Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: New German Promo 'Abbruch'  (Read 33108 times)

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
Re: New German Promo 'Abbruch'
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2017, 12:24:29 pm »
+3

One of these days, I'm gonna write a browser extension just to make sure I don't have to see these jokes anymore. There was a time they were not funny anymore, and a time they were tedious. By now I cringe so hard every time I see them that it gives me almost physical pain.

No amount of 'beating a dead horse to death' has ever stopped this forum from continuing with awful jokes. That why I was so surprised I hadn't seen any. If you write such an extension, I will gladly use it.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2017, 02:20:39 pm »

If you can write such an extension, you should get in touch with AI developers, I hear they are stuck with NLP algorithms :p
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2017, 02:40:21 pm »
+8

It would be easier to simply write a bot that automatically makes these kinds of jokes, so that the rest of us don't have to.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2017, 02:50:08 pm »

That why I was so surprised I hadn't seen any.

Are you implying that jokes on the card name "Mine" are not awful or that you did not see them?

Edit: Or are you talking about the extension? That would make more sense. Sorry for that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 01:59:50 pm by Asper »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2017, 03:18:07 pm »
+3

Mine jokes won't cease to be funny until we start to see random non-Dominion people make them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2017, 05:39:37 pm »
+1

It would be easier to simply write a bot that automatically makes these kinds of jokes, so that the rest of us don't have to.

...you know, that COULD be doable.  Just scan the forums for mine or mint, find something to say...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2017, 07:51:22 pm »
+2

Mine jokes won't cease to be funny until we start to see random non-Dominion people make them.

I hate when people steal mine jokes, whether they're Dominion people or not.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:34:53 am by Cave-o-sapien »

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2017, 09:58:00 pm »
+7

If you can write such an extension, you should get in touch with AI developers, I hear they are stuck with NLP algorithms :p

Having an AI search through these jokes would raise ethical concerns. The poor machine.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2017, 08:53:47 am »
+4

I like Dominion Card name puns, Mine has just gotten a little stale since it's the lowest hanging fruit. I mean, I still laugh and give it a "respect", so I don't find them as stale as Asper does I guess.

If anybody were to make a browser extension that removes these puns, I'd like to know what your solution to the Scunthorpe Problem is ;)

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2017, 09:55:07 am »
+12

If anybody were to make a browser extension that removes these puns, I'd like to know what your solution to the Scunthorpe Problem is ;)

Yeah, that might undermine attempts to naively search for a list of predetermined words. There's a potential minefield of issues to avoid, so you'd probably have to examine a lot of cases and hope for that to illumine some of the imminent pitfalls; then use that data to find the preeminent solution. A determined programmer could get it done without experiencing too much gloominess, but I wouldn't want to be the nominee.

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2017, 10:31:02 am »
+4

Yeah, that might undermine attempts to naively search for a list of predetermined words.

What does undermint mean?

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2017, 12:26:14 pm »
+3

Yeah, that might undermine attempts to naively search for a list of predetermined words.

90% of the Mint/Mine jokes are like this: Very short posts, coming directly after and/or quoting a post that contains one of the words, having moderate respect. There are two or three subtypes of this, for example such as the one we see, where the quoter swaps which word is used. Or, also popular, such where "mine" is used as the regular word for "my stuff" in the original post, and then the "funny" post writes it capitalized and mentiones Treasures, Engines or a Dominion edition.

Even if I just removed all short posts which mention either card and come right after another post which mentions one of them, as long as I exclude, say, the rules question, puzzle and all Base- or Prosperity-specific threads, I feel there's a low chance of false positives. Nobody talks about Mine or Mint. Going into a case destinction to look for one of the ~3 types of these jokes should probably allow to also apply them to forums where a mention of Mine or Mint is not incredibly unlikely.

Point in case: My post is too long to be a punchline.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2017, 03:27:56 pm »
+6

But Mine isn't.

Sorry, I couldn't resist that opportunity.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 03:29:05 pm by jamfamsam »
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Chappy7

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chappy7
  • Respect: +660
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2017, 05:45:25 pm »
+1

90% of the Mint/Mine jokes are like this: Very short posts, coming directly after and/or quoting a post that contains one of the words, having moderate respect. There are two or three subtypes of this, for example such as the one we see, where the quoter swaps which word is used. Or, also popular, such where "mine" is used as the regular word for "my stuff" in the original post, and then the "funny" post writes it capitalized and mentiones Treasures, Engines or a Dominion edition.

