Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Bonus Preview #3: Fool  (Read 34555 times)

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10719
    • View Profile
Bonus Preview #3: Fool
« on: October 25, 2017, 08:00:04 am »
+21

Disclaimer: To make any sense of this bonus preview, make sure you've read today's main previews: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=17777.0

Who’s that schlemiel that’s always getting lost in the woods? It’s today’s bonus preview, Fool. There’s a lot to unpack here, so let’s start at the bottom.

Lost in the Woods is a new kind of card-shaped thing, a State! You can think of it like a status effect. While it’s in front of you, at the start of each of your turns, you may discard a card to receive a Boon. Usually that’s a pretty good deal. But there’s only one copy of Lost in the Woods, so you might have to take it from somebody else.

That’s where Fool comes in. If you already have Lost in the Woods, Fool does nothing. He’s lost in the woods, don’t you know! Maybe you can at least discard him for a Boon. Anyway. If you don’t have Lost in the Woods, then Fool goes on a little adventure. He bumbles around, getting three random Boons that you can receive in any order. For instance, if you drew the Boons that Donald X. previewed today (The Sea’s Gift, The Sun’s Gift, and The Swamp’s Gift), you might choose to first gain a Will-o’-Wisp, then look at the top 4 cards of your deck and discard/reorder them, then draw whichever one you put back on top! Not bad for a $3 card. Then you take Lost in the Woods, and your Fools are useless until somebody else plays one. At least you get that bonus every turn.

Finally, in games that use Fool, everybody starts with a Lucky Coin. It’s like a Copper that gains Silvers! It can really speed up your deck early on. And later if you decide you have enough Silver, maybe you can remodel Lucky Coin into a Gold or something. Or trash it. Or just stop playing it. The possibilities are (not actually) endless.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Bonus Preview #3: Fool
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 08:01:54 am »

Oh man State cards too? Dang that's a lot of mechanics.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:03:16 am »

Whaaaa

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2107
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:25:58 am »

Really excited about what other States there might be.

I posted a card called "Fool" in the fan cards forum more than 5 years ago (before Dark Ages came out); it had one copy and went between players. I never thought I'd actually see a hot potato card in an official set.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 08:33:46 am »

Wow, the product info blurb didn't even say anything about States! I wonder how many there are? Looks like there might not be room for a traveller, though, especially since Fool isn't one. These cards are cool enough.

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 08:46:23 am »
+24

It's pretty fun to be Lost in the Woods with your Faithful Hound.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 08:51:20 am »
+3

Glad to see only one person can have a state at a time. I wasn't ready to kill Edicts, too ^^
Although, how interesting are they now that states exist?  :-\

I can really say that Heirlooms are my favourite mechanic from Nocturne so far. I usually hate to parrot when people praise something, because I'm a grumpy hermit and stuff, but the mechanic is very cleverly, cleanly implemented. The Heirlooms themselves haven't been a dissapointment either.

Also, if HiG was still the German publisher, man would they be happy over this card. They could easily translate it as their company name and nobody would even know it was Fool in English.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 09:11:24 am »

I'm getting the impression that much like Dark Ages' actual theme was combos and Guilds' actual theme was bald people, this set's actual theme is making good players win less with stuff like Fool and Imp and Boons in general.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 09:14:28 am »

I'm getting the impression that much like Dark Ages' actual theme was combos and Guilds' actual theme was bald people, this set's actual theme is making good players win less with stuff like Fool and Imp and Boons in general.

You mean because they are luck driven? I actually perceive that to be the case for Boons, and I guess Fool is weirdly political in a way, but I don't see Imp being bad-player-friendly at all.

sorawotobu

• Spy
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 09:18:42 am »

You mean because they are luck driven? I actually perceive that to be the case for Boons, and I guess Fool is weirdly political in a way, but I don't see Imp being bad-player-friendly at all.

The difference between drawing Imp at the top of your shuffle vs at the bottom is much greater than with other Lab effects, even Hunting Party.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2017, 09:19:41 am »
+12

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this expansion may not be the best to introduce Dominion to a newbie. We’ve come a long way since 2008.
-The Compulsive Completist

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:10 am »

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this expansion may not be the best to introduce Dominion to a newbie. We’ve come a long way since 2008.

