Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Watchtower Soothsayer timing  (Read 980 times)

rolandde

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Watchtower Soothsayer timing
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:55:08 am »
+1

My draw deck is empty (meaning my discard is full).

I have a Watchtower in hand.

My opponent plays Soothsayer. They gain a gold.

I gain a curse.

There are now two ways to resolve the on-gain abilities:
1) Soothsayer ability resolves first and I draw a card. I have to shuffle and the Watchtower loses track of the curse.
2) Watchtower reaction ability resolves first. I trash the curse, shuffle, and then resolve Soothsayer ability and draw a card.

My instinct is that I can I choose the order of resolving the two abilities. If that is not the case, can someone point me to the specific rule that determines the order of execution.

Thanks.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtower Soothsayer timing
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:04:12 am »
+3

My draw deck is empty (meaning my discard is full).

I have a Watchtower in hand.

My opponent plays Soothsayer. They gain a gold.

I gain a curse.

There are now two ways to resolve the on-gain abilities:
1) Soothsayer ability resolves first and I draw a card. I have to shuffle and the Watchtower loses track of the curse.
2) Watchtower reaction ability resolves first. I trash the curse, shuffle, and then resolve Soothsayer ability and draw a card.

My instinct is that I can I choose the order of resolving the two abilities. If that is not the case, can someone point me to the specific rule that determines the order of execution.

Thanks.

The Soothsayer drawing is not an on-gain effect, it happens after and separately from the gaining (but cares about whether the Curse was gained or not). The relevant rule here is just that you follow the instructions on the card one at a time from top to bottom. So the Watchtower reaction decision always occurs before drawing. But, note that you gain the Curse whether you trash it or not (Watchtower trashes after the gain has already happened), so you still get to draw a card even if you trash the Curse.

This is from the FAQ in the rulebook:
"A player who uses Watchtower (from Dominion: Prosperity) to trash the Curse did gain a Curse and so draws a card; a player who uses Trader (from Dominion: Hinterlands) to gain a Silver instead did not gain a Curse and so does not draw a card."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 11:06:17 am by Mic Qsenoch »

rolandde

• Pawn
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
Re: Watchtower Soothsayer timing
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 11:14:29 am »

Thanks. That makes it very clear.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.