Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Author Topic: Previews #5: Exorcist, Pixie, Vampire  (Read 45872 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #5: Exorcist, Pixie, Vampire
« Reply #50 on: October 27, 2017, 09:18:59 am »

OMG VAMPIRE LOOKS SO FUN!
i guarantee you i will overbuy the hell out of vampires and have an army of them flopping back and forth!

...until you run out of cards to trash and have an army of bats doing squat.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2017, 09:25:42 am »
+3

I assume with Exorcist that you ignore the * in the spirit cost? I know in previous expansions the * in the cost indicated it could not be exchanged through a remodel style upgrade from a non-* card.

The reason you couldn't use a Remodel style card to gain them wasn't because of the *, it was because they aren't in the supply. You can still remodel a Gold into a Peddler.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2017, 10:09:04 am »
+18

This is my first preview season since I started playing dominion, when do we get to see the rest of the cards?

"The Dominion Fan is a normally docile creature, only leaving its habitat for tournaments with others of its kind, or to take its occasional pilgramidge to a convention. However, every once in a while the Dominion Fan enters an event called "preview season" in which it feeds daily for a week on new Dominion cards. At this point, Dominion Fans go through mood swings, becoming ecstatic then irritable, and often drop other activities and lose much sleep waiting and discussing. After this period they relapse into more calm states for a fasting period while they wait for the rulebook to be uploaded by Jay, and combat the fear of their natural predator: Shipping Delays."

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2017, 10:23:55 am »
+1

"At this point, Dominion Fans go through mood swings, becoming ecstatic then irritable, and often drop other activities and lose much sleep waiting and discussing."

Um...maybe I ought to get back to work ;-)

Sniffnoy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2017, 10:44:04 am »

I see, thanks!  Another question: How many Bats are there?  10?
Yes, as you can already see online.

Thanks!

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2017, 10:55:22 am »
+1

...until you run out of cards to trash and have an army of bats doing squat.

No problem, just hire a Mercenary to get rid of them.

...oh, crap.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2017, 11:10:15 am »
+1

People think Exorcist sounds weak?  I haven't played with these cards, and maybe some of you have tried them online, but to me it doesn't sound weak.  It has trashing, draw, and splitting.  Last time we had a pile like that, it was Sauna/Avanto.

Vampire looks very strong too.  Hexing and gaining a $5-cost seems as strong as Altar or Artisan, and trashing tends to be good too.  I guess over two plays it's a bit like a non-terminal Altar.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2017, 11:16:49 am »
+1

Asking the important question: are you going to use one tab or three when you put Spirits in your storage case?
That is my dilemma too. I really like Exorcist thematically and as a card, but I was also looking forward to dropping the spirit cards in with their respective kingdom cards. Now the spirits will have to be put somewhere else, which is a very, very minor inconvenience, but it does seems I spend about half the time with dominion trying to improve the storage and accessibility.

To actually answer the question though: three spots.

jupiter

• Swindler
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2017, 11:31:22 am »

For Vampire and Bats, what if you go to exchange a Vampire/Bats and the Bats/Vampire pile is empty? Do you just lose the card? Or do you get to keep it?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2017, 11:42:08 am »
+2

For Vampire and Bats, what if you go to exchange a Vampire/Bats and the Bats/Vampire pile is empty? Do you just lose the card? Or do you get to keep it?

You fail to exchange it, so you keep it.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

fisherman

• Steward
  • Shuffle iT Username: fisherman
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 27, 2017, 11:42:58 am »
+2

I think Exorcist is close in power to a 2-card trasher in the opening. It (usually) kills an Estate and gives a Will-o-Wisp, which (usually) draws you an extra Copper, so it is almost as if you are two cards thinner.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but then you can also exchange your early Silver(s) for Imp(s) at some point. Overall, I think Exorcist should be quite solid.

pacatak

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +26
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 27, 2017, 12:05:16 pm »

So you can swap between Vamp, and bat several times on the same turn correct?    where does the exchanged card go?

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2017, 12:20:15 pm »

So you can swap between Vamp, and bat several times on the same turn correct?    where does the exchanged card go?
It goes to your discard pile, like all cards you gain. So unless you have some way of drawing cards in the Night phase, you're only swapping once per turn.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2017, 12:22:11 pm »

I don't understand your question.

