Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13  All

Author Topic: Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village  (Read 122997 times)

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village
« on: October 26, 2017, 03:00:04 am »
+33

Your punishment today: a preview. See it's all about your own perspective on it.

Nocturne has Hexes. Hexes are another 12-card deck of landscape-style instructions. These ones are bad though. You get an effect like "each other player receives the next Hex," and then you turn over just one Hex, just one okay, and they all get that Hex. Of course sometimes you Hex yourself instead.

Some examples. Greed puts a Copper on your deck; War trashes something that wasn't great but probably wasn't worthless; and Envy makes you Envious. Okay so what's that then. Envious makes your Silvers and Golds suck for one turn (well one Buy phase, because you can play Treasures ahead of your Buy phase with e.g. Storyteller, and not necessarily just one, because you can get another Buy phase with e.g. Villa - this game is full of edge cases). Envious is a State, a way of tracking special information about players. It sits in front of you and then it doesn't. It's too hard to remember without the card there to remind you. So there's a card, hooray.

Werewolf is an Action-Night card. During the day he's just a Smithy, but at Night, he shows his vicious side. In your Action phase you can play Werewolf and draw 3 cards; in your Night phase you can play Werewolf and Hex everyone. Okay? It doesn't feel tricky to me but I am making sure here. As with Boons, a word on the card needs to tell you to shuffle up the Hexes, and that word is Doom. That makes Werewolf an Action - Night - Attack - Doom card. The Courtiers all like Dame Josephine, but they like Werewolves too.

Skulk costs $4, is all upside, and comes with a Gold, wait what? Somehow, having a Skulk in your deck weighs down the Gold sufficiently to make this all okay.

Cursed Village Hexes you when you gain it. Maybe you will get lucky there and just have to discard some cards or something. But probably it will hurt; that's the way it goes when your village is cursed. Once you have it it's a Village with "draw to 6" instead of +1 Card; that's pretty spiffy, but it has some quirks to learn about the hard way.

I only showed off three hexes, but the online version... you're way ahead of me. Stef has been getting the cards up fast; they will probably be playable online within half an hour.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Orange
  • 2012 WBC Champion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #4: Werewolf, Skulk, Cursed Village
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2017, 03:04:54 am »
+1

Werewolf as Action - Night is cool.  Seems like it may be a strong 5-cost card.

SevenSpirits

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: SevenSpirits
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 03:05:47 am »
+6

What's the intended way to track multiple players being envious? I'm sort of confused about the idea of giving a state represented by a physical card to several people. Or does only one opponent end up envious?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 03:07:25 am by SevenSpirits »
How to explain? How to describe? Even the omniscient viewpoint quails.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 03:09:23 am »
+6

Cursed Village has amazing art.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 03:10:45 am »
+10

What's the intended way to track multiple players being envious? I'm sort of confused about the idea of giving a state represented by a physical card to several people. Or does only one opponent end up envious?
There are 6 copies of Envious. They have Deluded on the back.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 03:12:41 am »

Cursed Village has amazing art.

My thoughts exactly

dz

• Conspirator
  • Shuffle iT Username: DZ
  • Respect: +342
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 03:12:51 am »
+2

please tell me you named 5 other hexes after the 7 deadly sins (there's already greed and envy)

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 03:13:10 am »
+2

The Cursed Village stood strong against the Militia, but no one there has dogs so I'm not going...
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2017, 03:14:53 am »
+2

please tell me you named 5 other hexes after the 7 deadly sins (there's already greed and envy)
The names tried to fit with the abilities, rather than vice-versa. So no.

They're up online already.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 03:22:26 am »
+3

The names tried to fit with the abilities, rather than vice-versa. So no.

RBCI will fix this.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Orange

• 2012 WBC Champion
  • 2012 WBC Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2017, 03:31:32 am »
+4

After one play, I think the Hexes are more bad than the Boons are good.

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2017, 04:05:17 am »
+18

Other hexes:
Plague: Gain a curse to your hand.
Locusts: Trash the top card of your deck. If it's a Copper or Estate, get a Curse. Otherwise , gain a cheaper card that shares a type with it.
Bad omens: Put your deck into your discard pile. Look through it and put 2 Coppers from it onto your deck (or reveal you can't).
Haunting: If you have at least 4 cards in hand, put one of them onto your deck.
Poverty: Discard down to 3 cards in hand.
Misery: If it's your first Misery this game, take Miserable. Otherwise, flip it over to Twice Miserable.(Miserable: -2vps, Twice Miserable: -4vps )
Famine: Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck. Discard the Actions. Shuffle the rest into your deck.
Fear: If you have at least 5 cards in hand, discard an Action or Treasure (or reveal you can't).
Delusion: If you don't have Deluded or Envious, take Deluded.(Deluded:At the start of your Buy phase,return this and you can't buy actions this turn)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 07:16:34 am by Ethan »

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 04:05:27 am »
+3

In fact, they are pretty brutal. Since they are random and vary wildly in their effect, there is no defense strategy that works for all of them (except for stuff like Lighthouse or Champion). Some of them even counter defenses actively, like War vs Watchtower. Werewolve is also very strong, as its draw helps you to play even more werewolves during night. Skulk enables early purchase of werewolves by its Gold, so both in combination are tough to crack as well.

