Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: Bonus Preview #5: Necromancer  (Read 63723 times)

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
Re: Bonus Preview #5: Necromancer
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2017, 04:00:20 pm »

Jessi J. Is great. Fairgrounds and Young Witch are two of the best. I have been disappointed none of the revealed cards have been done by her. Her style would fit this theme so well. Hopefully she has at least one of the remaining unrevealed cards.
She did Misery, Haunting, and Poverty.
Excellent! I havent seen the art for those ones yet. I do see now that they are posted on the Wiki, but the resolution is bad. I suppose I could find them on shuffle too.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2017, 04:13:57 pm »
+4

Alayna should be on the list.
She's done several pieces of artwork that really bug me.

Apart from the obvious anachronisms that have been widely noted, she seems to struggle more generally with giving her work a mediaeval feel. A lot of the time, it comes out looking like a person - frankly, an American person - with modern stature, complexion, hairstyle and demeanour who turned up at a renaissance fair in subtly inauthentic replica clothing and mysteriously unencumbering armour.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2017, 04:27:39 pm »
+3

Apart from the obvious anachronisms that have been widely noted, she seems to struggle more generally with giving her work a mediaeval feel. A lot of the time, it comes out looking like a person - frankly, an American person - with modern stature, complexion, hairstyle and demeanour who turned up at a renaissance fair in subtly inauthentic replica clothing and mysteriously unencumbering armour.

Ah yes, that was why she wasn’t on my list. The anachronistic Groundskeeper and Royal Blacksmith art.

She was a good choice for Temporum, though, where anachronism is the order of the day!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 27, 2017, 04:49:20 pm »

True. Personally I can't look at Groundskeeper without thinking "Desperate Housewives".

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5158
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 27, 2017, 05:04:21 pm »
+2

If I Necromance a Band of Misfits or an Overlord, what exactly happens? The card never leaves play, since it is never in play to begin with. I can see two plausible scenarios:

a) It will fail to imitate anything.
b) It will remain that card indefinitely, that is, unless someone manages to actually put it in play. That seems uh problematic, but would be the most literal interpretation.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 27, 2017, 05:09:58 pm »
+3

I believe the TR-BoM as Feast rules that it would still imitate whatever you want, only it would still be a BoM in the trash while doing so.

EDIT: On that note, the wiki states both this and the opposite, but I do think this was the final decision on this interaction (much ado was done back in the day about Donald reverting a decision that appeared on a rulebook).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 05:26:23 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 27, 2017, 05:13:41 pm »

I believe the TR-BoM as Feast rules that it would still imitate whatever you want, only it would still be a BoM in the trash while doing so.

I’m pretty sure this is correct, but not 100% sure.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 27, 2017, 05:16:37 pm »
+2

I wish to Necromance an Overlord as Hireling. Does that work?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2017, 05:17:37 pm »

Not unless you reduce the cost of Hireling. But if you do, then yes I think so.

fisherman

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: fisherman
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2017, 05:18:23 pm »

Not without cost reduction...

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2017, 05:18:59 pm »
+3

This art is deeply sub-par. I wish RGG put stricter quality requirements on Dominion's artists. I'm actually tempted of dropping Jay an email.
At this point, it wouldn't be Dominion if the quality of the art wasn't all over the spectrum. It's part of the charm.

I kind of like all of the art. Even the art that most people think is 'bad', to me just seems like a different style. Some I like more, but I don't really 'dislike' any.

kieranmillar

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: kieranmillar
  • Respect: +355
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2017, 05:49:59 pm »
+2

If I play a Necromancer on another Necromancer in the trash, which then plays a Conspirator that is also in the trash, do I get +1 card and +1 action?

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2017, 05:52:36 pm »
+7

If I Necromance a Band of Misfits or an Overlord, what exactly happens? The card never leaves play, since it is never in play to begin with. I can see two plausible scenarios:

a) It will fail to imitate anything.
b) It will remain that card indefinitely, that is, unless someone manages to actually put it in play. That seems uh problematic, but would be the most literal interpretation.
You pick a thing to copy (and do that thing) but the card immediately reverts to being Band of Misfits / Overlord.

So: Play Necromancer as Band of Misfits as Smithy. Get +3 Cards.

Play Necromancer as Overlord as Graverobber. You can't take the Overlord; it's no longer Graverobber.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25699
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 27, 2017, 05:52:52 pm »
+6

If I play a Necromancer on another Necromancer in the trash, which then plays a Conspirator that is also in the trash, do I get +1 card and +1 action?
Yes.

LibraryAdventurer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LibraryAdventurer
  • I wish my username had the links like it once did.
  • Respect: +1679
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 27, 2017, 07:25:50 pm »

This art is deeply sub-par. I wish RGG put stricter quality requirements on Dominion's artists. I'm actually tempted of dropping Jay an email.
At this point, it wouldn't be Dominion if the quality of the art wasn't all over the spectrum. It's part of the charm.

