Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Prince + Necromancer  (Read 2040 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1855
    • View Profile
Prince + Necromancer
« on: October 30, 2017, 11:51:19 pm »

If Prince is in the trash, Necromancer-as-Prince can't be set aside, so in particular, can't set a card from your hand aside, right? This is consistent with the online implementation, but I'm not sure what the underlying principle is. (It's something like: Necromancer's specific instruction to leave Prince in the trash outweighs Prince's instruction to set Prince aside.)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Prince + Necromancer
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 12:18:06 am »
+3

No, Necromancer plays Prince without putting it in play, and that's the end of the "leaving it there" part.

However, when Prince tries to set itself aside, it's expecting to find itself in play, but it's not there (since it's still in the trash), so it fails to do so. Prince has effectively lost track of itself.

Note that you are not playing Necromancer as Prince, you are playing the actual Prince, otherwise Necromancer would be able to set itself aside.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 08:56:59 am »
+1

Necromancer =/= Band of Misfits.  Necromancer does not become a card, it just plays a card.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:38:30 pm »

Thanks guys. Same question for if Necromancer plays Encampment in the trash (and Gold/Plunder is not revealed). Does the Encampment in the trash try to set itself aside and fail?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 01:39:53 pm »
+2

Thanks guys. Same question for if Necromancer plays Encampment in the trash (and Gold/Plunder is not revealed). Does the Encampment in the trash try to set itself aside and fail?

This is actually addressed in the official FAQ. :)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ehunt

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 01:52:46 pm »

This is actually addressed in the official FAQ. :)

mea culpa, i am lazy and haven't bought the irl expansion yet. Still confused about the official rule that's happening. Is it Lose Track, or something else? A card can't lose track of itself, right? I guess it's the same as my original question for Prince, even though I understand the behavior.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 02:18:26 pm »
+1

A card can definitely lose track of itself! You just need some other effect to move the card around before it finishes resolving itself.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:19:30 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.