much as possible (unless you know they're OK with it).
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 02:08:01 am »
+3

I mean, which is better: saying "hahaha you suck! Look at me I won by 55 points!" or just saying "Good game!"?
It's also better to hit someone with a club than to shoot them with a gun.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 02:24:06 am »

I know people that get mad when you tell them they did well when they think otherwise, not because they think you are being impolite, but because the disconnect puts them in a tough spot: either they accept the compliment even though they disagree with it, or they don't and need to explain why they aren't; in both cases, it puts extra emotional stress on themselves when they are already dealing with the dissatisfaction with their performance.

This is not about Dominion, but other competitive scenes, though I think it still applies, and it's something to keep in mind when saying "gg" I guess.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 07:10:58 am »
+5

Resigning during an opponent's turn is fine. They can continue with bots if they really want to click through their turn.

I generally think it’s best to ask if it’s the middle of their turn, especially if it’s the last turn. People enjoy playing their engine out. That’s really why they’re all here. Suddenly interrupting that without warning, especially when it only saves you maybe 30 seconds when the game will finish, is a Dick Move.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2017, 07:30:56 am »

Resigning during an opponent's turn is fine. They can continue with bots if they really want to click through their turn.

I generally think it’s best to ask if it’s the middle of their turn, especially if it’s the last turn. People enjoy playing their engine out. That’s really why they’re all here. Suddenly interrupting that without warning, especially when it only saves you maybe 30 seconds when the game will finish, is a Dick Move.

30 seconds? Man, I do it when it saves me 2.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Rabid

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Rabid
  • Respect: +643
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2017, 07:51:01 am »
+2

I consider asking in this spot to be poor etiquette.
You are giving them two options.
Say yes, in which case you may as well have just resigned.
Or say no, making them feel rude for denying your request.
Twitch
1 Day Cup #1:Ednever

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2017, 08:27:28 am »
+2

Do: acknowledge your opponent at the end of the game. A common convention is for the losing player to say ‘gg’ (good game) first, and the winner to respond in kind. The winner saying ‘gg’ first is seen in some circles as taunting or poor sportsmanship, especially if it’s prior to the end of the game. If you win and your opponent says nothing, a simple ‘thanks for the game’ is fine.

Don’t: say ‘gg’ before the end of the game unless you are going to resign. In this context, ‘gg’ is usually interpreted as, “You’ve got this. I concede.” If you don’t follow this with a resignation, it may come across as a meta-gaming tactic2.

Are there any non-ambiguous abbreviations if you want to be polite at the end of the game? I used 'gg' before even when winning, as it is quick to type and I do not want to annoy my opponent by writing a long response instead of finishing the turn. 'Good game' strikes me as a fairly neutral summary of 'This was a fun game, you played well and fair. Thanks for your time, I enjoyed playing with you. Good luck for further matches'.  I know that some people use the term sacastically, but shouldn't the default expectation be that it is meant what has been said if there is no other indication?

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2017, 09:31:59 am »
+3

And of course, people universally hold your behavior in the highest of regard.

bug me on discord

they/them

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2017, 10:28:40 am »
+1

And of course, people universally hold your behavior in the highest of regard.

Oh wow, I read that as "2 minutes" up until now.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2017, 10:39:37 am »
+2

I consider asking in this spot to be poor etiquette.
You are giving them two options.
Say yes, in which case you may as well have just resigned.
Or say no, making them feel rude for denying your request.

I think if you are here to play dominion, you should finish the game, whether you win or lose.  You don't see people quitting in the middle of basketball games or in the middle of a soccer match, even if they are losing badly.  We're not here just to win as many games as we can in the fastest time (at least most of us aren't) we're here to play dominion.  When I'm winning, I like to finish the game.  Finishing against a bot is lame.  They just wreck the other person's deck and buy silvers for days.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2017, 10:56:31 am »
+4

We're not here just to win as many games as we can in the fastest time (at least most of us aren't) we're here to play dominion.

