Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village  (Read 123009 times)

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 08:52:35 am »
+3

Pros- Lots of cool new card types, and the art is pretty great, especially Cursed Village
Cons- How come Werewolf doesn't care about silver?

Because Silver unfortunately only comes in coin form in the dominion world, and not in the bullet or dagger form.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2017, 08:58:54 am »
+4

So long as Vampire cares about Bridge, Ferry, Haunted Mirror and Spice Merchant we're still good.

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2017, 08:59:41 am »

Shouldn't there be 13 hexes? Missed the flavor boat on that one.

I'm a bit conflicted. These seem extremely "swingy" since they can range from completely irrelevant to absolutely crushing depending on the kingdom. I predict there will be players in my group that will want to ban them entirely, claiming that they just make the outcome of the whole game random.

Which is sad, because there's an element of this that really badly punishes misplays. Some of the obvious defenses against hexes only defend you against some hexes. Players who purchase specific cards as hex defense could very easily be junking their own deck. Buying Hound when there's no self-discard would be bad. Buying Watchtower to defend against junkers in a positive draw engine could frequently be a dead card. Buying virtual money instead of Silver/Gold to defend against Envy could give you terminal trouble. And unlike most cursers, Hexes aren't just going to run the curse pile down to zero in nothing flat, so it dramatically changes the math on the typical slog three-pile ending.

And yeah, Lighthouse and Champion nullify them all, but on the way to Champion, you have, appropriately, the one person who WANTS to go to War. War will find the Warrior. Hopefully you have enough decoy Treasure Hunter Silvers, otherwise, no Champion for you. Yeah, you have to get unlucky, but who hasn't lost a Warrior to lucky Warrior?

« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 09:03:06 am by JThorne »

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2017, 08:59:45 am »

Pros- Lots of cool new card types, and the art is pretty great, especially Cursed Village
*chokes*

Your Werewolf will always be the official unofficial real Werewolf.

Great, that means that mine's unofficial-unofficial...

I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be an "until you reveal one..." clause that somehow didn't make the big block of size-8 font.  But it has Silver bane, w00t!
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2017, 09:03:48 am »

Oh, and this card is probably garbage if you don't have Smithy Attack cards on the board, but if you do, it's cool times...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-YRPTn8p7ZBM/U6ni5zdBOqI/AAAAAAAAAUA/pykgtbXXJyg/s1600/full-moon.jpg

Werewolf probably should've given +3 cards and been a split pile with Full Moon, but this was before Split Piles were a thing, and...  whatever, they can't all be the best fan card.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Simon (DK)

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Sirusc
  • Respect: +218
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2017, 09:06:19 am »
+1

Just to be sure: What happens the 3rd time you get Misery?
You already have Twice Miserable and you have to "flip it over to Twice Miserable".
I suppose "it" refers to Miserable, and since you don't have Miserable you can't flip it over, so nothing happens?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2017, 09:08:46 am »
+5

What is going on in the Envy art?

It's an amphibian man enviously staring at his fellow amphibian men flying free while he's encased in a bottle. Something everybody can relate to.

*chokes*

Your Werewolf will always be the official unofficial real Werewolf.

Awwooooooooof!

Edit: Removed fan card image.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:14:11 am by Asper »

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2017, 09:23:15 am »
+3

Other hexes:
Bad omens: Put your deck into your discard pile. Look through it and put 2 Coppers from it onto your deck (or reveal you can't).
Hmm. That's slightly ambiguous. Is "it" your discard pile or the deck you just put into your discard pile?
 Locusts?

Did you really just use the "A" word; after what we went through yesterday?  ;)

I think it's pretty clear.  If you follow the instructions in order, then there is no deck to which "it" may refer.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2017, 09:26:02 am »

Edit: Removed fan card discussion post.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 11:13:54 am by Asper »

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2017, 09:40:22 am »
+6

In moments like this, I really wish Donald would look at fan card threads once in a while.

Do not imagine that Donald X. didn't think of having a Silver interaction in Werewolf.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2017, 09:45:58 am »
+1

In moments like this, I really wish Donald would look at fan card threads once in a while.

Do not imagine that Donald X. didn't think of having a Silver interaction in Werewolf.
Agreed. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. I'm sure we'll see something in the outtakes. I was really hoping we would get a day/night card and werewolf is perfect for that.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2017, 09:48:55 am »
+1

I really like the Werewolf art (for the official card). That dude's chill right now, but you know he's gonna start some trouble when night falls.

