Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village  (Read 122999 times)

Lotoreo

• Baron
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2017, 09:42:05 am »

How should we handle Bad Omen, if we do only have one copper in our discard? I just saw in the online implementation, that the one copper is put on top of deck. In an offline game, I would argue that, and demand that I just reveal that I can not put two copper on top of my deck.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2017, 09:50:04 am »
+3

How should we handle Bad Omen, if we do only have one copper in our discard? I just saw in the online implementation, that the one copper is put on top of deck. In an offline game, I would argue that, and demand that I just reveal that I can not put two copper on top of my deck.
Standard Dominion rules apply: when ordered to do something that you can't do in full, do as much of it as you can. The same reason that Mountebank still gives out Coppers when the Curses have run out.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2017, 09:57:22 am »

Yesterday I played a goons-werewolf game.
At some point I got up to speed and could attack with two ww every turn.
My first three double-ww turns:
Goons-poverty-haunting (duh)
Goons-bad omens-famine (chancellor is back, in attack form)
Goons-envy-delusion (opponent has no silver nor gold)

Remind me how hexes are supposed to hurt my opponent?

That is some incredible bad luck on your part. But as I said, the Hexes are pretty swingy.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2017, 10:17:39 am »
+2

Yesterday I played a goons-werewolf game.
At some point I got up to speed and could attack with two ww every turn.
My first three double-ww turns:
Goons-poverty-haunting (duh)
Goons-bad omens-famine (chancellor is back, in attack form)
Goons-envy-delusion (opponent has no silver nor gold)

Remind me how hexes are supposed to hurt my opponent?

That is some incredible bad luck on your part. But as I said, the Hexes are pretty swingy.
Hey, at least the hexes are going to provide a lot of semi-interesting or interesting moments to post in the threads. We've had them for less than two days and I've already read about some really unlucky moments.

In all, I really do not mind the hexes. In a competitive format, maybe those cards get removed. There are a lot of other cards to play with in Dominion, including this set (seriously, some really great new cards and we've only seen a little over half). But playing casually, I've already had a lot of great moments with them where my opponent and I just laugh on the chat about what happened.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2017, 10:46:00 am »
+3

But is it something we want to play all the time? Repeated games of? Pseudo-competitively? I think not. What we've seen of Nocturne so far will probably make it one of the least-liked expansions, out of all of them. It's not bad, it's okay -- it's just not rising to any level of greatness. I'd rather play with Alchemy than Nocturne, mmk?
I don't get this criticism at all. Hexes are at worst a Cursing or Saboteur-like effect, which are/were regular features of Dominion. Why does the fact that Hex is often less bad than the worst case suddenly make it an unattractive concept?
It's not a matter of which one is worse, it's a matter of which can be predited. Cursing is predictable, hexing isn't. I know what happens if I choose to play my Witch as my last action vs. something else. I don't know what's going to happen when making a decision to hex or not to hex with my Skulk or Werewolf. Maybe my hex will trash your only Warrior and win the game, or maybe it will let your Menagerie proc and actually help you get off a great turn. Who the hell knows?

To be fair, your example of Cursing is cherry-picked. If I play Militia, it also might not hurt my opponent at all. Knights are even more likely to whiff, and likewise spies.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 27, 2017, 10:49:27 am »
+2

I was puzzled by what looked like a deliberate introduction of more chance, but I'm optimistic about it.

Earlier I mentioned Richard Garfield's talk on luck vs skill.  His main point in that talk is that luck and skill aren't mutually exclusive, and you can design a game that has more luck and more skill.  It's fairly clear that hexes and boons introduce more luck into the game.  But arguably they also introduce more skill.  Right now, none of us really know what to do with them.  How much value do we place on them?  How good is it to stack them?  What are the best ways to defend against hexes?  And because of the random noise, it might take us a while to figure it out.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2017, 01:08:13 pm »

I don't get this criticism at all. Hexes are at worst a Cursing or Saboteur-like effect, which are/were regular features of Dominion. Why does the fact that Hex is often less bad than the worst case suddenly make it an unattractive concept?
Suppose there is some card, Meanie, in the kingdom that's an indescribably horrible attack. The way Dominion is set up, all players can acquire Meanies and play them. The game might turn into a slog, but at least it's bad for everyone.

