Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Author Topic: Nocturne Teasers  (Read 37004 times)

TonyStark

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: Nocturne Teasers
« Reply #100 on: October 20, 2017, 09:26:01 pm »

Lotta wooshing going on in this thread.
Has anyone tried "whoosh"?

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2017, 01:26:05 am »

Lotta wooshing going on in this thread.
Has anyone tried "whoosh"?

Yeah, I tried some a couple weeks ago and it gave me a bad headache.  I think I'm just gonna stick with beer.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2017, 05:15:40 am »
+2

Most of the German names, which indicate that Vampire, Exorcist, Druid and Bard are female.

Fool - Narr
Werewolf - Werwolf
Shepherd - Schäfer
Night Watchman - Nachtwache
Necromancer - Totenbeschwörer
Tragic Hero - Tragischer Held
Raider - Plünderer
Guardian - Wächter
Tracker - Fährtensucher
Skulk - Schleicher
Tormentor - Peiniger
Cobbler - Schuster
Vampire - Vampirin
Bard - Minnesängerin
Exorcist - Exorzistin
Druid - Druidin
Cemetery - Friedhof
Conclave - Konklave
Crypt - Krypta
Cursed Village - Verfluchtes Dorf
Ghost Town - Geisterstadt
Monastery - Kloster
Sacred Grove - Heiliger Hain
Secret Cave - Geheime Höhle
Pixie - Fee
Changeling - Wechselbalg

missing:

Faithful Hound
Idol
Pooka
Den of Sin
Devil's Workshop
Blessed Village

market squire

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +201
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 21, 2017, 07:35:32 am »

Idol - Götze
Den of Sin - Spelunke (this translation doesn't have the ambiguity discussed above)
Pooka - Puka
Blessed Village - Seliges Dorf

I wasn't serious about Cthulhu

It seems there will be some Cthulhu in there. Just look for the artwork of idol on Joshua Stewart's page:D

BlackHole

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 21, 2017, 07:49:56 am »

got the last ones :)

Faithful Hound - Getreuer Hund (old-fashioned, but that's fine) and
Devil's Workshop - Giftküche (I like this one more and more as I think about it)

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2017, 08:08:55 am »
+1

Idol - Götze
Den of Sin - Spelunke (this translation doesn't have the ambiguity discussed above)
Pooka - Puka
Blessed Village - Seliges Dorf

I wasn't serious about Cthulhu

It seems there will be some Cthulhu in there. Just look for the artwork of idol on Joshua Stewart's page:D

The idol on that page is for some Fantasy Flight Game, not Dominion.

Watno

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2017, 08:52:51 am »

Stewart's page has Conclave and Exorcist for "Reogrande Games" though.

The lady on Conclave looks a lot like Warcrafts's Jaina and Dota's Crystal maiden.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 08:54:34 am by Watno »

ThetaSigma12

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ThetaSigma12
  • Respect: +1809
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2017, 09:37:19 am »

Stewart's page has Conclave and Exorcist for "Reogrande Games" though.
Yeah, but Expedition and Lost Arts also say Reogrande Games.
My magnum opus collection of dominion fan cards is available here!

aarone46

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 21, 2017, 10:52:42 am »
+3

Cthulu would be cool too....

I would dig a Great Old Ones pile with each card being a different (à la Knights) Lovecraftian ancient.

Oh god, please no.  There's plenty of other Lovecraft stuff in other boardgames - it can stay out of Dominion, thank you very much.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 21, 2017, 11:04:53 am »

I would dig a Great Old Ones pile with each card being a different (à la Knights) Lovecraftian ancient.

Oh god, please no.  There's plenty of other Lovecraft stuff in other boardgames - it can stay out of Dominion, thank you very much.

Yeah, I get it. It's overdone in boardgaming and if Dominion added something like that now, it would just seem like Donald was jumping on the Cthulhu bandwagon.  So let me qualify my statement with, "if the theme weren't already played out..."

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5345
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 21, 2017, 12:58:50 pm »

I never got the Chtullu hype. Must be an American thing.

TonyStark

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 21, 2017, 08:57:09 pm »

Devil's Workshop - Giftküche (I like this one more and more as I think about it)
This is already my new favorite card.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 21, 2017, 10:21:09 pm »
+2

As cool as the quiz was, it's a little sad that teasers this year means "you get to know the names of most of the cards". Previously it was always interesting information dealing with various quantities of different things and slight information actually related to mechanics.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10721
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 21, 2017, 10:45:24 pm »
+6

As cool as the quiz was, it's a little sad that teasers this year means "you get to know the names of most of the cards". Previously it was always interesting information dealing with various quantities of different things and slight information actually related to mechanics.

