Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Five or six players?  (Read 12304 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
Re: Five or six players?
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 01:31:31 pm »

To me, and I know I'm not alone, two-player games can be kind of bland, too short and mostly uninteresting. Besides, attacks (which I really love) become too weak in most cases. Multi-player games fix these problems for me and my usual opponents. I know this is subjective, but even though I liked it and you made me smile, your reply wasn't particularly helpful. :)
Most attacks are about the same strength level at any player count. The exceptions tend to be cards like Jester and Pirate Ship where you can gain something from the attack.

I respectfully disagree. In games were your opponents have one attack card each, facing one of those every round is generally much better than facing five of them, which I’ve seen plenty of times with Torturer, Witch, and the like. Some attacks don’t hurt when you’re attacked several times (e.a. Militia), and some actually help you (e.a. Margrave), but most are bad when you’re attacked several times a turn, and I think that’s how it should be. Of course, this is just my humble opinion, and you may disagree with me. :-)

Agreed. Even with something like Militia, a 4 player games greatly increases the chances that you will have a 3 card hand every turn compared to a 2 player game. At least near the beginning of the game, before your opponent has built up an engine that can play Militia every turn. And other than discard attacks, pretty much all the other attacks are worse when you have multiple per turn compared to 1 per turn.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 01:34:37 pm »

To me, and I know I'm not alone, two-player games can be kind of bland, too short and mostly uninteresting. Besides, attacks (which I really love) become too weak in most cases. Multi-player games fix these problems for me and my usual opponents. I know this is subjective, but even though I liked it and you made me smile, your reply wasn't particularly helpful. :)
Most attacks are about the same strength level at any player count. The exceptions tend to be cards like Jester and Pirate Ship where you can gain something from the attack.

I respectfully disagree. In games were your opponents have one attack card each, facing one of those every round is generally much better than facing five of them, which I’ve seen plenty of times with Torturer, Witch, and the like. Some attacks don’t hurt when you’re attacked several times (e.a. Militia), and some actually help you (e.a. Margrave), but most are bad when you’re attacked several times a turn, and I think that’s how it should be. Of course, this is just my humble opinion, and you may disagree with me. :-)

Agreed. Even with something like Militia, a 4 player games greatly increases the chances that you will have a 3 card hand every turn compared to a 2 player game. At least near the beginning of the game, before your opponent has built up an engine that can play Militia every turn. And other than discard attacks, pretty much all the other attacks are worse when you have multiple per turn compared to 1 per turn.

I think attacks are weaker in multiplayer. In a 3 player game where the other two players are going to play a militia every turn, your own militia is useless. Similarly with junkers, if the other two players play witch more often than you, it's not as devastating as it is in a two player game since they also junk each other.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2018, 01:39:48 pm »
+1

I think attacks are weaker in multiplayer. In a 3 player game where the other two players are going to play a militia every turn, your own militia is useless. Similarly with junkers, if the other two players play witch more often than you, it's not as devastating as it is in a two player game since they also junk each other.

But you're talking about how good it is to get an attack of your own, whereas I and the previous posts were talking about how much they hurt you when others are playing them. Yes, with Militia if each opponent is playing a Militia every turn, then no reason to get one of your own. But it still hurts you more than you have 2 opponents playing a Militia than if only one was (until the point where that one opponent can consistently play one every turn).

So you end up with something of a paradox... the attack hurts more with more players, yet it's a weaker option to get one yourself with more players.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.738 seconds with 20 queries.