Even if I just removed all short posts which mention either card and come right after another post which mentions one of them, as long as I exclude, say, the rules question, puzzle and all Base- or Prosperity-specific threads, I feel there's a low chance of false positives. Nobody talks about Mine or Mint. Going into a case destinction to look for one of the ~3 types of these jokes should probably allow to also apply them to forums where a mention of Mine or Mint is not incredibly unlikely.

I'm glad I could be your visual aid.  That was actually my first and most likely my last mine joke ever! You guys should be so proud

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2017, 06:36:20 pm »
+3

I'm glad I could be your visual aid.  That was actually my first and most likely my last mine joke ever! You guys should be so proud

But you can still make Mint jokes.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2017, 09:56:49 am »
+1

But you can still make Mint jokes.

But who can tell the difference?
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

mameluke

• Duke
  • Respect: +442
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2017, 10:17:54 am »
+2

More accurately, 90-93% of the Mine/Mint jokes.

greybirdofprey

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +191
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2017, 10:37:41 am »
+3

Having an AI search through these jokes would raise ethical concerns. The poor machine.

The Dutch translation of mining village, when pronounced, is a homonym for 'my village'.
Nearly every time someone plays a mining village someone will ask 'whose village'?

Dutch mining village reskin please.

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2017, 12:41:18 pm »
+2

The Dutch translation of mining village, when pronounced, is a homonym for 'my village'.
Nearly every time someone plays a mining village someone will ask 'whose village'?

Every year at my wife's family reunion, we play Bingo. Every time B4 is called out, the older members shout out "Before what?"

Naturally, this has led the sarcastic younger members to start doing it for everything except B4, as in "B6 what?", etc. The sarcastic response was funny for a while, but now it's just as stale as the B4 thing. As is always the case with a sarcasm arms race, it got ramped up to such absurd levels that now some people do it for every letter/number, like "I18 what?"

As if Bingo wasn't a bad enough game already...

chipperMDW

• Duke
  • Respect: +813
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2017, 12:49:22 pm »
+4

Every year at my wife's family reunion, we play Bingo. Every time B4 is called out, the older members shout out "Before what?"

Naturally, this has led the sarcastic younger members to start doing it for everything except B4, as in "B6 what?", etc. The sarcastic response was funny for a while, but now it's just as stale as the B4 thing. As is always the case with a sarcasm arms race, it got ramped up to such absurd levels that now some people do it for every letter/number, like "I18 what?"

As if Bingo wasn't a bad enough game already...

"You sunk my Battleship®!"

EDIT: In reference to the first part of this:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 12:54:46 pm by chipperMDW »

m_knox

• Steward
  • Respect: +33
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2017, 05:42:18 am »

I haven't spotted a FAQ for this card, so I made this myself:

First you trash a card from your hand, if you have any. If the trashed card has any on-trashed abilities (like Hunting Grounds from Dominion: Dark Ages), or you have an on-trash Reaction such as Market Square (from Dominion: Dark Ages), you resolve them now. Then you check the cost of the trashed card, applying any cost-reducing effects, like that of Bridge (from Dominion: Intrigue) or Highway (from Dominion: Hinterlands) - if the card costs $1 or more, you gain a cheaper card and a Gold. The gained cards must come from the Supply. If there is no cheaper card in the Supply, you still gain a Gold (if available) and vice versa. Cards costing just a Potion (from Dominion: Alchemy) or just Debt (from Dominion: Empires) do not cost $1 or more, so you gain no cards if you trash them. If you do not trash a card, you gain nothing.

Too wordy?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:52:57 am by m_knox »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2017, 08:06:44 am »

Some potion cards do cost 1 or more, i.e. Alchemist costs more than Silver.

m_knox

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2017, 08:09:35 am »

That's why I wrote "just a Potion" (having Transmute and Vineyard in mind) and "just Debt" (having Engineer, City Quarter, Overlord, and Royal Blacksmith in mind).

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2017, 08:11:46 am »

That's why I wrote "just a Potion" (having Transmute and Vineyard in mind) and "just Debt" (having Engineer, City Quarter, Overlord, and Royal Blacksmith in mind).

Well that's not true either, Alchemist doesn't cost less (or more) than Duchy.

m_knox

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 11, 2017, 08:26:12 am »

Well that's not true either, Alchemist doesn't cost less (or more) than Duchy.
What is untrue in this statement "Cards costing just a Potion or just Debt do not cost $1 or more, so you gain no cards if you trash them." (in Dismantle context of course) - where "just X" means "no cost in coins, but in X only"?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.