Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Bonus Preview #1: Crypt  (Read 32495 times)

Zaphod

• Thief
  • Do you know where your towel is?
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
Re: Bonus Preview #1: Crypt
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 03:18:53 pm »
+1

It should be useful in a set with any card that functions better with a particular treasure card, like Alchemist or Merchant.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 03:51:18 pm »

It's a way to protect Platinum and other expensive treasures from Bandit attacks.

Even without attacks, a $5 Treasure Scheme is more attractive than it would be with just Gold and below.
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

Minotaur

• Margrave
  • Respect: +3960
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 03:57:56 pm »
+1

This card will really hate being drawn with Curses, Ruins, and Victory cards.  Slogs, junk attacks, and Militias will hurt.

I wonder if drawing your deck and then setting aside two or three Crypts loaded with Gold+Silver will be viable often.  With a little +Buy and enough treasure and draw, you could get 2-3 provinces now and then one every turn.  It sounds kewl, but can you actually pull it off fast enough to win over other strategies?  Or maybe two Provinces now + a Duchy every turn will suffice?  Or if you're behind, 3-4 Duchies now and a Province or Duchy every turn?
Storyteller/Crown is Donald's Vietnam Watergate.  Alchemy is Donald's Vietnam.  Scout is the time Donald choked on a pretzel.

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +290
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 04:11:56 pm »

It's probably a bad strategy, but if you Bonfire your Crypt, can you keep all your set aside Treasure out of play forever?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:13:39 pm by ephesos »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 04:14:30 pm »
+3

It's probably a bad strategy, but if you Bonfire your Crypt, can you keep all your set aside Treasure out of play forever?

You can’t Bonfire Crypt as the Night phase occurs after the Buy phase (I guess you can Bonfire it in future turns?)

Additionally, the effect is not contingent on the card remaining in play, so Bonfiring the Night card will have no effect.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12848
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 04:18:07 pm »

If it worked though, it would be an excellent strategy (assuming you get there before you've already trashed almost all of your Treasures with Bonfire).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 04:21:01 pm »

You can’t Bonfire Crypt as the Night phase occurs after the Buy phase (I guess you can Bonfire it in future turns?)

Additionally, the effect is not contingent on the card remaining in play, so Bonfiring the Night card will have no effect.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking: it's a Duration, so it stays in play and you can Bonfire it next turn after pulling off your best Treasure.

But also, if you move Crypt to the trash, what happens to all the cards underneath it? Do they move with it (in which case, does Crypt lose track of them because they're also in the trash), or do they stay behind (in which case, Crypt loses track of them because they're no longer underneath Crypt)?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2017, 04:32:34 pm »

Yeah, that's what I was thinking: it's a Duration, so it stays in play and you can Bonfire it next turn after pulling off your best Treasure.

But also, if you move Crypt to the trash, what happens to all the cards underneath it? Do they move with it (in which case, does Crypt lose track of them because they're also in the trash), or do they stay behind (in which case, Crypt loses track of them because they're no longer underneath Crypt)?

Doesn't work, just like processing a Haven doesn't move the set-aside cards in the trash. The card still gets resolved like normal.

Edit: Sorry, I misread.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 04:36:07 pm by Asper »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2017, 04:57:18 pm »

This is answered by what I already said. The effect of the action (or Night card) is not dependent on the card remaining in play. The effect is “set” or “put in motion” on-play, regardless of what happens to the card that initiated it.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ephesos

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2017, 05:25:12 pm »

This is answered by what I already said. The effect of the action (or Night card) is not dependent on the card remaining in play. The effect is “set” or “put in motion” on-play, regardless of what happens to the card that initiated it.
True, the effect happening isn't dependent on Crypt being in play, but what does that effect do? The effect says to put Treasures that are under Crypt into your hand, and there are no Treasures under Crypt anymore, since it's in the trash. It's like Ironworks-Trader: Crypt expects there to be a Treasure underneath it, and there isn't, so the Crypt effect does nothing and the cards remain out of play.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2017, 05:31:39 pm »
+2

True, the effect happening isn't dependent on Crypt being in play, but what does that effect do? The effect says to put Treasures that are under Crypt into your hand, and there are no Treasures under Crypt anymore, since it's in the trash. It's like Ironworks-Trader: Crypt expects there to be a Treasure underneath it, and there isn't, so the Crypt effect does nothing and the cards remain out of play.

I believe "While any remain" refers to "Set aside", not "under this."  So in essence it means, "While any remain set aside..." which is not necessarily dependent upon them being under Crypt.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 05:33:18 pm by ObtusePunubiris »

Donald X.

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2017, 05:56:48 pm »
+7

Using Bonfire on Crypt will not stop the effect. Sorry Bonfire doesn't say non-duration; fortunately people normally do not want to trash their durations.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2017, 07:22:05 pm »

Using Bonfire on Crypt will not stop the effect. Sorry Bonfire doesn't say non-duration; fortunately people normally do not want to trash their durations.

So it's similar to a Processed Hireling?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2017, 10:03:03 pm »

I quite like Crypt. Just having some Coppers not in your deck for a couple turns is pretty nice.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2017, 02:34:49 pm »

I just watched Qvist play a Capital/Crypt game.

I assume it's this one. I watched it too, and Capital/Crypt is pretty bonkers. Unlike Capital/Mandarin, it looks like this one depends on trashing—or some other way of lining up your Capital with your Crypt.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2017, 03:34:57 pm »
+1

I've been dissapointed by the art so far. Crypt looks weriedly off center and a little to much like a sketch.

I don't mind the art, but I'm not too crazy about the inconsistent white text on black background (for Night-Durations: some of the text is white and some is black, and for all night cards: they left the number on the coin symbol black, even when it appears in the body of the card description). I would have preferred if the Night cards had been purple or light grey so black text could still work. But I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Also, the yellow set icon is going to bother me a lot more than it should.

But a Quality of Life change I am pretty excited about is having the use of an Heirloom determined by the presence of a specific Kingdom card, as opposed to using similar logic as Shelters or Platinum/Colony. I mean, there are actual balance reasons for that too, as they were clearly designed with the companion card in mind. But still, it's nice all the same.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2017, 12:39:10 am »

This thing has seemed crazy skill intensive when I play with it.  The complexity of what's gonna miss the reshuffle, what's going to be saved for a key turn, whether you should store fewer than the full amount of treasures so you can redraw it, attempts to use it as a pseudo trasher on boards with no trashing or only estate trashing but good engine pieces, then like, the normal is this as good as the other 5's right now.

Really sweet card.

The archive one isn't sweet like that mostly because it sucks.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 20 queries.