Brace yourself for long and wonky games when they are in the kingdom.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 04:07:59 am by BBL »

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2017
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2017, 04:10:31 am »
+3

Other hexes:

Misery: If it's your first Misery this game, take Miserable. Otherwise, flip it over to Twice Miserable.(Miserable: -2vps)

Is Twice Miserable -4 VP?

Also why are we using spoiler tags? We're all here for previews.

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2017, 04:15:21 am »

Is Twice Miserable -4 VP?
yes, tested it just now
Also why are we using spoiler tags? We're all here for previews.
well, just to follow Gazbag in yesterday's preview, maybe he want to keep some mystica.

Violet CLM

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +444
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2017, 04:24:59 am »
+2

I'm realizing that the -$1 and -1 Card tokens from Adventurers are States under a different name. It's certainly more practical to have their effects printed on the items in front of you, rather than on the cards that dispense them.

Minotaur

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2017, 04:48:10 am »
+4

Envious makes your Silvers and Golds suck for one turn (well one Buy phase, because you can play Treasures ahead of your Buy phase with e.g. Storyteller, and not necessarily just one, because you can get another Buy phase with e.g. Villa - this game is full of edge cases).

I can accept that Envious doesn't trigger until your Buy phase, but once it triggers, isn't it persistent for "this turn", and your turn doesn't end just because you go to an Action phase?  Does Envious really lose track of what turn it is if you jump to another Action phase?  Or is there a time machine where you go back to the time in the turn to when you hadn't triggered Envious yet?  And Envious keeps track of all of this Dr. Who stuff but I still can't Summon a Nomad Camp?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2017, 04:48:16 am »
+2

Fortresses protect you against War, and Faithful Hounds protect you against Fear and Poverty.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +971
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2017, 04:50:29 am »

Fortresses protect you against War, and Faithful Hounds protect you against Fear and Poverty.

Faithful Hounds are also good with War
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 04:55:13 am »

Envious makes your Silvers and Golds suck for one turn (well one Buy phase, because you can play Treasures ahead of your Buy phase with e.g. Storyteller, and not necessarily just one, because you can get another Buy phase with e.g. Villa - this game is full of edge cases).

I can accept that Envious doesn't trigger until your Buy phase, but once it triggers, isn't it persistent for "this turn", and your turn doesn't end just because you go to an Action phase?  Does Envious really lose track of what turn it is if you jump to another Action phase?  Or is there a time machine where you go back to the time in the turn to when you hadn't triggered Envious yet?  And Envious keeps track of all of this Dr. Who stuff but I still can't Summon a Nomad Camp?

With Villa there can be 2 Buy phases in which you're Envious and not just the usual 1.

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2017, 05:00:06 am »
+1

Once it triggers, it is in fact persistent for "this turn," and normally that will only include the Buy phase it triggered in, but it can include multiple Buy phases (and multiple Action phases, though it's less likely to matter there but can).

Envious makes your Silvers and Golds suck for one turn (this is inaccurate in some ways and would require way too lengthy of an explanation of edge cases to want to go into, and it turns out the ones I mentioned were already too much).

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2017, 05:00:13 am »
+5

After two plays, I think this is a significant understatement.

I kinda like the Boons, they were random but not usually exceptionally powerful.  The Hexes are mostly weaker versions of other attacks, but not always.  Skulk, because it comes with a Gold, is just killer--you often will want to buy it just for the $4 Gold, Hexes are a bonus.

As an opponent said when his Province was hit by Locusts: Saboteur rides again!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Bowi

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2017, 05:04:17 am »
+3

Werewolf might be my favorite card so far. Not only does it make for some interesting decisions, but it also works well for both money and engine.

Money: Smithy variant that can't be drawn dead, so you can grab a few more than usual.

Engine: The power of this card in engines is obvious. It's extra sweet to be able to do something with your excess draw cards on turns where you've either already drawn the deck or have enough for your buy.

Obviously most boards are engine boards. I just like to see money get thrown a bone from time to time.

Emeric

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: Emeric
  • Respect: +212
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2017, 05:18:50 am »
+1

In a two players game, if I launch my werewolf during the night against my opponent who play a lighthouse turn before, do we need to reveal the following hex or not ?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 05:23:49 am by Emeric »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2017, 05:25:37 am »
+2

In a two players game, if I launch my werewolf during the night against my opponent who play a lighthouse turn before, do we need to reveal the following hex or not ?
Technically yes, you turn it over even though it doesn't do anything.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 21 queries.