Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Nocturne Teasers Speculation  (Read 31496 times)

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
Re: Nocturne Teasers Speculation
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2017, 03:27:45 pm »
+1

Now if we only know what Hexes actually do...
Edge case: Hexes are confusion cards and do absolutely nothing.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2017, 03:30:54 pm »

Also, forum mafia will have a field day with these names!

Ooo that's right! These names can be added to forum titles! If those ever get updated...
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

filovirus

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +36
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2017, 04:01:31 pm »

Cursed Village can only be played during night phase. Or maybe playing cursed village results in taking a Hex card. Blessed Village results in taking a Boon.

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2017, 04:38:14 pm »
+1

Some thoughts I had.

If this is a Dark Ages sequel, then could we have some villages whose names are people, e.g. Wandering Minstrel, Squire and Madman. Bard and Fool are certainly quite similar.

Could Changeling be similar to Hireling? There does seem to be scope for similar cards. For example a card that gives you an extra action or an extra buy each turn in the same way Hireling lets you draw an extra card.

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 04:38:42 pm »
+2

Religious buildings, persons, and paraphernalia have often been associated with trashing - for example: Chapel, Bishop, Altar, Sacrifice, Temple. So I definitely think that Monastery is some kind of trasher.  Sacred Grove and Druid could also have a connection with trashing.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 04:40:30 pm »
+1

I sure hope Necromancer is at least slightly similar to my version in that it gains from the trash. I would be rather sad if the name was just glued onto something pointlessly.

I wouldn't be surprised if Werewolf either had some interaction with Silver (like mine does) or has some changing mechanism.

Other than that, I hope there are no Travellers. Alt-VP sounds great, though, and we got some reasonable candidates. Maybe Cemetary is Donald's old "After the game" card of the same name revisited? That sounds interesting enough.

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4434
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2017, 04:49:37 pm »
+17

I wouldn't be surprised if Werewolf either had some interaction with Silver (like mine does)

Oh man, you left this one wide open...

ahem

"Mine interacts with all Treasures, not just Silver"

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2017, 06:20:09 pm »

Thematically, a changeling can be a folklore character that replaces a child. That's a good candidate for a transforming card. Many others could be too. Werewolves and vampires of course, but you know idols can become cursed and cursed villages can be exorcised.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2017, 07:07:08 pm »
+8

I wouldn't be surprised if Werewolf either had some interaction with Silver (like mine does)

Oh man, you left this one wide open...

ahem

"Mine interacts with all Treasures, not just Silver"

I was fully aware of the fact that writing the word "mine" in any context on these forums warrants the risk that somebody will make that joke. I chose not to let fear rule my life, though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2017, 07:12:57 pm »
+5

I chose not to let fear rule my life, though.

I chose not to let it rule mine, either.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2017, 07:36:03 pm »
+1

Anyone have a mint.

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2017, 12:34:34 am »
+2

Anyone have a mint.

That reminds me, I really need to make a card named "Mime". As there is no expansion with an "Art" theme, it actually doesn't sound all that bad. If I ever have an idea for another small fan expansion mechanic, I'll call it "Encore" and make a Mime.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12849
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 12:48:17 am »
+5

Anyone have a mint.

That reminds me, I really need to make a card named "Mime". As there is no expansion with an "Art" theme, it actually doesn't sound all that bad. If I ever have an idea for another small fan expansion mechanic, I'll call it "Encore" and make a Mime.

While you're at it, you also need to make a card named "Meme".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2017, 01:39:37 am »
+4

Actually, "Art" doesn't sound like a bad theme for the next expansion, given that the last three were sequels to existing expansions and that Guilds and Cornucopia are the last big contenders for sequels with both having a civilian theme. If I was to guess mechanics, I'd go with Trade tokens and prize-like non-cards.

I will link to this post in about a year and henceforth be called a prophet.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2017, 02:12:18 am »
+1

I think high fantasy could be a cool theme. Dominion is already a bit fantasy but most of the game is pretty grounded, except Nocturne from the looks of things. We really need a dragon card

Also something like temporum would be cool where we have a multiple timeline thing going on.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:14:23 am by Beyond Awesome »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2017, 08:30:45 am »
+1

I think high fantasy could be a cool theme. Dominion is already a bit fantasy but most of the game is pretty grounded, except Nocturne from the looks of things. We really need a dragon card. Also something like temporum would be cool where we have a multiple timeline thing going on.

Please no. I'm fine with some minor fantasy with like Witch in the base game, or heavier but still appropriate like in Alchemy. But I don't want this to become another dumb fantasy game, or ditch the whole medieval theme to become time-wimey.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

Asper

• Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2017, 09:05:54 am »
+2

If magic ever becomes another main theme (which in my opinion is already the case for Nocturne), I doubt it's going to be in Guildocopia 2, at least as long as sequels continue to be thematically related to the original. You'll have to wait until Donald X runs out of stuff he can do over Alchemy 2 there.

pregnantbird

• Swindler
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2017, 11:11:54 am »

I thought, about the "fate" and "doom" cards which give out "boons" and "hexes" respectively.

