Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: Previews #5: Exorcist, Pixie, Vampire  (Read 45879 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Previews #5: Exorcist, Pixie, Vampire
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:00:09 am »
+33

And now, something extra! Yes it's the last Nocturne preview.

The 5th theme of this set is extra cards. And you've been seeing them all week, there were too many to just save them for today. But here are some more of these things. And more cards for the previous themes; they're all interconnected.

Exorcist at last explains what Spirit is all about. It turns cards into Spirits. There are three Spirits and you've seen them all: Will-o'-Wisp, Imp, Ghost. So Exorcist can turn an Estate into a Wisp, a Silver into an Imp, and so on. And Wisp can draw Imp, and Imp can play Wisp, and Ghost can hit Wisps and Imps; if you get a bunch of Spirits they are a card-drawing package.

Pixie is another Fate card and has another Heirloom. It gives you a Boon twice, but just once, and it hangs around until the Boon is good enough. One of the Boons is The Flame's Gift, which trashes, but it's not super-unfair if Pixie hits that in a game with no other trashers, because there's always another trasher: Goat. It eats anything. And you sell its milk or something.

Of course there had to be a Vampire, and of course it turns into a Bat. That's what they do. Well vampires do tons of things, but that's one of them, and you can only capture so much in a Dominion card. Vampire gains you cards and Hexes people, while Bat is a trasher, and has to feed to turn back.

The online version will have all the preview cards through the weekend (and then won't have them again until the physical version comes out). The physical version is now expected to ship from RGG on November 13 (so stores will have it a few days later).

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #5: Exorcist, Pixie, Vampire
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 03:02:37 am »

Those Night cards look stunning. The best yet.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:03:40 am by Cave-o-sapien »

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 03:06:12 am »
+1

The expansion with most new mechanics so far.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 03:07:38 am »
+3

Trash Rats with Bats!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Ethan

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:10:39 am »
+1

Trash Rats with Bats!
FEED Bats with Rats!

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:22 am »

Love that the themes are all coming together. This set is cwazy. Also, just curious, any reason these Exchange cards don’t have the big arrow?

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 03:13:58 am »
+4

Love that the themes are all coming together. This set is cwazy. Also, just curious, any reason these Exchange cards don’t have the big arrow?

Big arrow is not for Exchanging cards, it’s for Traveller lines

Edit: spelling
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:17:32 am by LaLight »
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 03:16:26 am »

Big areow is not for Exchanging cards, it’s for Traveller lines
Huh, I always assumed it was to remind you to Exchange. Thanks!

Sniffnoy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:53 am »

So wait, when do you play with a given Spirit pile?  Obviously if you play with the card that generates a specific Spirit you include that Spirit.  If you play with Exorcist do you include all the Spirits?

crlundy

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 03:20:14 am »
+1

So wait, when do you play with a given Spirit pile?  Obviously if you play with the card that generates a specific Spirit you include that Spirit.  If you play with Exorcist do you include all the Spirits?
I think you’re essentially always playing with all non-Supply piles. But you’ll only get them out (or display online) for cards that reference them.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 03:21:42 am »
+1

Yes, you include them all, but they're non-supply piles.

Ethan

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 03:25:54 am »
+7

I'm a player from China, not familiar with western mythology. I try to find the connection between Pixie and Goat in Google and Wikipedia, but nothing was found. Could anybody tell me why they are a couple of Kingdom-Heirloom cards here?

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 03:36:32 am »
+3

I'm a player from China, not familiar with western mythology. I try to find the connection between Pixie and Goat in Google and Wikipedia, but nothing was found. Could anybody tell me why they are a couple of Kingdom-Heirloom cards here?
Not sure but I guess the connection is moorland / mountainous / highland regions.

--
I like all these cards. Simple, straightforward.

Pixie is elegant as a $2 that exits your deck instead of permanently taking up space like Pearl Diver. And gives you control over going for the boon or not, which is a welcome way to ameliorate their randomness and give the player more agency/choice.
My opponent has more loot than me

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1795
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 03:39:32 am »
+1

This expansion seems like it's the best one yet at integrating theme and flavour.
It could be a consequence of Donald's magic TG background.

Sniffnoy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 03:58:28 am »

Yes, you include them all, but they're non-supply piles.

I see, thanks!  Another question: How many Bats are there?  10?

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 04:00:42 am »

So, the previous Night cards all seemed to have a mechanical reason for being Night cards rather than, say non-terminal Action cards. Devil's Workshop counted gains; Raider and Crypt cared about cards in play; Ghost Town had the gain-to-hand thing, so you could play it at Night after buying it; Werewolf used it to select between two modes of operation; Ghost could work on a thing you just bought.

So how about today's Night cards?

I guess Exorcist's and Vampire's gaining during Night keeps you from being able to use the cards the turn you gain them (unless there's some way to draw a Ghost you gained), so it might be a power-level thing. (The same would apply to Devil's Workshop.)

And I guess Vampire and Bat sort of gain each other, so being Night cards prevents them from mutually recursing during a turn. (Although if they were actions, they could maybe have just exchanged on discard like Travellers do...)

