Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: What do you forget IRL?  (Read 10023 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: What do you forget IRL?
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2017, 03:25:27 pm »

I don't think most people can move their fingers independantly.

Really? How do you type on a keyboard if that's the case?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

fisherman

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: fisherman
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2017, 04:54:07 pm »
+5

Really? How do you type on a keyboard if that's the case?

Who needs fingers?

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 01:06:14 am »
+7

gkrieg's wife's birthday
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 01:22:41 am »

To apply the weird new shuffling rule.
What?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 05:37:09 pm »
+2

I forget people's names. I don't really take note when they tell me their name, I think because I'm too concerned about what social niceties demand I do when I meet a new person, so I'm very focused on my own actions and not on what they're saying.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 07:23:36 pm »
+2

I forget people's names. I don't really take note when they tell me their name, I think because I'm too concerned about what social niceties demand I do when I meet a new person, so I'm very focused on my own actions and not on what they're saying.

I just call everyone "Revenge Witch"
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 01:03:13 am »

I was curious, so I just tried. Resting my hand on the desk, it's trivial.

Remaining curious, I found I could comfortably put forefinger in three positions, not just two, and my thumb could go in any of three positions sideways as well as up/down. So that's 144.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 11:44:20 am »
+4

You should get that checked by a doctor.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 04:33:57 pm »
+3

I used to forget Mountain Pass until I started putting the card(-shaped object) on top of the Province pile.

Puk

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: Puk
  • Respect: +106
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2017, 08:31:25 am »

to put the victory point counter on

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2017, 12:21:53 pm »
+1

To leave newly played Duration cards out during Cleanup
OK, there's an easy solution for this. Just play fresh Durations sideways, above your other played cards. At the start of your turn, you resolve each Duration card, turning the ones you're done with right-side-up and moving them down to where you'll play your other cards. Then you just have to remember not to discard sideways cards during Clean-up. It's really foolproof once you get in the habit. I haven't messed up a Duration in years.
Cool. I usually play my fresh duration cards untapped in the normal (portrait) orientation, then tap them turn them sideways at the start of the turn in which I discard them.

This means I have to discard my portrait non-durations and landscape durations. With your way of doing things, you have to discard all portrait cards and no landscape cards. The should-I-discard calculation is a function of one input rather than two, and is thus harder to mess up.

I like it. Maybe I'll try it out.

Turning durations sideways also help me track which ones I've activated. Since you always activate and never discard Hireling, that bad boy might screw me over. (I haven't played with it IRL, or at least not both Hireling and other duration cards.)

If I were smart, I'd do something similar for Travellers, etc.
I tried being smart once, it worked pretty well. I can recommend it. :P

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2017, 12:46:43 pm »

I'm getting better at not forgetting debt, but I'm not all the way there.

If you're only playing a small number of actions each turn—or rather, drawing cards a small number of times—putting your debt tokens on top of your draw pile is sure to remind you during the clean-up phase (when you draw). It's usually pretty easy to recover the right game state by then, which most often is right before your first buy. (Probably the beginning of the buy phase works too since no one got any extra information, edge case Venture.)

If you draw cards many times, shuffling the debt tokens back and forth becomes cumbersome. In your buy phase, putting all of your treasures, virtual money and debt tokens in one spread-out pile lets you easily see how much money you have; making that a habit will likely make you forget your debt less often.

Usually I place my terminals (including Throne trees) on top of my villages for tracking purposes, so rearranging your terminal virtual money is only recommended in games where the number of actions you have doesn't matter once you get to your buy phase. (Anti-synergies: Villa and, less so, Diadem.)

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 07:23:26 am »

OK, there's an easy solution for this. Just play fresh Durations sideways, above your other played cards. At the start of your turn, you resolve each Duration card, turning the ones you're done with right-side-up and moving them down to where you'll play your other cards. Then you just have to remember not to discard sideways cards during Clean-up. It's really foolproof once you get in the habit. I haven't messed up a Duration in years.

I do the same but without turning them sideways. My play area has two 'rows', the top row is for stuff that shouldn't be cleaned up this turn, the bottom row is for stuff that should be. At the start of the turn I move single-turn durations downwards one by one.

Actually, from the rules: "Players keep track of whether or not a Duration card was played on the current turn, such as by keeping cards from the previous turn in a separate line on the table, or by tilting Duration cards when they do something at the start of a turn.", so technically keeping track is mandatory.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2017, 06:03:59 pm »

I'm getting better at not forgetting debt, but I'm not all the way there. [...] putting your debt tokens on top of your draw pile is sure to remind you during the clean-up phase (when you draw).
When you play many actions that draw cards, this gets cumbersome. A good solution occurred to me recently: put your debt tokens on top of a card you have in play which you will discard this turn.

If you do this, you're likely to catch your own mistakes before you draw next turn's cards—which makes mistake recovery more true to how the game would've played out had you not forgotten. (You basically undo some decisions that didn't reveal any new information—edge case revealing Fool's Gold on a prohibited Province buy.)

For this reason I think I'll do that even when I play something money-ish with a low number of times-per-turn-I-draw. I can't recommend doing it yet because I haven't tried it out, but I can recommend trying it.

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2017, 11:46:33 pm »

In a recent game, I forgot to ask other players to resolve Fool's Gold's reaction.  Considering a reminder token for stuff like this that can be easy to forgot, but simple to implement.  Started a thread about that here....
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17769.0
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 12:47:50 am »
+5

Whose turn it is.

If two or more people are shuffling simultaneously and we're chatting, it's easy to lose sight of who just went.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 01:03:43 am »
+1

Whose turn it is.

If two or more people are shuffling simultaneously and we're chatting, it's easy to lose sight of who just went.

I can't tell you how many times me and my opponent have sat there waiting for the other to go, thinking that the other was just thinking.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.