Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: New German Promo 'Abbruch'  (Read 3198 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9013
    • View Profile
Re: New German Promo 'Abbruch'
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2017, 02:07:57 pm »
+1

Wow, they're pissing me off more and more: First they announce to wait a year before releasing Nocturne, then they make a new Promo and don't bring it to Essen, but only maek it available at tournaments which probably be 3 4p games with the same players and no expansion after Seaside again.

What really annoys ME is that I repeatedly told them I was up to helping translate the cards for free (ASS has taken help from fans for a while now), and now they throw out half-assed verbatim translations one year before even planning to actually produce the cards. Devil's Workshop and Dismantle could have stuck with the Workshop and the German equivalent of the Remodel family names easily, but they messed that up, sadly.

I can't say anything about Dismantle, but Nocturne translations were done by your fellow Dominion players, in-house, for Shuffle iT.  They could have gone with Teufelswerkstatt, but they felt Giftkuche was more evocative, and I agree with them.

Which is why I would have translated it as "Teufelswerk". It's a pun.

Any chance the pun can be explained those of us who know enough German to understand Teufel as devil, but remember work as Arbeit?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +4451
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 13, 2017, 04:57:10 pm »
+6

Wow, they're pissing me off more and more: First they announce to wait a year before releasing Nocturne, then they make a new Promo and don't bring it to Essen, but only maek it available at tournaments which probably be 3 4p games with the same players and no expansion after Seaside again.

What really annoys ME is that I repeatedly told them I was up to helping translate the cards for free (ASS has taken help from fans for a while now), and now they throw out half-assed verbatim translations one year before even planning to actually produce the cards. Devil's Workshop and Dismantle could have stuck with the Workshop and the German equivalent of the Remodel family names easily, but they messed that up, sadly.

I can't say anything about Dismantle, but Nocturne translations were done by your fellow Dominion players, in-house, for Shuffle iT.  They could have gone with Teufelswerkstatt, but they felt Giftkuche was more evocative, and I agree with them.

Which is why I would have translated it as "Teufelswerk". It's a pun.

Any chance the pun can be explained those of us who know enough German to understand Teufel as devil, but remember work as Arbeit?

"Werk" in "Teufelswerk" means a piece of work, like "Something the devil created". "Teufelswerk!" is what a medieval German person would exclaim when terrified over something that's apparently magic or of devilish nature (imagine a stereotypical movie where somebody travels back in time and shows king Arthur some king a lighter).

Either way, a "Werk" is also a place where things are being manufactured. And of course Workshop is "Werkstatt" in German. So "Teufelswerk" can be translated to "Something created by the Devil" and, on a more subtle level, as "Devil's Manufacture" or, well, "Devil's Workshop".

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Prepare to be boarded!
  • Respect: +8877
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2017, 11:57:29 pm »
+2

I just don't understand how anyone can take Germans seriously when they go around calling the Devil a "toiffle".  Like seriously that word is far too whimsical
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +4451
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2017, 12:04:58 am »
+3

I just don't understand how anyone can take Germans seriously when they go around calling the Devil a "toiffle".  Like seriously that word is far too whimsical

At least his German name isn't D-evil. Far too obvious.  :P

crj

• Explorer
  • Respect: +435
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2017, 05:09:10 pm »
+2

Agreed. "Old Nick" sounds terrifying by comparison.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.