Also, Exorcist and Bats trash cards in your hand. So you can use what would otherwise be a turn-ending terminal draw action to get stuff into your hand and then still be able to play the Night cards to trash it.

Anything else?

EDIT:

There's also the tiny interaction with Locusts caring about type. And maybe there are things that reference Night cards specifically, like "gain a Night card costing up to $N" or something.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:07:12 am by chipperMDW »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 04:01:39 am »
+6

There's not really a connection. The mythology in this set is mostly Celtic. The people who believed in faeries were peasants; they'd have goats. The things the faeries did involved everyday life.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 04:01:55 am »
+1

I see, thanks!  Another question: How many Bats are there?  10?
Yes, as you can already see online.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 04:04:49 am »
+10

So, the previous Night cards all seemed to have a mechanical reason for being Night cards rather than, say non-terminal Action cards.
Exorcist for a long time could trash cards from play. When it stopped doing that, it was clear that it no longer had to be a Night card. And the feeling was that Night cards should have a reason for being Night cards, shouldn't just randomly be Night cards. It felt better leaving Exorcist as a Night card though, I don't know what to tell you.

Vampire and Bat had to be Night cards because Vampires only go out at Night. My hands were tied there. Yes it's also nice to prevent too quickly switching forms.

Ethan

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2017, 04:27:15 am »
+2

There's not really a connection. The mythology in this set is mostly Celtic. The people who believed in faeries were peasants; they'd have goats. The things the faeries did involved everyday life.
Thank you! I have to say this expansion has so many difficult things about western culture for me to understand.

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 04:58:26 am »

D'oh..I missed Exorcist's "Gain a cheaper" when I first read it.

So in reality it's super slow, the only redeeming factor is that it comes out at night so you don't need an action to play it, and can open it alongside a terminal, like say Swindler or Gladiator. But basically any other $3/$4 trasher (or Miser) is much better as an opener.

Later on a few Imps and a Ghost or two are nice to get, however they come late and the opportunity cost of needing to trash an unplayed silver or $5 is steep.

I don't like the card as it turns out. It's one of the weakest $4 in Dominion, though at least it's a trasher so one can't complain too much. But it's outclassed by every other $3/$4 trasher, including Develop and Loan

Late edit: Okay I'm going to disagree with myself a bit. Turning estates into Wisps is reasonably helpful, and it can be drawn "dead" along with a $5 and still come out at night to net you a Ghost upgrade without so much opportunity cost. Not amazing, but there's potential.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 07:44:29 am by Gherald »
My opponent has more loot than me

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2017, 04:59:22 am »

Pixie is another great $2, a recurring theme of this expansion. It never hurts, but gives you good control over the boons pile. And in the end it clears itself away. Goat is fun too.

I do not really understand the benefits of Vampire. $5 looks like a steep price for an unthroneable random attack which is weaker than all other $5 attacks. The fact that it trashes itself for another $5 does not make it better - if you wanted the other $5, why did you not purchase it in the first place? Bats seem also rather weak to me. Best case scenario is that you can use your bats turn 5 to trash 2 cards without any additional advantage. Yes, you might have more choice if you had a lot of draw, but with +action that is true for all other trashers. In my opinion, this compares unfavorably even to weaker trashers like Rat Catcher, Lookout or even Trade Route.

So in the end, you have a so-so attack, that exchanges itself for a useful card and a weak trasher. Feels like a Jack of all Trades, master of none situation. And I have not even started, comparing it to Skulk.

So, what am I missing here? After all this playtesting, there should be a reason why it costs 5.

jnnmn

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2017, 05:10:04 am »
+1

So, now that we know that there are other ways to get a Ghost, why are there 6? It made sense at first because the only way to get them was by trashing a Haunted Mirror, and there are 6 of them at most. But now there is an other way of getting them. Are they to powerful? Then why not take one per player?

And on that note: why are there 12 Will o' Wisps and 13 Imps? Why not all 10? Or 12?

navical

• Golem
  • Respect: +268
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2017, 05:13:00 am »
+1

I do not really understand the benefits of Vampire. $5 looks like a steep price for an unthroneable random attack which is weaker than all other $5 attacks. The fact that it trashes itself for another $5 does not make it better - if you wanted the other $5, why did you not purchase it in the first place? Bats seem also rather weak to me. Best case scenario is that you can use your bats turn 5 to trash 2 cards without any additional advantage. Yes, you might have more choice if you had a lot of draw, but with +action that is true for all other trashers. In my opinion, this compares unfavorably even to weaker trashers like Rat Catcher, Lookout or even Trade Route.

So in the end, you have a so-so attack, that exchanges itself for a useful card and a weak trasher. Feels like a Jack of all Trades, master of none situation. And I have not even started, comparing it to Skulk.

So, what am I missing here? After all this playtesting, there should be a reason why it costs 5.
The fact that the Bats turn back into a Vampire, so next shuffle you get another $5 gain (and hexing)?

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 05:14:30 am »
+5

But it's outclassed by every other $3/$4 trasher, including Develop and Loan

Maybe, but there are cards on the board that only Exorcist can gain, and in some kingdoms it will be the only access to engine components.  So it might be a slower trasher but with a big payoff.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.