Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]  All

Author Topic: Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village  (Read 122996 times)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village
« Reply #300 on: November 03, 2017, 06:12:44 pm »
+1

Are you just feeling like you’re not being heard? Trust me, you are. Your message has been received. Hexes are worse than Swindler’s attack because there’s less strategy around them. Got it.

It seems like you see someone complaining about something and parroting the same thing over and over.

I see someone trying to understand and articulate what it is they dislike about that thing.

I don't see why the latter is so objectionable. You may disagree with it, but I think it's interesting.

And I’m just trying to say, “I understand and accept your point.”

Fair enough. I think it will be really interesting to see how opinions evolve on these cards over time -- as happens in every set -- but especially in the cases where people have staked out pretty bold positions.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: November 04, 2017, 11:45:02 am »

So I mentioned this before, but is there any reason why Locusts doesn't give you a Curse when it trashes a Curse? I mean, obviously all games with Hexes have Curses. I'm not sure whether this is an oversight or meant to tie in with the "random" theme of Boons and Hexes. Or was the idea here just, nah, that's not going to happen often enough to be worth the one word?
Many of the things I regret in published Dominion cards involve me adding extra words to try to squeeze out extra play value from something. These days I struggle to not do that. So I do not just add a word for an uncommon situation.

It was no secret that Locusts could trash a Curse. And I have seen it trash Curses. And those were good times, net happiness increased.

But is word count really that important? I recall you once saying that Native Village was a wall of text, but it was okay because the card was really simple on a conceptual level. I can see why you would want to reduce complexity there, but outside of Shelters or Ruins (which are from another expansion), I'd argue that, conceptionally, replacing any junk with a Curse is at least as simple as replacing two kinds of junk with a Curse and just trashing the other. It's also less random, but I guess your experience was that random doesn't mean bad times.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 11:46:07 am by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: November 04, 2017, 12:50:29 pm »

So I mentioned this before, but is there any reason why Locusts doesn't give you a Curse when it trashes a Curse? I mean, obviously all games with Hexes have Curses. I'm not sure whether this is an oversight or meant to tie in with the "random" theme of Boons and Hexes. Or was the idea here just, nah, that's not going to happen often enough to be worth the one word?
Many of the things I regret in published Dominion cards involve me adding extra words to try to squeeze out extra play value from something. These days I struggle to not do that. So I do not just add a word for an uncommon situation.

It was no secret that Locusts could trash a Curse. And I have seen it trash Curses. And those were good times, net happiness increased.

But is word count really that important? I recall you once saying that Native Village was a wall of text, but it was okay because the card was really simple on a conceptual level. I can see why you would want to reduce complexity there, but outside of Shelters or Ruins (which are from another expansion), I'd argue that, conceptionally, replacing any junk with a Curse is at least as simple as replacing two kinds of junk with a Curse and just trashing the other. It's also less random, but I guess your experience was that random doesn't mean bad times.

It’s still not any kind of junk, though. What about Ruins and Shelters?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #303 on: November 04, 2017, 12:55:50 pm »

Why couldn't it be "Trash the top card of your deck. Gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it. If you didn't, gain a Curse."?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: November 04, 2017, 01:03:06 pm »
+2

Trash Royal Blacksmith
Get a Curse
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: November 04, 2017, 01:37:50 pm »
+2

It’s still not any kind of junk, though. What about Ruins and Shelters?

Shelters or Ruins (which are from another expansion)

Other expansion. Like Royal Blacksmith.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: November 04, 2017, 05:41:39 pm »
+11

Why couldn't it be "Trash the top card of your deck. Gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it. If you didn't, gain a Curse."?
It was too harsh when hitting e.g. a Village with no cheaper Action.

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: November 08, 2017, 01:35:16 pm »

Trash Royal Blacksmith
Get a Curse

But Curse does not cost less than Royal blacksmith, it just has a different currency.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: November 08, 2017, 01:48:09 pm »
+7

Trash Royal Blacksmith
Get a Curse

But Curse does not cost less than Royal blacksmith, it just has a different currency.

Not true, by Dominion rules 8D > 0.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: November 08, 2017, 02:04:54 pm »
+6

Trash Royal Blacksmith
Get a Curse

Not true, by Dominion rules 8D > 0.

More specifically, ,,0 > 0,,0.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: November 08, 2017, 03:11:48 pm »

I think he was more specifically responding to Awaculus' theoretical "Gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it. If you didn't, gain a Curse." wording. As in: it would suck to do that with something like Royal Blacksmith.

Under either wording, Curse doesn't fulfill the "shares a type with it" clause anyway, so the point is moot.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.