Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Author Topic: Previews #3: Blessed Village, Idol, Druid  (Read 61240 times)

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
Re: Previews #3: Blessed Village, Idol, Druid
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 04:02:33 am »
+2

Funny, Boons work how I originally speculated Events would, random from deck. Nocturne has so many differently named things!

Also, the previews are already online?? This is dangerous for 1AM on a work night.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2109
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2017, 04:06:00 am »
+7

Druid is basically 220 different cards in 1; and I thought Events and Landmarks were space efficient

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2017, 05:10:03 am »
+4

Looking forward for my first Goons Boons game.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2017, 05:51:41 am »
+1

I think it is unsafe to say that tomorrow's preview brings us Doom and Hexes.
-The Compulsive Completist

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
  • Respect: +639
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2017, 06:00:48 am »
+2

Looking forward for my first Goons Boons game.
Setup: Set aside the top 3 Goons face up.
Yep, the top Goons card has a picture of 3 Goons on it so that'll do nicely.

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2017, 06:06:02 am »

I am not sure what to make of these cards. At fist glance they look rather weak. A vanilla village with a random On Gain effect that can even be detrimental (like the Silver gain) for $4? Sure, if you really need the village, but otherwise? Druid should be ok for $2 (and can be good, depending on the boon setup), but Idol does not really gain much from the boons either. As a curser, it should be worth $5, but I wonder, if it would be any worse (or even better?) without the boons.

To make a random blackbox worth going for, there needs to be the chance that fo find something amazing. I do not see anything like it in the list of boons, so I am wondering how popular these cards will be. Am I overlooking something?

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2017, 06:09:17 am »
+2

$4 villages usually have a rather minor effect in addition to the village effect. That's because, on boards where you need villages, you're usually happy to pay $4 for the village effect anyway.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2017, 06:36:35 am »
+1

$4 villages usually have a rather minor effect in addition to the village effect. That's because, on boards where you need villages, you're usually happy to pay $4 for the village effect anyway.

Exactly. When you compare Blessed Village to Walled Village or Farming Village, it doesn't look so bad after all.

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2017, 06:39:10 am »
+2

Sure, but +buy/trash for +2/Fortress/farming village every turn occur to me being much stronger than a single On Gain effect of disputable helpfulness. It feels like you pay +1$ more, not for, but despite the boon. Anyway, they can't all be the greatest villages ever etc, etc.

Having played a game now, I also see the point of the mechanic. It exists to make $2 exciting. And it works! Druid in particular is a amazing card, given the right circumstances. My very first kingdom contained Fool's Gold, Courtyard and Cursed Gold, so the additional buys were very welcome. Whisp was also great here.

On a general note, I find it astonishing how Nocturne makes all kingdoms better. At the beginning, I thought ShuffleIt used curated kingdoms to show off cool combos and interactions. Having played multiple games by now, I realize that it is Nocturne as a set which is so strong that it creates exciting tricks in almost any kingdom. I complained about the power creep of Empires in the past and Nocturne is the exact opposite. It really is an enabler expansion that makes the smaller cards shine too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 06:40:13 am by BBL »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2017, 07:20:56 am »
+5

Blessed Village seems to be pretty solid from the few games I played with it earlier.

If you get the trashing boon or the workshop boon, you basically gain an entire turn worth of tempo for free (1/6 odds to get that)
If you get the Wisp, the Wisp is pretty much comparable to Wishing Well so it's pretty helpful (1/12 odds to get that; 1/4 to get that or better)
If you get any of the +1 card or +$1 boons or the cartographer boon or the dungeon boon, it helps you hit $5 next turn which you can utilize to gain a tactical advantage in the early game (1/2 odds to get that; 3/4 to get that or better)
Then there's the Silver gain, which can be situationally good, bad, or anything in between, the Gold gain, which probably doesn't do anything most of the time but if you have three dead cards in your hand it's pretty good, and the topdecking ability which I don't know how to evaluate because I never got it.

All in all, I think this compares pretty favorably with Plaza and Mining Village and pretty unfavorably with Wandering Minstrel and Port. It's not that the card itself has that strong of an effect, but getting just a small advantage just once in the early game for free with an engine component you'd want to buy anyway can make the difference between wasting a turn not really doing anything and buying a $5 Action, and that $5 Action vs. not really anything in your deck over the course of the entire game will be the reason why Blessed Village is a decently strong card.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

grrgrrgrr

• Explorer
  • Respect: +415
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 07:29:53 am »
+2

Mmm, let's predict the next previews.