Similarly if there is some card, Feeble Poke, in the kingdom that's the most insipid attack ever, that doesn't matter because it's equally useless for everyone.

The issue with Hexes is that it can be a Meanie when I play it, then a Feeble Poke when you do. By sheer luck. That's swingy.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2017, 01:09:51 pm »
+1

Yesterday, when previews #4 were new and fresh, I was paying close attention to the card names.

One day later, every time I glance at "Skulk", I'm reading "Skunk". )-8

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2017, 01:10:39 pm »
+9

From the games I have played, it looks like the luck factor introduced by Boons and Hexes is negligible next to all the luck that already existed in Dominion to begin with.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2017, 01:19:44 pm »

The issue with Hexes is that it can be a Meanie when I play it, then a Feeble Poke when you do. By sheer luck. That's swingy.

For me it's the multiplicative swingy-ness that makes it hard to evaluate. The probability of getting Locusts, for example, combined with the probability that Locusts hits a good card makes it quite swingy.

We already have cards like this. The Page line is a pretty good comparable: shuffle luck could mean I get my Warrior before you, and further luck could mean my Warrior trashes your Warrior.

The Page line is strong enough that it gets played quite often (and people do complain about it being swingy). Will Hexes be strong enough that we are still talking about them being swingy six months from now? Hard to say.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 27, 2017, 01:25:49 pm »

One thing that intrigues me: Heirlooms might reduce swinginess by mitigating the 5/2 split. Hexes might increase swinginess. What will be the net effect on swinginess if you play with both?

Personally, I wouldn't want Dominion turning into a luck-free game, but do feel it could do with a little less.

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 27, 2017, 02:47:39 pm »
+2

From the games I have played, it looks like the luck factor introduced by Boons and Hexes is negligible next to all the luck that already existed in Dominion to begin with.

This is exactly my feeling on the matter. Even from the base set you already had the experience of "I play Witch and my opponent Moats, my opponent plays Witch when I don't have my Moat. I dead draw a Village and Witch with my Witch, my opponent plays Village and two Witches." I don't see Hexes being significantly different in that regard, except that the overt randomness makes it seem worse when it doesn't work out.

I also think implementation is a huge factor: e.g. you're often buying Blessed Village for a village anyway so paying an extra $1 for a random bonus doesn't rankle you, you might be buying Skulk because it's the only +buy and, hey, free Gold! etc.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 27, 2017, 03:38:41 pm »

I also think implementation is a huge factor: e.g. you're often buying Blessed Village for a village anyway so paying an extra $1 for a random bonus doesn't rankle you, you might be buying Skulk because it's the only +buy and, hey, free Gold! etc.

The implied cost of $1 for a Boon here makes sense, but I don't know if it translates to Hexes -- at least not in the case of Skulk.

What would be the appropriate cost for this card?

Lumberjack
+1 Buy
When you gain this, gain a Gold

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 27, 2017, 03:47:08 pm »
+1

For me it's the multiplicative swingy-ness that makes it hard to evaluate. The probability of getting Locusts, for example, combined with the probability that Locusts hits a good card makes it quite swingy.

I hit an opponent's Vampire with Locusts.  There were no other Night, Attack, or Doom cards in the tableau.  He didn't even get a mediocre Silver as a replacement.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 27, 2017, 03:51:09 pm »
+11

I hit an opponent's Vampire with Locusts.  There were no other Night, Attack, or Doom cards in the tableau.  He didn't even get a mediocre Silver as a replacement.

We've finally discovered a Vampire's greatest weakness!

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 27, 2017, 03:52:56 pm »
+4

I am sympathetic to this viewpoint. I like Adventures a lot, but do think it's a bummer that you have to get out a thing of chits to play with it

For sure, but oh well, what can ya do. Adventures itself is awesome. It's kinda crazy- the 2015-2017 expansions make the 2009-2013 expansions look anemic by comparison, and Adventures was of course the beginning of all that. Just so many new ideas being put into each expansion. And normally I feel like games lose their way when they try to do so much, but Dominion has made it work. So kudos for that. Sounds like some people are apprehensive about some elements of Nocturne, but I'm feeling pretty optimistic about it!

Glad to hear we have a token-less expansion coming in a couple weeks!

