Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Community/Fan Expansions: Do you use them? If so, how do you integrate them?  (Read 2595 times)

Rodel30

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
    • Main site

For a long time I didn't use fan expansions because I couldn't think of a good way to properly integrate them into my collection.

Initially I was thinking of using some of the blank cards and writing a 1 on 12, a 2 on 12, etc. Then if we wanted to use a fan card we would just pull the number of stacks of blanks as needed to fill the spots (with appropriate number of cards for the stack [10/8/12]) and I'd have a print out of the card (probably 4 copies of each) that would be next to each person in number order for their reference during the game. The upside is that I wouldn't need to print nearly as many pages and would save a lot of space in my storage solution. The downside is that people will either need to memorize the fan cards or be looking at the reference when planning their next hand when they have one of the numbered cards in hand.

The alternative solution that I ended up going with was buying the second edition of base and intrigue, pulling out the new cards, then using all the duplicate cards as "backers" for printed fan cards; attaching the printed card to the dominion card with scrapbooking double sided tape (strong enough to prevent the printed paper from getting to the edge of a sleeve revealing that it's a fan card when next on the deck, but made to be non-damaging if ever removed). It does make the card a tiny bit thicker, but not enough to be noticeable in a deck stack. This does require printing off the full amount of cards, which ends up costing a bit and taking more storage space, but provides a more natural integration into the game.

Do any other people on this site use the fan expansions? How do you integrate them?

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile

This should go in the Variants and Fan Cards subforum.

Initially I was thinking of using some of the blank cards and writing a 1 on 12, a 2 on 12, etc. Then if we wanted to use a fan card we would just pull the number of stacks of blanks as needed to fill the spots (with appropriate number of cards for the stack [10/8/12]) and I'd have a print out of the card (probably 4 copies of each) that would be next to each person in number order for their reference during the game. The upside is that I wouldn't need to print nearly as many pages and would save a lot of space in my storage solution. The downside is that people will either need to memorize the fan cards or be looking at the reference when planning their next hand when they have one of the numbered cards in hand.
This is more or less how I do it: I take 10 blank cards and write a Greek letter on them, and put them in the supply with a reference card above them.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+2

This is more or less how I do it: I take 10 blank cards and write a Greek letter on them, and put them in the supply with a reference card above them.

Personally, I like to use Chinese characters.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
+1

Unless your sleeves are really loose, you shouldn't need tape to stick a proxy image to your card. Just put the piece of paper between the front of the card and the sleeve and you're good. I've been doing this for years, and it works perfectly.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile

What if you're a pleb like me and don't have any sleeves for your cards?
I've wondered about fan expansions and even cards I've tried to make myself, but I've always run into the same sort of integration problems as the original poster.

Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile

I tested my cards using a software until I was convinced they were good enough to actually print. I still had to change a few of them after that, but it's far less bad than if I had gone through all the iterations on actual paper. Obviously the software isn't nearly as fun to play as real life or the official Dominion implementation.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile

What if you're a pleb like me and don't have any sleeves for your cards?

Then you're SOL.

Trogdor the Burninator

• Golem
  • Respect: +76
    • View Profile

I tested my cards using a software until I was convinced they were good enough to actually print. I still had to change a few of them after that, but it's far less bad than if I had gone through all the iterations on actual paper. Obviously the software isn't nearly as fun to play as real life or the official Dominion implementation.

How complicated was it to make a software that would test your cards?
Dominion.games username: Jolinar of Malkshur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHF_bIjIPAE

(I did not create the Trogdor the Burninator song nor am I associated with its producers in any way.  I just think it sounds cool. :P)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

I don't know how complicated it was for Asper to do it the way he did it, but with Tabletop Simulator, you can do it super easily if you can live with the environment being what it is, with no rules enforcement or anything like that, and the fact that you need to buy TTS.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
+1

I don't know how complicated it was for Asper to do it the way he did it, but with Tabletop Simulator, you can do it super easily if you can live with the environment being what it is, with no rules enforcement or anything like that, and the fact that you need to buy TTS.

TTS is what I used. Creating a sw that actually knows Dominion rules is above what I'd like to invest into doing fan cards. My main complaint with TTS is that it's slow. I didn't mention it initially because I feel the Dominion creators might not approve too much of that "alternate implementation" being advertized, even with its given shortcomings.

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
+1

I would love it if ShIT got a way to implement basic fan cards, although that's not gonna happen for a while.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+3

I would love it if ShIT got a way to implement basic fan cards, although that's not gonna happen for a while.

There's probably a joke about shit hitting the fan here somehow...

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile

This should go in the Variants and Fan Cards subforum.

Initially I was thinking of using some of the blank cards and writing a 1 on 12, a 2 on 12, etc. Then if we wanted to use a fan card we would just pull the number of stacks of blanks as needed to fill the spots (with appropriate number of cards for the stack [10/8/12]) and I'd have a print out of the card (probably 4 copies of each) that would be next to each person in number order for their reference during the game. The upside is that I wouldn't need to print nearly as many pages and would save a lot of space in my storage solution. The downside is that people will either need to memorize the fan cards or be looking at the reference when planning their next hand when they have one of the numbered cards in hand. :p
Someone in my game group did something similar to this when Alchemy first came out.  He was anxious to play them, so he used unused cards, and did a "conversion reference" for all to see. For example... "what $6 card do you never use?" "ADVENTURER!".  That shall be the proxy for Possession!
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile

Before I had sleeves, I would use the Ruins for fan cards. There’s 10 of each so it’s perfect.

I don’t really do fan cards much, though.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile

Unless your sleeves are really loose, you shouldn't need tape to stick a proxy image to your card. Just put the piece of paper between the front of the card and the sleeve and you're good. I've been doing this for years, and it works perfectly.
I sleeved the base game, and was able to play 5p by using Curses and blanks as extra Coppers, Estates, and Provinces.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.