Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Number of Unique Kingdoms Currently Playable?  (Read 2022 times)

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
Number of Unique Kingdoms Currently Playable?
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:13:46 pm »

Does anyone know what the total number of unique kingdoms playable in Dominion is now with the Nocturne expansion? I know that it was extremely high, but that number that I saw was as of when Dark Ages was the most recently released expansion so that number is probably old (I don’t remember the what the number was, though)

EDIT: Should this go into General Discussion, instead of Dominion Articles? I was on a mobile device (iPad) and didn’t realize I’d posted this post in this sub forum until after I’d posted it, so sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 10:27:46 pm by Trogdor the Burninator »
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
Re: Number of Unique Kingdoms Currently Playable?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:48:24 am »
+2

Only counting the variety via Kingdom cards (i.e. ignoring Young Witch, Events, Landmarks and all the new stuff from Nocturne) it is 289 choose 10 or 956 quadrillion (9.56 x 10^17) different Kingdoms.
In my opinion this is just a number games though that doesn't capture the variety of Dominion. The base game already had more than 3 million possible Kingdoms yet a lot of these Kingdoms would feel and play identically.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:11 am »

Only counting the variety via Kingdom cards (i.e. ignoring Young Witch, Events, Landmarks and all the new stuff from Nocturne) it is 289 choose 10 or 956 quadrillion (9.56 x 10^17) different Kingdoms.
In my opinion this is just a number games though that doesn't capture the variety of Dominion. The base game already had more than 3 million possible Kingdoms yet a lot of these Kingdoms would feel and play identically.

Thar's a good point.  It'd be interesting to know how long it'd take to play all those Kingdoms at 30 minutes per game. I tried to do the math, but I think I might've done it wrong (math has never been one of my strong points :P)
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 09:36:36 am »

So one better way to measure "unique" is instead of factoring in all possible cards, just counting the most powerful ones. A kingdom with Tournament and say one or two others engine cards is going to play exactly the same way regardless of the 7-8 other cards available, unless they are also quite strong engine cards. Yes, I know, edge cases, bla bla. Still, as far as "unique" is concerned, looking at only the cards you will buy is important. This still leaves you with a lot of different possibilities. I've played a lot of Dominion, and never really got 2 kingdoms which play the same.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 09:39:48 am »
+1

Thar's a good point.  It'd be interesting to know how long it'd take to play all those Kingdoms at 30 minutes per game. I tried to do the math, but I think I might've done it wrong (math has never been one of my strong points :P)

5.45 x 10^13 years, by my count
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

josh56

• Thief
  • Respect: +60
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 09:46:11 am »
+3

5.45 x 10^13 years, by my count
Immortality sounded kind of boring but then Dominion came along.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 21 queries.