I kind of like all of the art. Even the art that most people think is 'bad', to me just seems like a different style. Some I like more, but I don't really 'dislike' any.
I agree, but I think it's because I'm not as much a visual person. I would never have noticed any of the things Accatitippi pointed out about the art (except maybe the Necromancer not looking at the Zombie, but that doesn't bother me either).

Some things, however, I do notice, like Scout being deformed, and the art on Pooka is really strange. The only time I've ever heard of a pooka having any rabbit characteristics is the movie Harvey, which isn't exactly a traditional pooka fairy tale. I do think it's cool that there's a pooka card, because it isn't one of the more well known creatures from folklore.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 07:41:32 pm by LibraryAdventurer »

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1004
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 27, 2017, 07:38:26 pm »

I actually made lists (before Nocturne art started) of artists that should be allowed to do Dominion art, those that should be allowed to do art without people/faces, and those who should never ever do art again. At the time, Marco Morte was on the no-faces list, but this maybe bumps him down to "no more art". Again, this is all just my opinion and has/had not much impact on what actually gets done.

My current list of artists that should be allowed to do faces:
• Claus Stephan
• Elisa Cella
• Franz Vohwinkel
• Garret deChellis
• Grant Hansen
• Jeff Himmelman
• Lorraine Schleter
Maura Kalusky should be on this list. So long as he isn't allowed to do hands.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2017, 12:43:17 am »
+1

I actually made lists (before Nocturne art started) of artists that should be allowed to do Dominion art, those that should be allowed to do art without people/faces, and those who should never ever do art again. At the time, Marco Morte was on the no-faces list, but this maybe bumps him down to "no more art". Again, this is all just my opinion and has/had not much impact on what actually gets done.

My current list of artists that should be allowed to do faces:
• Claus Stephan
• Elisa Cella
• Franz Vohwinkel
• Garret deChellis
• Grant Hansen
• Jeff Himmelman
• Lorraine Schleter
Maura Kalusky should be on this list. So long as he isn't allowed to do hands.

Martin Hoffmann should actually be on this list.  I like Vampire.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Reykjavik

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2017, 12:54:53 am »
+1

So, Lurker/Necromancer/Catacombs is a thing.

Lurker trashes Catacombs, gains you a necromancer, and lets you play that Necromancer as the Catacombs. My game also had Page in the kingdom, so it was pretty engine friendly.

Necromancer is really flexible, if there is good trashing, and decent action cards, you can just stock up on Necromancers. Engines stall when you get your actions out of order, with Necromancers that just does not happen.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 28, 2017, 01:30:47 am »

Played a game with Necromancer/Fortress. Good combo. I was able to trash my estates early on with Zombie Mason, and then in the late game I was able to consistently draw my deck with Zombie Apprentice by trashing and regaining my fortresses.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 28, 2017, 02:01:07 am »

Necromancer can be brutal with Pillage.

Necromancer is very versatile, but its raw power is really held back by each action in the trash only being playable once per copy per turn. It's no Ironmonger.

The Zombie Apprentice makes action cards Lab for a turn, having their identity assumed by a Necromancer later. That's something to consider given how Imps and Wisps fly all over the place in Nocturne.

The Zombie Mason can mill Provinces with the right setup. That's enough to make Necromancer a good consideration on some boards. The Mason can also be used as a really bad Lookout/Loan in the early game.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 28, 2017, 07:12:01 am »

The problem with Marco Morte seems to be that it's very uneven, some of his cards are great (Magpie, Crown, Transmogrify...).

Yeah, that's why I'm not asking "ban Marco Morte until hell freezes over or Dominion: More Alchemy hits the stores (whatever comes first)".
I'm not sure about how the art-making process works, is there a step where the pubblisher can reject a work for being too bad? I mean, we know he can do better than this.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1004
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 28, 2017, 10:28:45 am »
+4

Well at least the Zombies spend most of their time in the trash or face down, maybe the art was done poorly on purpose so you don't feel too bad turning them over. Also Marco Morte is a great name for a necromancer, so there's that.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 28, 2017, 10:42:58 am »

Can a necromanced Graverobber gain itself from the trash?

I mean he fails to move himself, the rules state, but he can gain a card from the trash which just happens to be himself, right?

I mean when does the „leaving it there” resolves?

I am interested in an official answer to this question
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 28, 2017, 10:46:40 am »
+1

I mean he fails to move himself, the rules state, but he can gain a card from the trash which just happens to be himself, right?

Donald X answered it in this thread. Yes, the necromanced Graverobber can gain itself.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2017, 10:50:13 am »

Donald X answered it in this thread. Yes, the necromanced Graverobber can gain itself.

Okay, so let me parse this.
- "leaving it there" just refers to not moving it from the trash to your play area.
-Any card effect that tries to move itself normally expects itself to be in play (Encampment, Mining Village, etc) and thus loses track, and fails to move it.  This is separate from the "leaving it there" clause.
-Any card effect that's actually looking for something in the trash (Graverobber, etc) will find itself, and be able to move itself.

I'm assuming you turn it face up again when it leaves the trash. ;)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 20 queries.