And well I did do Tax. It's kind of a dud though I enjoy the set-up, the set-up is what kept it alive.

That set-up is a lot of fun! It seems like the concept of Tax's on-Buy is stubborn. No matter how I go through the thought experiment of how to make Tax less of a dud, it seems like it either wants to be too good or stay a dud. But y'know, when one Event is a partial dud, it's not so disappointing. It wasn't taking up much space.

Well I'm hoping I haven't killed Dominion

There's gonna be, what, 15 Doom 'n Boons (I know- Doom 'n Fate- but it doesn't rhyme)? And only like 5 of them are Attacks (one of which is just a Curser). Even if they were the worst thing ever, I think Nocturne will be great. And even if Nocturne were a dud, it's not like Alchemy killed Dominion. Heck, a lot of us even use Alchemy just as much as our other cards  ;)

Different players want different things. A lot of people used to say that Seaside and Prosperity were the best expansions. I personally ranked them on the lower end. My "desert island" expansion is Hinterlands. Some might say Empires. I'm sure some will eventually say Nocturne. We all differ. But I'm sure your sample size has been fine, given that it has led to so many great expansions in the past. Hope you don't stress too much leading up to release!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:59:15 pm by FemurLemur »

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 27, 2017, 03:53:37 pm »
+2

I drew Locusts and hit my opponent's Royal Blacksmith. There was no replacement. The debt was not even paid off yet. That is way swingier than Swindler.

I don't see this as a flaw with the Hexes. Your opponent knows Locusts is 1 of 12 possible attacks. They should not have bought Royal Blacksmith. Some might say that there were low odds of the Locusts hitting the Royal Blacksmith, and this is perhaps true, but if that is the justification you're going to give yourself, you can't then throw a fit when it happens and fault the card. You knew the risk you were taking when you bought that Royal Blacksmith, and you took it anyway in hopes of higher reward. Don't commit the Gambler's Fallacy. Low odds are not zero odds.

It's like complaining about your Terminals colliding. If you're mad that your Turn 3 seems to sometimes be two Smithies, and sometimes just one, maybe you should stop buying two Smithies on the opening. It's not that Smithy is a "swingy" card. It's buyer's remorse.

I'm not yet convinced there's a problem with Hexes. As LastFootnote pointed out, many of them have anti-synergy such that playing multiple in a turn can be counterproductive. I especially feel like I'm missing something with Locusts, given how many complaints there have been. I get to pick (albeit with some restrictions) which card I replace my trashed card with, right? So what's the problem? Try to build your decks so that they can handle swapping out one of your $5 with a $4 if need be- even if such a plan is less optimal than what you would normally build. Either that or just accept the risk of Locusts. That's your call. The worst scenario I can imagine where something happens at no fault of your own is a Kingdom with no alt-VPs, and having your Province swarmed and replaced with a Duchy. And while that does suck, it's also not anywhere near as earth-shattering as I think some are making it out to be. Sometimes your opponent Minions your Province-buying hand, and sometimes they Minion a hand you weren't excited about anyway. Sometimes Sea Hag discards your Gold, and sometimes it discards your Estate. Attacks aren't meant to make you happy. Welcome to Dominion.

None of this is to say that there's definitely not a problem with Locusts. Just that I am currently unconvinced that you have no way to respond to/prepare for Locusts.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 27, 2017, 03:56:57 pm »

Yesterday, when previews #4 were new and fresh, I was paying close attention to the card names.

One day later, every time I glance at "Skulk", I'm reading "Skunk". )-8

From the moment I first saw it revealed, I kept reading it as "Shulk", like the character from Xenoblade and Super Smash Bros.

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1781
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 27, 2017, 03:58:39 pm »
+1

The implied cost of $1 for a Boon here makes sense, but I don't know if it translates to Hexes -- at least not in the case of Skulk.

Lumberjack
+1 Buy

No less than $3. Note that Blessed Village's Boon is on-gain, while Skulk requires an action to Hex an opponent. But the cost of this card is not that informative about the value of an action that hexes. No matter how bad a card comes with the Gold, a $2 cost would enable Gold to be picked up too cheaply for decks that can easily trash the junk card it comes with.

tastor

• Scout
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 27, 2017, 04:00:19 pm »
+2

Lumberjack
+1 Buy

No less than $3. No matter how bad a card comes with the Gold, a $2 cost would enable Gold to be picked up too cheaply for decks that can easily trash the junk card it comes with.