We have two villages, which fit to the card types:

Blessed Village - Fate card type -> Gives boons
and
Cursed Village - Doom card type -> Gives hexes

Otherwise, they are just normal Villages.
Who would get the hexes and boons and what they are would still be a question :)

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2017, 12:52:48 pm »
+1

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I don't think Nocturne will have any cursers. Like how Dark Ages only had Looters for junking attacks, I think Nocturne will make as much use as possible out of Hexes.

I absolutely agree with this. Also, I think Boons and Hexes will be like Landmarks, but they only apply to the player that has them. They might be extra rules that you get/have to follow (Like a Hex could be: "At the start of each turn, discard a card.") Or maybe they affect your score in some way ("-1 VP for each 4 action cards in your deck, rounded down.") There will probably be a way to get rid of Hexes, though I don't know what. Maybe the Hexes themselves will have a remove clause that's also harmful ("At the start of each turn, discard a card. You may gain 2 coppers to remove this.")

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2017, 02:18:29 pm »
+1

A lot of these card names sound like attack cards, there can't be that many of them, can there?

I would guess there are about 3 doom cards and 3 fate cards.  Looking at the names, I would guess that the doom cards are Cursed Village, Tormentor, and Idol?  And I would guess the fate cards are Blessed Village, Druid, and Pixie?

I had a fan card named Ghost Town.  It was a village that discarded action cards.  So, that's my speculation for the card.

Changeling could be a throne room variant that copies cards already in play... perhaps at night.

Tragic Hero sounds like a one-shot.

Seconding the person who guessed that Shepherd and Fool sound like the beginning of Traveler lines.

Commodore Chuckles

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Commodore Chuckles
  • Respect: +1971
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2017, 02:28:28 pm »

About the idea of an attack village, I dunno. That doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Almost all of the attacks in Dominion have been terminal, and the reason is because attacks you can string off each other will usually be overpowered. If we're going to get this, maybe it'll be a handsize attack or something else that doesn't stack. It still sounds very obnoxious, though, because villages are something you want to buy and play a lot of.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 02:47:49 pm »

Doom cards don't need to be attacks.  They could give yourself hexes, like how death cart was a looter that gave yourself ruins.

dghunter79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +319
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2017, 06:19:04 pm »
+2

I think high fantasy could be a cool theme. Dominion is already a bit fantasy but most of the game is pretty grounded, except Nocturne from the looks of things. We really need a dragon card. Also something like temporum would be cool where we have a multiple timeline thing going on.

Please no. I'm fine with some minor fantasy with like Witch in the base game, or heavier but still appropriate like in Alchemy. But I don't want this to become another dumb fantasy game, or ditch the whole medieval theme to become time-wimey.

Fact: Dominion is set in the MCU.

crlundy

• Apprentice
  • Shuffle iT Username: crlundy
  • Respect: +323
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2017, 12:10:55 am »
+1

I have no guesses how Night works, and these card speculations lack specifics. But here we go.

Cemetery: alt VP relying on Night
Cursed Village/Blessed Village (split pile): +1 Card +2 Actions, when you gain this gain a Hex/Boon
Devil’s Workshop: gain a card costing up to $X, each other player gains a Hex
Faithful Hound: our chihuahua?
Idol: Treasure that hands out Hexes (but addresses the non-terminal attack problem eg only the first time you play one)
Leprechaun: now and at the start of your next 2 turns, choose 1 (because 3 wishes, but maybe too similar to Archive, also Durations might be too much for this set)
Monastery or Sacred Grove: trashing, maybe limited to Hexes/Curses a la Vagrant (because religion = trashing)
Night Watchman: either Night Moat or Night trasher
Pixie: at Night, gain a Boon
Pooka: gain a Boon, or at Night each other player gains a Hex
Shepherd: I think there will be at least one Traveller line (Dark Ages had Hermit and Urchin, so this is the sequel to that); Shepherd is plausible, but 3 cards max in the line
Tragic Hero: +$2, don’t gain a Treasure?
Vampire: exchange this for a Bat (either or both only attacks at Night)
Werewolf: Silver bane seems cute, but it needs to be an interesting mechanic not just for flavor’s sake

FYI a skulk is a group of foxes.

pregnantbird

• Swindler
  • Respect: +17
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2017, 04:40:15 am »

I like your ideas :)

A thing about the night:
The village blacksmith turns into a wolf whenever there's a full moon; when there's a crescent moon, he turns into a chihuahua

Seems like the night is not always the same...
could be that in the progress of the game, some wheel (or card) for the moon phase is turned, so that cards can have different effects throughout the game. Maybe cards give boons or hexes, depending on this moon phase?? Since there are two different types of cards (Fate and Doom), each one of them could have a good effect and a bad effect through two different moon phases (Half moon, full moon). Through this, timing would get more important and an interesting interplay could happen if one player buys fate cards and the other buys doom cards :)

About the cards:
tragic hero (Doom): Maybe it is like a normal hero (+2, gain treasure) but it gains a hex, depending on the moon?
cursed village (Doom), blessed village (Fate): gives the second action only in the fitting moon phase
faithful hound, weerwolf, vampire,... (Doom): Strong attacks with hexes at full moon, weak or no effects at half moon
Pixie, Pooka, Monastery,... (Fate): Strong good effects with boons at half moon, weak or no good effects at full moon, maybe defenses against Doom cards
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 05:37:36 am by pregnantbird »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 22 queries.