Actually, all the art for this batch of promos is pretty great.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2017, 09:52:46 am »
+2

What is going on in the Envy art?
Asking the important questions. Seriously, I don't understand what I'm seeing.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2017, 09:53:21 am »

This is not about Werewolf. It's about the fact that fan cards have become incredibly good here on fds (not all, obviously). People exchange ideas with each other, inspire each other, learn the pitfalls others already fell into. I know for a fact that my cards, including my personal favs like Road, Werewolf, Necromancer and Sunken City, would suck a lot more if I didn't have the whole fan card sub forum to give me feedback and inspire me. By refusing to even so much as look at fan card threads, Donald X strips himself of the synergy effect we fan card designers enjoy.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2017, 09:59:02 am »
+13

This is not about Werewolf. It's about the fact that fan cards have become incredibly good here on fds (not all, obviously). People exchange ideas with each other, inspire each other, learn the pitfalls others already fell into. I know for a fact that my cards, including my personal favs like Road, Werewolf, Necromancer and Sunken City, would suck a lot more if I didn't have the whole fan card sub forum to give me feedback and inspire me. By refusing to even so much as look at fan card threads, Donald X strips himself of the synergy effect we fan card designers enjoy.

Uhhhhhh Donald has a whole bunch of playtesters, including LastFootnote, who has a bit of experience with fan card making

Also there's the whole idea/copyright thing - content creators should not look at fan content, because then "who came up with the content" comes into question, and it's just a mess.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 26, 2017, 10:00:04 am »

I really like the Werewolf art (for the official card). That dude's chill right now, but you know he's gonna start some trouble when night falls.

Actually, all the art for this batch of promos is pretty great.

Yeah this art is my favorite so far, and I think the cards are as well.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 26, 2017, 10:00:43 am »

If there was ever any doubt that theme doesn't matter much in Dominion: Rats actually mitigate your Plagues  ;)

I love how brutal the Hexes are! The fact that you can't rely on any one defense means strategies around this mechanic are going to be a lot trickier. Perhaps Jack of All Trades can be of service, though I heard he's at risk for being drafted in the next War (and starving of a Famine- though aren't we all)

Either way, it's a true testament to the strength of Dominion that all of these years later, some cards can be released that make Moat a bit less meh without being designed for that purpose. At least I assume they weren't designed for it. I just hope Doom-Attacks don't become the next Mountebank.

I also like that there are only 12 of them because it means that- if Donald X ever wanted it- releasing more Doom cards in later expansions would be more feasible than releasing more Looters (Need to make more Doom cards? Just need to include the 12 Hexes again! Need to make more Looters? Ok, let's clear out enough space for 50 extra cards. Seriously, landscape cards really pack in the value- tell a friend to come on down to Dominion Adventures today!) That said, if we aren't ever getting more Potion cost cards despite only needing like 20 Potions, you could argue more Doom and Fates are probably out of the question as well.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2017, 10:13:09 am »
+1

I'm realizing that the -$1 and -1 Card tokens from Adventurers are States under a different name. It's certainly more practical to have their effects printed on the items in front of you, rather than on the cards that dispense them.

Agreed. My wife and I were discussing this yesterday. I've never been a fan of any tokens other than Coin, VP, & Debt. Or playmats. I just like Dominion being primarily card-centric.

Journey Token would work well as a State. Although, putting the +1 Action, +1 Card, etc. tokens on supply piles would get pretty brutal in a 6 player game if those tokens were instead State cards. I hope you have a big table so you can lay them next to the piles! But there would be something kinda pleasing about putting a -1 Card State card on your deck instead of a token. The downside being that "Every other player puts their -1 Card State Card" is really clunky wording.

Or would the wording technically have been "Every other player takes -1 Card if they do not already have -1 Card"? I guess instead of calling it "-1 Card", it would've had a thematic name like the other States anyway.

blaisepascal

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2017, 10:19:10 am »
+1

I'm realizing that the -$1 and -1 Card tokens from Adventurers are States under a different name. It's certainly more practical to have their effects printed on the items in front of you, rather than on the cards that dispense them.

Agreed. My wife and I were discussing this yesterday. I've never been a fan of any tokens other than Coin, VP, & Debt. Or playmats. I just like Dominion being primarily card-centric.

