Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Interesting Goons Board. What would you do?  (Read 1436 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
Interesting Goons Board. What would you do?
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:57:25 pm »

I just played this game, and thought the board was really interesting, but ended up going in random directions due to confusing play by my opponent.  I wanted to see what others thought.

This is the board:
Apprentice, Fishing Village, Ghost Ship, Goons, Ill-Gotten Gains, Jack of All Trades, Lookout, Remodel, Treasure Map, and Wishing Well

My thoughts when the game started were this:  Start with 1 Jack and buy Fishing Villages on 3 or 4.  Get a Goons or two while Massing Apprentices that can feed on free silvers from Jack.  Then use extra Goons buys to build up to super Goons turns. 

Ultimately I got to my target, but the path was very different than expected.  This is how things played out:
My opponent opens Treasure Map, which makes me feel good about my chances, but I was already a little bit unsure of my Goons plan, so seeing such a weak opening makes me decide to go for something more boring.  I decided to start driving into the IGGs to make his Treasure Map decision an even worse one.  On turn 6, he grabs an IGG too, and I decide a second Jack is a good idea to clean up Curses and make my strategy even more boring.  On Turn 7... he hits his Maps.  At that point, I decided my money strategy is probably back to being an underdog, and head back towards the Goons plan knowing that the IGGs I picked up will be excellent Apprentice fodder.  From there on, I pretty much followed the plan outlined at the top here, and it ended up working out really well.  I was worried again when my opponent bought 3 more Maps on turns 7, 9, and 10 and hit them on turn 12, but I was able to get multiple Goons in play a few times and managed to play 5 and buy out the last 3 Provinces to finish with a decisive victory.

Ultimately, I guess I am interested in everyone's thoughts, and curious if Apprentice/Fishing Village/Goons is the right play here, or if it would be too disrupted and slow if it were up against something like Jack/IGG. 
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:00:01 pm by Deadlock39 »

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Goons Board. What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:45:32 pm »

You did well enough (obviously) to the pretty terrible TM/Silver, but I would have ignored money throughout once he bought his first Treasure Map: Goons will beat both decent and bad TM luck, but BM-X will lose to the relatively good TM luck he had (if not lose, at least not easily win against).

Jack is a very tricky card in Goons games. It doesn't really "trash" in a helpful way for goons, but the drawing is nice in a Fishing Village/goons engine and the board has only apprentice/ghost ship for a goons game. I might consider fishing village/trasher (remodel, lookout) Or fishing village/fishing village in lieu of an early apprentice. As turn 21 showed, apprentice is obviously the biggest enabler on the board for a goons mega-turn and is the third "critical" card (with goons/fishing village being the first two)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:04:48 pm »

Yeah, I never would have considered Jack on a normal Goons board, but feeding Apprentice Silvers is usually great.  Sometimes you can run out of cards to feed to the Apprentice, so I thought Jack fit well in this one.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 09:57:15 pm »

Oh dear... this turn just makes me feel depressed.

— RTB's turn 7 —
RTB plays a Treasure Map.
... trashing the Treasure Map.
... trashing a Treasure Map from hand.
... gaining 4 Golds on the deck.
RTB plays a Silver and 2 Coppers.
RTB buys a Treasure Map.
(RTB draws: a Curse and 4 Golds.)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.