The bonus preview will show us a Heirloom that is also a Fate card.

Tomorrow's preview will be about Hexes, which are landscape cards with a purple border which will slightly cripple the ones getting them.

EDIT: Wow I failed hard with the bonus preview prediction.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 10:49:09 am by grrgrrgrr »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2017, 07:30:32 am »

As for the other cards, you can sometimes get three garbage boons for Druid and then it sucks unless you need the +buy, but most of the time they seem to be good enough that you buy them, but not good enough that they completely warp the game.

The Boon mechanic itself reminds me a lot of some of Hearthstone's mechanics (mostly Adapt) that are super fun, but can be pretty frustrating sometimes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2017, 07:33:03 am »

So if Druid and eg Blessed village are out, then the Boon pile for Blessed village only has 9 and it can’t access the set aside ones?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2017, 07:37:48 am »

So if Druid and eg Blessed village are out, then the Boon pile for Blessed village only has 9 and it can’t access the set aside ones?

Yeah.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2017, 07:55:21 am »
+1

As for the other cards, you can sometimes get three garbage boons for Druid and then it sucks unless you need the +buy, but most of the time they seem to be good enough that you buy them, but not good enough that they completely warp the game.

The Boon mechanic itself reminds me a lot of some of Hearthstone's mechanics (mostly Adapt) that are super fun, but can be pretty frustrating sometimes.

Druid is like Adapt, and Blessed Village is like Spare Parts.

Druid has +buy, so it's basically going to be good whenever Herbalist and Peasant itself are good at the very least. It can also be a Workshop on demand sometimes, or a Candlesticks Maker, or...it's cool.

Blessed Village. In games without Druid or other Boon cards, you might not get to the bottom of the Boon pile. I like that nice touch of Love Letter style uncertainty. Some of the Boons make Blessed Village feel a bit like Ghost Town, say if you get the Fishing Village effect for next turn. That's cool because I'm going to miss Ghost Town until it comes back briefly for the weekend (previews only include the previewed cards of today and yesterday).

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2017, 07:59:34 am »
+1

Seems funny that Blessed village lets you save the boon for next turn and idol doesn’t.

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 08:19:14 am »
+1

[ (previews only include the previewed cards of today and yesterday).

That's not correct. There are 2 cards from the day itself and 2 cards from all previous days.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2017, 08:21:35 am »

[ (previews only include the previewed cards of today and yesterday).

That's not correct. There are 2 cards from the day itself and 2 cards from all previous days.

Thanks for the clarification.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2017, 08:23:08 am »
+3

Can we just take a moment to appreciate how good Druid's art is? Grant Hansen really pulled through!

And I quite like Idol's art.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2017, 08:38:23 am »

Seems funny that Blessed village lets you save the boon for next turn and idol doesn’t.
BV's is on-gain and Idol's on-play, which makes a difference. A lot of boons don't work if you can only get them once you've started buying cards.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2017, 08:42:27 am »

Funny. Druid's a bit similar to my Summoner, in that it does one of several effects from a set of sideways-cards randomly determined each game. The fact that Boons are all worth about the same, are received randomly and aren't bought makes them different to my Spells in general, but for this particular card it's quite some similarity. I recall making it two Spells instead of three because it was a bit overwhelming otherwise, but then I didn't do it because of Summoner specifically. Current number of cards I'll have to kill for redundancy with Nocturne: 2

NZacharias

• Alchemist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2017, 09:04:04 am »

A lot of us don't have the boons memorized. Can we confirm what boons are set aside (akin to how we confirm our starting hand)? After all the log tells us what boons are set aside, but not what they do.

markus

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: markus
  • Respect: +434
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2017, 09:21:20 am »
+3

You can right-click the Boons in the log. There's going to be an update in which right-clicking Druid also brings up the 3 images.

Gazbag

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gazbag
  • Respect: +1003
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2017, 09:24:50 am »

A lot of us don't have the boons memorized. Can we confirm what boons are set aside (akin to how we confirm our starting hand)? After all the log tells us what boons are set aside, but not what they do.
Right clicking the set aside Boons should show what they do.

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2017, 09:25:58 am »
+2

Hmm. Druid looks awesome, but am I the only person wary that the mechanic of receiving random Boons adds a hefty dose of extra randomness and luck to a game that currently has about the right amount in most respects, maybe sometimes a little too much?

So this site is Dominion strategy; how on earth does one incorporate Boons into a strategy?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 21 queries.