So basically, not a fan of the Adventures tokens?

Adventures and Empires both had tokens, but so far I've not seen anything token-like in Nocturn. Is Nocturn a pure card (& card-shaped thing) expansion? That might help mitigate my storage problems...

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2017, 10:26:21 am »
+1

Uhhhhhh Donald has a whole bunch of playtesters, including LastFootnote, who has a bit of experience with fan card making

Also there's the whole idea/copyright thing - content creators should not look at fan content, because then "who came up with the content" comes into question, and it's just a mess.

Okay, a challenge: Look through the fan card threads here and tell me there's not a single fan card that you feel you'd rather have had in the game than one specific official card. I doubt you'll be able to do that.

And it's not like I wasn't willing to freely give away any and all of my cards and many people here feel the same. Somehow, games like Smallworld have produced fan generated content en masse without any problem, so this legal reservation seems not at all convincing to me, especially if the ideas in question are offered for free.

SuperHans

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2017, 10:28:26 am »
+5

Okay, a challenge: Look through the fan card threads here and tell me there's not a single fan card that you feel you'd rather have had in the game than one specific official card. I doubt you'll be able to do that.

And it's not like I wasn't willing to freely give away any and all of my cards and many people here feel the same. Somehow, games like Smallworld have produced fan generated content en masse without any problem, so this legal reservation seems not at all convincing to me, especially if the ideas in question are offered for free.
No one is stopping anyone from playing with any of the fan cards, including your fan cards. We all know where to find them.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2017, 10:39:32 am »
+17

Hey Asper and other people literally posting fan cards in here, many people on these forums enjoy Preview threads when new expansions come out, so maybe try not to make them suck for the person who brings them to us.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2017, 10:41:03 am »
+2

Also, there's the village blacksmith who turns into a werewolf at night.

Yeahhhh, I would not advise visiting the Nocturne Villages if you don't know where you're going. One of them is quite #Blessed, but I hear the other two are Cursed or Haunted with all kinds of spirits, Werewolves, a Fool who's Gold you may or may not have stolen once or twice in the past- oh! and have I mentioned the Devil worshipers yet??

Seaside does have that one bizarre village that doesn't call itself a village/town (freaks), and depending on your feelings towards Dominion-Land's Immigration policy, you may not like Hinterland's village, but otherwise I think you'd be better off taking your chances with any other village. I hear Prosperity's has a very low unemployment rate, and if you travel to the heart of the Empire, you can buy an entire City Quarter on Credit with 0% interest, and the debt cancels out when you're dead! They won't even reposes your Estates or anything!! (good to know that Dominion Bankers are not immune to decisions that inevitably lead to housing crises and recessions).

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2017, 10:59:09 am »
+1

Wow.  Werewolf looks awesome! The art and the card itself.  And man, that Cursed village art is a thing of beauty. 

Skulk is gonna make some exciting openings.  You can do skulk and maybe start an encampment thing early! ( I guess wedding already enables that)

I too am confused by the Envy art....but whatever.

So pumped for new cards! This is so exciting.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 26, 2017, 11:09:51 am »
+2

So basically, not a fan of the Adventures tokens?

Yup! Also Embargo Tokens. I just don't like the components. The actual mechanics are really fun. We don't even use the playmats irl. I don't want to have to dig through my boxes/storage solution for a piece of cardboard every time one specific card comes out on the table. I mean, Donald X made the right call from a design perspective on the playmats for user friendliness reasons- no doubt about it. They just aren't for me. And I wish the Adventures tokens had a more card-centric way of doing things. But that's just because I'm a card junky. Every non-card thing included gets in the way of my irrational need to own many, many different pretty cards.

The reason I'm ok with the 3 main metal tokens is because they have an additive quality to them that makes them more convenient than cards. For instance, if you're gonna design a mechanic around VP's that don't clog your deck, you have three options as far as I can tell: have players write down the running tally on a piece of paper (Let's call this the Milton Bradley method- which is the worst possible method), have a ton of extra cards that say "+1VP" on them that people set aside when gained, or have them be tokens. With cards, I have to pick up the stack and flip through to count how many I have. With tokens I can just glance down at them. So those make sense. Adventures Tokens though, don't save me time, just physical table space. Taking an Adventures token probably takes just as long as taking a State. So yeah, States are cool. End of rant  :P
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 21 queries.