Yeah, I understand. Although as I posted on reddit, Donald's original plan was to post the list of 33 names as the teaser. I proposed the quiz. So uh think of it as a slightly more fun, interactive version of what you could have had, rather than it being slightly less fun than a thing which wasn't going to happen this time.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #114 on: October 21, 2017, 11:30:15 pm »

Perhaps Donald thought that he couldn't do that kind of teaser for Nocturne without either giving too much away or not really saying anything at all. Or maybe he didn't have the energy to do that kind of teaser. I trust his motives.

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
  • Grand Market = cantrip Woodcutter
  • Respect: +397
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 22, 2017, 09:57:35 am »
+3

This kind of teasers are not that fun for non native english speaking people :(
Yes, I realized that right after posting it and am kicking myself. I sincerely apologize! I know it’s probably too little too late, but hopefully soon I can update it with at least the German names and possibly others. Sorry again!
I hope everyone got a version of the quiz in the language they preferred, or will get it while it's still interesting to them.

However, please don't think of "non native english speaking people" as a homogeneous group with respect to this quiz (or language issues related to board games in general). I have a strong preference for having things in the original language, when it's one I'm comfortable with, and this includes English. (This preference of mine applies to board games, movies, books, all sorts of stuff.)

If I were to guess Danish names, I think my strategy would be to first guess the English original names, then guess at how they might have been translated, which is more difficult than just guessing the English names directly. (As I understand it, both English and Danish names would be correct answers in the hypothetical Danish version you would've set up, so my point is doubly hypothetical.)

The fact that I prefer this in English rather than my native language of course doesn't erase the existence of those with the opposite preference. Just, please be aware that people whose native languages doesn't include English don't all have the same preferences. There's probably almost never any risk that efforts to accommodate people with RTT's preferences come at the expense of accommodating people with my preferences, so it's mainly an issue of not conflating distinct sets of people in how you speak (and maybe think), not how you act, just... please be aware of this distinction :)

(Edge case: you make a piece of software. The installer peeks at my system config and sees a Danish keyboard layout, timezone Europe/Copenhagen, and Danish date format—don't assume that I want the Danish names for the menu items, error messages etc.; sure, default the <select> box to "Danish", but let me pick English. It might not occur to you that some people want this if you make the wrong assumption that everyone prefers their native language.)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 22, 2017, 05:36:17 pm »
+2

German and Russian (and maybe Japanese?) answers were added because those languages are supported on Dominion Online.  Danish is not yet supported, unfortunately. :(

Perhaps Donald thought that he couldn't do that kind of teaser for Nocturne without either giving too much away or not really saying anything at all. Or maybe he didn't have the energy to do that kind of teaser. I trust his motives.

I think it was more that this set had some cool names that he wanted to show off.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 22, 2017, 05:38:13 pm »
+2

German and Russian (and maybe Japanese?) answers were added because those languages are supported on Dominion Online.  Danish is not yet supported, unfortunately. :(

I think it was more that this set had some cool names that he wanted to show off.

Come for the names, stay for the mechanics.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2017, 01:28:44 am »
+1

Owl
Twilight
Teen Romance Crush
Cats!
Moonshine
Pumpkin Juice
Wood Chopper
Night Scout
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2017, 11:33:37 am »
+1

German and Russian (and maybe Japanese?) answers were added because those languages are supported on Dominion Online. Danish is not yet supported, unfortunately. :(
From a global utilitarian do-the-most-good-for-the-greatest-number-of-people perspective*, I think it's good that German and especially Russian and Japanese has been prioritized over Danish. (* I probably only take this perspective because the status quo already serves me just fine.)

There are few Danes and we're good at English (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EF_English_Proficiency_Index)—or maybe it's more accurate to say that a large fraction of us are mediocre-to-sufficiently-decent (or better) at English. There are many Germans, and fewer of them are good at English. There are even more Russians and Japanese, and much fewer of them are good at English. Also, since no Dominion products have been translated to Danish, being both Danish and interested in Dominion predicts being sufficiently good at English, more so than for native speakers of any of the languages on http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/List_of_cards_in_other_languages.

Likewise, translating to Hungarian does the world a greater favor than translating to Danish (there's more of them, and fewer are good at English). Sure, do both, but if you have to prioritize which one you do first...

Maybe being young correlates with both English proficiency and interest in board games, in which case the English Proficiency Index is probably a sub-perfect guide. Maybe being young correlates with English proficiency more in the eastern-block countries than in the west. But apart from that, what I said is an exact science ;)

FemurLemur

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: FemurLemur
  • Respect: +196
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: October 24, 2017, 05:00:32 pm »

So you're hoping for a Night Knight?

jonaskoelker

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 24, 2017, 06:52:40 pm »
+2

So you're hoping for a Night Knight?

Some would say that's a Really Bad Card Idea:

Night Knight
Action - Attack - Knight - Night - $5
Each other player reveals the top 2 cards of his deck, trashes one of them costing from $3 to $6, and discards the rest. If a Knight is trashed by this, trash this card.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 22 queries.