All cards that you get from an exchange go into your discard pile, always.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2017, 12:28:45 pm »
+4

unless you have some way of drawing cards in the Night phase

I do! Setup: Bats in the discard pile, Vampire, Cultist, and Bat in hand. Play a Vampire, gain a Blessed Village, getting Sea's Gift, drawing a previous Bat, and then exchanging the 1st Vamp for a Bat. Play the Bat you drew, trashing Cultist, drawing Bats, getting Vampire, playing Vampire, gaining Cultist, getting Bats, playing Bats, trashing Cultist, drawing Cultist, Blessed Village, and Vampire, getting Vampire, play Vampire, gaining Blessed Village, receiving Wind's Gift, drawing Vampire and Blessed Village, discarding Blessed Village x2, getting Bats...

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2017, 12:36:45 pm »

I don't understand your question.

All cards that you get from an exchange go into your discard pile, always.

The second question was asking where the exchanged card goes. It is returned to its pile, as explained in the rules for Travellers.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2017, 01:06:57 pm »
+4

It's kinda sad that whatever distribution difficulties there were meant this didn't ship on Halloween.  It really deserved a Halloween release.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2017, 01:44:23 pm »

It goes to your discard pile, like all cards you gain. So unless you have some way of drawing cards in the Night phase, you're only swapping once per turn.

You don't gain the cards you exchange into. Assuming it works as "exchange" does for Travellers.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2017, 01:51:49 pm »
+1

So Donald brought back the exchange mechanic, but didn't use the Traveller type. I wonder why. The characteristic of a Traveller card is that it can be exchanged into another card.

The only difference between all known Travellers and Vampire/Bat is that the former are all exchanged when they're discarded from play. But that is stated right on the card, it isn't inherent in the Traveller type (not as explained in the rules in any case). In fact, the Traveller type has no defined function. It's the term "exchange" that has a specific meaning. All Travellers have an arrow though, to remind you that they can be exchanged - which would imply that other exchangeable cards should also have that arrow - and be Travellers.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2017, 02:01:25 pm »
+1

But Vampire doesn't "travel" - it just swaps back and forth between two things. And Vampire doesn't need to remind you to exchange because it is mandatory and immediate when you play the card. For Travellers, there are often effects that care if you have other Travellers in play, and most produce some some resource, so they can't exchange immediately.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2017, 02:02:33 pm »

So Donald brought back the exchange mechanic, but didn't use the Traveller type. I wonder why. The characteristic of a Traveller card is that it can be exchanged into another card.

The only difference between all known Travellers and Vampire/Bat is that the former are all exchanged when they're discarded from play. But that is stated right on the card, it isn't inherent in the Traveller type (not as explained in the rules in any case). In fact, the Traveller type has no defined function. It's the term "exchange" that has a specific meaning. All Travellers have an arrow though, to remind you that they can be exchanged - which would imply that other exchangeable cards should also have that arrow - and be Travellers.

Travelers (anyone else's spell check dislike the double 'l'?) are uni-directional "upgrades". I think the arrow isn't about the exchange so much as the upgrade.

Vampire and Bat are bi-directional exchangers. I suppose you could have an arrow going one way on Bat and the other way on Vampire, but I don't think that adds any clarity.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2017, 02:10:05 pm »
+5

I suppose you could have an arrow going one way on Bat and the other way on Vampire, but I don't think that adds any clarity.

"I'm With Stupid."

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2017, 02:12:27 pm »
+2

"Each other player receives the next Hex"

Does that mean that in a 4-player game, my 3 opponents all get hit by the same Hex, or do they each receive different hexes in turn?

Grammar debate: The sequel

We should tackle this one as soon as the other one is resolved.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2017, 02:12:40 pm »

Imp is probably one of the most useful, versatile draw cards in the game.

Um, it's strictly worse than lab.

The opportunity cost is generally a lot lower than getting a Lab. Granted, that’s mostly with Devil’s Workshop out, but even with Exorcist there are tons of boards where you’re happy to get semi nonterminal draw. Drawing cards is so good, especially usually non terminally.

How many Imps you can support depends on what other non-terminals are on the board. Generally, turning Estates into Imps will be a very good deal. If you board sucks for Imps, there are at least Will-o-Wisps to gain. Trashing with Exorcist for Wisps honestly doesn't sound like enough on its own, but it helps get around the problem of not wanting more Imps.

Unfortunately, you can't turn estates into Imps.

But seriously, why isn't everyone freaking out about Goat?

I meant to say Silver. I had Silver in my head I tell you.

I played with Exorcist a bit. It's kinda convenient.

ozyx

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2017, 02:41:55 pm »
+1

Shouldn't an Exorcist be getting rid of Spirits from your deck?  Or maybe Exorcist should be Medium (or something that summons spirits)?  :P

I suppose Exorcist is removing Spirits from their piles...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 21 queries.