Archive > Dominion FAQ

Five or six players?

(1/6) > >>

Oyvind:
The 2nd edition Big Box says that for a five- or six-player game, you should use 80 Coppers, 70 Silver and 48 Gold. As far as I know, it doesn't say anything about Potion and Platinum. I therefore imagine that the rules for these are unchanged in second edition Dominion:

80 Copper, 70 Silver, 48 Gold, 32 Potion, 24 Platinum, 12 Colony

So my question is, have I understood these setups correctly?

Awaclus:
Well, I think if you're going to play a 5+ player game of Dominion, you're going to have about as much fun regardless of whether or not your setup is correct.

Oyvind:

--- Quote from: Awaclus on October 25, 2017, 07:33:19 am ---Well, I think if you're going to play a 5+ player game of Dominion, you're going to have about as much fun regardless of whether or not your setup is correct.

--- End quote ---

Funny reply, but I constantly play five or six player games, because I occasionally play with rather large groups. My favorite player count is three, but four, five or even six players makes for more interesting games than two-player games, IMHO.

Sure, they're longer and there is considerable downtime at really big player counts, but I (and the different groups of players I usually play with) don't mind, as we play mainly as part of socializing. It's more fun to see lots of different takes on how to solve that particular kingdom and how these strategies affect the others.

To me, and I know I'm not alone, two-player games can be kind of bland, too short and mostly uninteresting. Besides, attacks (which I really love) become too weak in most cases. Multi-player games fix these problems for me and my usual opponents. I know this is subjective, but even though I liked it and you made me smile, your reply wasn't particularly helpful. :)

J Reggie:
I believe you don't have to change anything except Copper, Silver, Gold, and Province. I've never heard of needing 32 Potions or 24 Platina.

And that wasn't a particularly helpful comment. Awaclus' mockery of multi-player can be annoying at best, but here it's just downright rude. Sorry Awaclus.

Chris is me:
I don’t think there’s a rule saying to double Potions or Platinums, or to extend the Colony pile the way the Province pile is extended. That said, if you’re going to play 5 or 6 player, it’s probably best if you do that, so I would proceed as you have been.

I would also strongly consider doing multiple 3 player games vs a 6 player game. If you have a big enough table, you can play near each other and still socialize. I get the appeal of that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version