Yeah, at first with the night cards it looked pretty simple. A new game phase, that's easy to explain. Then there were heirlooms, which might be a bit complicated, but mostly for the person doing setup. But Boons and States, yeah that'll even make experienced players' heads hurt.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2017, 09:30:14 am »

Hey, Lucky Coin provides fuel for Looks Pooka and stuff (dangit auto-correct, Pooka is a word apparently). It's not too shabby, and it doesn't make me feel awful spending it in the opening like Cursed Gold.

How likely is it to get a $5 on the second shuffle with Silver/Silver/Silver with Lucky Coin?

It's neat that getting the three Boons off Fool isn't conditional on stealing Lost in the Woods from another player. You can get the effect from getting Lost in the Woods by taking it from limbo as well. This is as opposed to Lurker, where playing the first one sets up gains for your opponent's Lurker.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:26:26 am by markusin »

benedettosoxfan

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: benedettosoxfan
  • Respect: +131
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 10:23:01 am »

Wow. There is so much going on with this game already. Like there is sooooooo much going on. And we still have 2 new concepts to go over this week. Is it possible that there's "too" much going on with Nocturne? It seems like this easily could have been two entire expansions instead of one. I'm not complaining and it's gonna be crazy figuring out how to properly conquer these new concepts, but the amount of brand new complex mechanics is huge. Considering it's the 11th expansion and most of us have the whole dominion thing down by now, I greatly accept this new challenges. But yeah a new player probably won't be messing around with nocturne for a long time.

Heirlooms are awesome. Probably the thing I'm most excited for and game warping in the best way possible.

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 10:35:24 am »

How do states work with Possession? If I possess my opponent and play Fool, who 'receives' the Boons?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 10:43:06 am »
+1

How do states work with Possession? If I possess my opponent and play Fool, who 'receives' the Boons?

Your opponent does, assuming they didn't already have Lost in the Woods.

Ethan

• Bishop
  • Respect: +181
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 10:46:01 am »

wow, so much mechanics, maybe a little too much, but at least Fool Lost in the Wood is quite interesting!

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2017, 10:47:21 am »
+2

Wow. There is so much going on with this game already. Like there is sooooooo much going on. And we still have 2 new concepts to go over this week. Is it possible that there's "too" much going on with Nocturne? It seems like this easily could have been two entire expansions instead of one. I'm not complaining and it's gonna be crazy figuring out how to properly conquer these new concepts, but the amount of brand new complex mechanics is huge. Considering it's the 11th expansion and most of us have the whole dominion thing down by now, I greatly accept this new challenges. But yeah a new player probably won't be messing around with nocturne for a long time.

Really there's only one "new concept" left, since the fifth mechanic in the blurb is "cards that you can only get from other cards", which not only isn't new to Nocturne, but you've already seen a bunch of them this week (Imp, Ghost, Will-o'-Wisp).

I think the Nocturne mechanics are pretty easy for new players. And they can certainly make for some terse cards. You may have noticed that out of all the new stuff shown so far, only Idol needs to use the smaller font.

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2017, 10:58:35 am »

How many States are there? Do they all work the same way? (It only applies to one player, who keeps it until something says otherwise. And there's one of each.)

SuperHans

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: SuperHans
  • Respect: +233
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2017, 11:08:59 am »
+1

This is one of the most thematic cards yet. Everything shown so far just seems like a lot of fun. I'm looking forward to this set more than any other set before I think.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2017, 11:13:27 am »
+21

Jeebus

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jeebus
  • Respect: +1635
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2017, 11:25:06 am »
+5

How many States are there? Do they all work the same way?

50 and no: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_alcohol_laws_of_the_United_States

Where I am, the United States of Mexico, there are actually 31.

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2017, 11:28:13 am »

How many States are there? Do they all work the same way? (It only applies to one player, who keeps it until something says otherwise. And there's one of each.)

I mean, I understand your curiosity, but unfortunately you'll have to wait until the set releases to know the answers.

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2017, 11:49:27 am »
+6

I mean, I understand your curiosity, but unfortunately you'll have to wait until the set releases to know the answers.

Also, what are all the other cards in Nocturne?

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2017, 11:59:18 am »
+4

Also, what are all the other cards in Nocturne?

Man, that's already public knowledge, for some values of "all" and "cards".

Bard, Changeling, Cobbler, Conclave, Cursed Village, Den of Sin, Exorcist, Guardian, Leprechaun, Monastery, Necromancer, Night Watchman, Pixie, Sacred Grove, Secret Cave, Skulk, Tormentor, Tracker, Tragic Hero, Vampire, and Werewolf.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 20 queries.