Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Author Topic: New German Promo 'Abbruch'  (Read 33114 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
Re: New German Promo 'Abbruch'
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »
+1

Wow, they're pissing me off more and more: First they announce to wait a year before releasing Nocturne, then they make a new Promo and don't bring it to Essen, but only maek it available at tournaments which probably be 3 4p games with the same players and no expansion after Seaside again.

What really annoys ME is that I repeatedly told them I was up to helping translate the cards for free (ASS has taken help from fans for a while now), and now they throw out half-assed verbatim translations one year before even planning to actually produce the cards. Devil's Workshop and Dismantle could have stuck with the Workshop and the German equivalent of the Remodel family names easily, but they messed that up, sadly.

I can't say anything about Dismantle, but Nocturne translations were done by your fellow Dominion players, in-house, for Shuffle iT.  They could have gone with Teufelswerkstatt, but they felt Giftkuche was more evocative, and I agree with them.

Which is why I would have translated it as "Teufelswerk". It's a pun.

Any chance the pun can be explained those of us who know enough German to understand Teufel as devil, but remember work as Arbeit?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2017, 04:57:10 pm »
+7

Wow, they're pissing me off more and more: First they announce to wait a year before releasing Nocturne, then they make a new Promo and don't bring it to Essen, but only maek it available at tournaments which probably be 3 4p games with the same players and no expansion after Seaside again.

What really annoys ME is that I repeatedly told them I was up to helping translate the cards for free (ASS has taken help from fans for a while now), and now they throw out half-assed verbatim translations one year before even planning to actually produce the cards. Devil's Workshop and Dismantle could have stuck with the Workshop and the German equivalent of the Remodel family names easily, but they messed that up, sadly.

I can't say anything about Dismantle, but Nocturne translations were done by your fellow Dominion players, in-house, for Shuffle iT.  They could have gone with Teufelswerkstatt, but they felt Giftkuche was more evocative, and I agree with them.

Which is why I would have translated it as "Teufelswerk". It's a pun.

Any chance the pun can be explained those of us who know enough German to understand Teufel as devil, but remember work as Arbeit?

"Werk" in "Teufelswerk" means a piece of work, like "Something the devil created". "Teufelswerk!" is what a medieval German person would exclaim when terrified over something that's apparently magic or of devilish nature (imagine a stereotypical movie where somebody travels back in time and shows king Arthur some king a lighter).

Either way, a "Werk" is also a place where things are being manufactured. And of course Workshop is "Werkstatt" in German. So "Teufelswerk" can be translated to "Something created by the Devil" and, on a more subtle level, as "Devil's Manufacture" or, well, "Devil's Workshop".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:59:19 pm by Asper »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2017, 11:57:29 pm »
+2

I just don't understand how anyone can take Germans seriously when they go around calling the Devil a "toiffle".  Like seriously that word is far too whimsical
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2017, 12:04:58 am »
+5

I just don't understand how anyone can take Germans seriously when they go around calling the Devil a "toiffle".  Like seriously that word is far too whimsical

At least his German name isn't D-evil. Far too obvious.  :P

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
+2

Agreed. "Old Nick" sounds terrifying by comparison.

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2017, 02:21:59 am »

So... is there any knowledge yet about when (or if) this will be available on the BGG store?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2017, 11:16:42 am »

So... is there any knowledge yet about when (or if) this will be available on the BGG store?

I'm pretty sure it has to release in Germany first before the US which won't be until 2018

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2017, 02:12:50 pm »
+2

I'm pretty sure it has to release in Germany first before the US which won't be until 2018
The initial plan was to wait for the German version and I don't know if Jay has revised that.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2017, 02:50:57 pm »

The initial plan was to wait for the German version and I don't know if Jay has revised that.

Is there any chance previous promos will be available in 2nd edition form by the time it's available?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2017, 04:34:17 pm »
+1

Is there any chance previous promos will be available in 2nd edition form by the time it's available?
The new versions of the promos all exist, and I personally have them all. How quickly they go out is down to stock running out. I have no prediction there; I don't know how many of each there are or how quickly they tend to sell.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2017, 04:49:29 pm »

The new versions of the promos all exist, and I personally have them all. How quickly they go out is down to stock running out. I have no prediction there; I don't know how many of each there are or how quickly they tend to sell.

I'm just glad the new versions of Black Market and Envoy are already in the store, since those are the ones that actually contained errors. I guess you could argue that Stash now contains "errors" as well, but somehow that doesn't seem as bad.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2017, 04:50:18 pm »
+1

I'm just glad the new versions of Black Market and Envoy are already in the store, since those are the ones that actually contained errors. I guess you could argue that Stash now contains "errors" as well, but somehow that doesn't seem as bad.

I don't think I've ever used Stash in an IRL game.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2017, 05:33:03 pm »
+7

I don't think I've ever used Stash in an IRL game.

I still fondly remember the day when my wife (then fiancé) brought Stash home after picking it up at the local game store. Ah, the excitement! And of course we weren't expert Dominion players, so the fact that it was super weak didn't matter. It's such a novel card, even today.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 05:34:27 pm by LastFootnote »

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2017, 10:43:00 pm »

Agreed. Stash is strangely satisfying to play IRL.
-The Compulsive Completist

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 02, 2017, 07:15:28 am »
+3

There are 100 sets of 'Abbruch' available via ASS's Facebook page today: https://www.facebook.com/ASS.Spielkarten/app/182540901938662

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 02, 2017, 03:14:03 pm »
+1

There are 100 sets of 'Abbruch' available via ASS's Facebook page today: https://www.facebook.com/ASS.Spielkarten/app/182540901938662
Thanks, I've told Jay in case it affects when the English version goes out.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 02, 2017, 04:28:12 pm »
+1

Apparently its also out with the Spielbox magazine.

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 04, 2017, 02:52:09 pm »
+8

English version now available in the BGG store!
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2017, 01:45:34 pm »

My copy of Dismantle has shipped. Hoping it arrives by the weekend.

I'm wondering when the online implementation will appear...

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2017, 03:12:29 pm »
+2

My copy of Dismantle has shipped.

As has mine. Hooray! I think I'll slot it into Empires, along with Sauna/Avanto. Empires has such a dearth of $4 cards, although it does have a glut of cheap trashers. Hmmm…

RevanFan

• Spy
  • Respect: +41
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2017, 04:30:13 pm »

Mine shipped as well. I have all of Dominion sorted alphabetically, and I planned ahead by making a spot for it when I reorganized for Nocturne.

jamfamsam

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 06, 2017, 07:53:19 pm »
+3

Mine shipped as well. I have all of Dominion sorted alphabetically, and I planned ahead by making a spot for it when I reorganized for Nocturne.

I'm surprised no one has put the Mine quips in yet.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:51 pm »
+3

I'm surprised no one has put the Mine quips in yet.
Most of us got Mine with Prosperity.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2017, 04:32:05 am »
+5

One of these days, I'm gonna write a browser extension just to make sure I don't have to see these jokes anymore. There was a time they were not funny anymore, and a time they were tedious. By now I cringe so hard every time I see them that it gives me almost physical pain.

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2017, 05:22:25 am »
+5

On topic: Dismantle should be on ShuffleIt next week.

Quote from: stef
According to Boardgamegeek, a new promo card is now availible (link: https://boardgamegeekstore.com/collections/frontpage/products/dominion-dismantle ). Any news about when we are able to play with it in the Dominion client?

It wasn't really on my priority list but as you're the third person to ask and it isn't very much work I'll promise to add it within a week (assuming I can get the raw art - that's the only thing where I depend on other people).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.