Yeah exactly, we're here to play Dominion, not watch our opponent clicking pointlessly when the game is already over.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1728
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2017, 01:57:44 pm »
+2

Regarding speed of players .. I totally don't mind players being slow, and it's never a blockable offense, unless they're slow-playing (not just slow but when it's intentional .. that's an entire different can of worms). In fact, more often than not I think players should play slower and think more. That being said .. What is the best way to kindly ask a player to play faster? And are there certain scenarios where it is and is not warranted? I've had a simple "hey would you mind playing a bit faster?" get all sorts of reactions --
"ok"
"i'm reading what the cards do"
"whoops i thought i was waiting for you"
"ya sorry my boss walked in"
"@#$%* @#$@$!!!"
etc.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 01:58:57 pm by Dingan »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2017, 02:00:15 pm »
+1

You could always ask "connection issues?" and hope they take the hint. And then if it turns out to be actual connection issues, that works out fine too.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 02:48:41 pm »
+3

We're not here just to win as many games as we can in the fastest time (at least most of us aren't) we're here to play dominion.

Yeah exactly, we're here to play Dominion, not watch our opponent clicking pointlessly when the game is already over.

Part of playing dominion is losing (Yes, that includes watching other players have good turns). In any kind of contest you should be a gracious loser.  Finish what you started.  You shouldn't just quit whenever you feel like it.  Unless you're playing solitaire.  Then go for it.  In fact, if you don't like watching other players do well, you should probably stick with solitaire in the first place.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 03:14:05 pm »
+3

Personally, I wish my opponents would resign some games I'm winning. It's just as boring for me as them.

Also, I sometimes get players complain for me not greening sooner and overbuilding. My long turns piss some players. ???

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 03:34:32 pm »
+4

Part of playing dominion is losing (Yes, that includes watching other players have good turns).

No, it includes admitting defeat by resigning.

In any kind of contest you should be a gracious loser.  Finish what you started.  You shouldn't just quit whenever you feel like it.

Resigning isn't quitting. The moment I resign, the game is finished, and I'm the loser.

Unless you're playing solitaire.

No, I don't like playing solitaire and that's why I prefer for my opponent to resign as soon as they have no chance of winning so that we can start a new game instead of having me play solitaire for a while, and I return the favor when I have no chance of winning.

Chappy7

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2017, 03:39:25 pm »

Do you just quit when you play in real life?

Whatever, yall can do what you want.  Whenever my opponents resign it feels rude to me.  The exception is when I get a message like "I think you have this one.  Another game?" or at least "wp gg"

When someone just resigns it feels like a rage quit, even though I know it often isn't.  Just doesn't feel very sportsmanlike. 

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1435
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2017, 03:54:01 pm »
+8

Yes, I've resigned 2-player Dominion games in real life.

Resigning when you believe you cannot win is common practice in many competitive 2-player games: Chess, Go, Magic: The Gathering, Hearthstone.

Also, this topic has been discussed at length in the past.

Chris is me

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2017, 03:58:44 pm »
+2

The sports analogy you used also isn’t great, because sports is usually entertainment and the teams agreed to provide gameplay for a fixed amount of time to the ticket holders. Additionally, most major sports leagues do not allow for true resignation.

bug me on discord

they/them

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2017, 04:09:38 pm »

Personally, I wish my opponents would resign some games I'm winning. It's just as boring for me as them.

Also, I sometimes get players complain for me not greening sooner and overbuilding. My long turns piss some players. ???

I find these factors to be related. Some players complain about long turns because they aren't used to seeing big engines. When you build a big engine they don't see that it's going to let you win by greening in a small number of turns, and they don't resign because the VP counter indicates that they are ahead on points (though they are not going to win).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 04:32:02 pm »
+1

Do you just quit when you play in real life?

Yeah, if I know I'm going to lose.

The exception is when I get a message like "I think you have this one.  Another game?" or at least "wp gg"

The resignation itself already contains that message. It's the opponent acknowledging that you've won.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.631 seconds with 21 queries.