Also, more importantly, the "implied cost of $1" is for a single Boon when you gain Blessed Village.

I'm not sure how I'd rate those individual abilities but then again I think that's always a fallacy in Dominion because context matters. Secret Chamber was such a poor card that it got cut from Dominion, yet you add +2 cards and take away the reaction and you have a $5 so powerful it had to come with a penalty, which would make the implied cost of +2 cards north of $3.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 27, 2017, 04:13:00 pm »
+2

It's like complaining about your Terminals colliding. If you're mad that your Turn 3 seems to sometimes be two Smithies, and sometimes just one, maybe you should stop buying two Smithies on the opening. It's not that Smithy is a "swingy" card. It's buyer's remorse.

The probability of those two terminals colliding on T3 or T4 is about 30%. The probability of getting hexed and losing your Royal Blacksmith, assuming you have, say, 20 cards in your deck, is about 0.5%. Surely there is a bit of a difference?

Not arguing for or against Hexes here, just saying that avoiding to buy Royal Blacksmith because Hexes kinda sounds like a losing move. Even assuming you only buy cards that won't be replaced by locusts, we are still looking at, what, 5% chance to lose one everytime you are hexed.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #196 on: October 27, 2017, 04:26:27 pm »

And then my opponent's War trashed my Ghost...
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 27, 2017, 04:33:24 pm »
+1

And then my opponent's War trashed my Ghost...

Arguably that’s a problem with Ghost’s cost. All the Spirits could have cost more, and Exorcist could have been adjusted accordingly, but then Will-o’-Wisps couldn’t draw Imps.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 27, 2017, 04:41:48 pm »
+1

The probability of those two terminals colliding on T3 or T4 is about 30%. The probability of getting hexed and losing your Royal Blacksmith, assuming you have, say, 20 cards in your deck, is about 0.5%. Surely there is a bit of a difference?

Well, yes and no. {No} because your example there uses an Apples to Oranges comparison, because you're comparing a 12 card deck to a 20 card deck, implying we're talking about different Turns as well. {Yes} because I do still agree with your overall conclusion that there's a significant difference in probability even on Turn 3, as the Royal Blacksmith would have to be your topdeck, your opponent would've had to have drawn their Doom-Attack, and the top Hex would have to be Locusts.

Really they're only alike in the sense that, you don't necessarily have to complain about terminal Smithies. Just don't open with two Smithies. You aren't helpless. You have some decisions to make.

just saying that avoiding to buy Royal Blacksmith because Hexes kinda sounds like a losing move.

Well, I'd agree with that, but I'm also not operating under the premise that having my Royal Blacksmith eaten by Locusts is devastating like I think OP is. If I were, then I'd probably avoid the Royal Blacksmith, because it would not be a reliable strategy.

crj

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 27, 2017, 04:46:03 pm »
+3

I drew Locusts and hit my opponent's Royal Blacksmith. There was no replacement. The debt was not even paid off yet. That is way swingier than Swindler.

I don't see this as a flaw with the Hexes. Your opponent knows Locusts is 1 of 12 possible attacks. They should not have bought Royal Blacksmith.
If their Royal Blacksmith is one of 17 cards in their deck, then being hexed has only a 1 in 200 chance of trashing their Royal Blacksmith.

Avoiding an otherwise good strategy because of a 1 in 200 risk is not winning play.

And then, if you're hit by that 1 in 200 risk, you've been fantastically, exasperatingly, unlucky.

Suppose we added a Landmark, Lightning Bolt: "At the end of the game, shuffle together all the basic Treasures and this. The person with the most VP draws a card. If it's Lightning Bolt, they receive -1,000,000VP." Would you focus on not getting the most VP in case that happened? If you scored most VP and got struck by Lightning, would you give a stoic shrug and congratulate the winner? Or would you decide Lightning Bolt wasn't fun and decline to play using it?

Of course, Hexes aren't Lightning Bolt. They have the potential to be a lot of fun. But the worry of the potential no-fun downside still there.

Given two of the people I play with regularly veto Saboteur, I'm a bit concerned I'll have to house-rule Locusts away in order to get a game.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.