Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How carefully/slowly do you play?  (Read 5438 times)

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
How carefully/slowly do you play?
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:38:05 pm »
+1

I've just recently watched some streamed matches for the first time (some of Dan's Online Championship ones) and one thing has struck me:

He plays very deliberately. Now, part of this may be because he is narrating his actions and his decision-making process, but perhaps there's some benefit to that?

I have had this notion that there's an association between being a great player and playing fast, but I increasingly suspect that notion is misguided.

What do you think?

What speed do you play?

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
Re: How carefully/slowly do you play?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 02:05:25 pm »
+6

I have had this notion that there's an association between being a great player and playing fast

What? Except for Mic they're all dreadfully slow.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 02:08:58 pm »

I have had this notion that there's an association between being a great player and playing fast

Like I said, I don't watch streams, so I'm limited to first-hand experience. I think as you "climb the ranks" you do see a positive correlation between skill and speed, because a lot of inexperienced players are slow, and a lot of experienced players are fast (maybe recklessly so?). But I suspect there is an inflection point somewhere near the top 100 or so, where play becomes more deliberate.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:01:05 pm »

That must make me an expert!

But that's playing IRL. I haven't played very much online. I honestly don't think I've played and Dominion at all in the last year.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 04:50:24 pm »
+15

I always watch his videos at half-speed, to catch all the nuances.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 05:14:12 pm »
+1

Really? I watch all of everyone's Dominion videos at double speed, since they're so slow........
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 05:15:27 pm »
+17

Stay tuned for my next thread: "How carefully/slowly do you watch Dominion videos?"

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 05:57:41 pm »

Go back to some old AI (the person, not the computer) games for some slow games. I can't find the link quickly, but there was that one game that lasted an hour I believe
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 06:41:17 pm »
+1

I remember watching a gkrieg league match back in the days of MF where the game lasted over an hour and was very close, and then one of them lost connection and the game was gone for good.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 07:44:39 pm »
+20

If you do this and play the audio backwards, my coughs reveal the coordinates of a long hidden treasure.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 10:56:49 pm »
+3

I think it's more important to spot when your speed of play is a symptom of something else going wrong. For instance, if you start getting angry at a problem instead of solving the problem then your play will probably speed up too much. If you get lost in thought about something you may start forgetting other things you've deduced about the kingdom.

Play at the speed you enjoy.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 12:29:52 am »
+7

If you do this and play the audio backwards, my coughs reveal the coordinates of a long hidden treasure.
all those times u said "i don't know if treasure trove is right here" u secretly meant THE TREASURE TROVE IS RIGHT HERE
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 05:41:20 am »
+5

There is no competetive advantage in playing fast. Sure, you might enjoy yourself more, but it has to be obvious to anyone that playing more slowly and thinking through several scenarios can't be worse than going with your first intuition (of course there are cases where you talk yourself out of the optimal play, but that's not the fault of thinking, but of thinking wrongly).

The problem is that there are very few people who have the tools to think about these things productively and the marginal value is often pretty small compared to the intuition of a player with similar skill. That said, I think that methodical approach has the biggest chance rise the skill ceiling of the dominion community, especially if the trend continues that we get more and more control of our decks.

edit: Personally, I also play pretty fast most of the time, but I think I'm wrong about it :)

Also, the correct speed to watch dominion videos is 1.25
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 05:48:07 am by drsteelhammer »
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

Co0kieL0rd

• Minion
  • Respect: +863
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 08:13:44 am »
+3

I have had this notion that there's an association between being a great player and playing fast, but I increasingly suspect that notion is misguided.
This fallacy may derive from the observation of inexperienced players taking extra time to read cards carefully, contemplating plays an advanced player would deem obviously bad, or slowing solving a sequence of actions they are unfamiliar with. On the other hand, those players tend to build simpler decks that involve less complex decision-making (half-engines, engines that green too early, or with sub-optimal payload, is what I see most often).
With experienced players, these things often proceed automatically, especially in real life games against new players, with cards from sets they've been long familiar with. With an equal opponent, and both players playing to win, they will likely take longer for their decisions to gain that small edge over the other they need to win, or exploit their mistakes.
Check out my fan cards!
Dominion: Seasons - a small set Asper and I made that revolves around a unique and original mechanic
Roots and Renewal - this set is about interacting with the Supply and manipulating your opening turns
Flash cards - trying out a new concept

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 10:27:13 am »
+4

Inexperienced players: Very slow
Novice players: A little slow
Intermediate players: Fast
Veteran players: Slightly less fast, usually
Expert players in high stakes games: Somewhat fast, but with some EXTREMELY slow parts at critical junctures. If the board is complex, this could be slow for the entire game.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 10:55:49 am »
+10

I'm very methodical. I take 3 minutes and 59 seconds per click, approx.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

crj

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1644
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 08:00:12 pm »

There is no competitive advantage in playing fast.
Sure there is: if you play twice as fast, you can win twice as many games. (-8

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2017, 03:39:35 pm »
+2

There is no competetive advantage in playing fast.
Sure there is. You give your opponent less time to think.

(Well, it works in chess. I don't know if it works in Dominion.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2017, 01:01:23 am »
+9

I don't play half as slowly half as well as I should like; and I lose playing half as slowly half as well as I deserve.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

ackmondual

• Witch
  • Respect: +294
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2017, 03:37:01 am »

Inexperienced players: Very slow
Novice players: A little slow
Intermediate players: Fast
Veteran players: Slightly less fast, usually
Expert players in high stakes games: Somewhat fast, but with some EXTREMELY slow parts at critical junctures. If the board is complex, this could be slow for the entire game.
4p Tournament game, one player took about 3 to 4 minutes to decide on what to do.  He apologized, but his "time per turn" ratio was still very good, and we were about halfway through (about 7 Colonies left).  He had 26 coins, +5 Buys, NO Copper in play (so Grand Markets were also an option), so that's something *I* would like to think not in haste as well.
Village, +2 Actions.  Village, +3 Actions.  Village, +4 Actions.  Village, +5 Actions.  Village, +6 Actions.  Village, +7 Actions.  Workers Village, +2 Buys, +8 Actions.  End Action Phase.  No Treasures to play.  No buy.  No Night cards to play

Gherald

• Minion
  • Awe: +35
  • Respect: +1397
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2017, 08:49:12 pm »

With cards I know I usually play as fast as I possibly can, while averaging 1-2 undo requests per game due to misclicks.

My blacklist has roughly 160 people on it (not exaggerating, I just counted)

I don't mind people who occasionally take long turns for tricky stuff, but if you're only playing about 1 card every 3 seconds we won't be playing again.
My opponent has more loot than me

Jacob marley

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jacob Marley
  • Respect: +139
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 05:45:04 pm »
+1

Wow, that's pretty harsh.  I takes me about that long just to move my mouse.  I'm guessing that wither we have not played or I'm on your blacklist (not that I mind).

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2017, 12:40:01 am »

I definitely would never play a game that quickly. But I guess the "serious" players are more focused on the game, while I use it as a way to relax. Rarely would I be doing zero other things at the same time.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

JThorne

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +604
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 11:48:24 am »

I've reached that tipping point where I'm starting to slow way down.

Even cards that only do one thing now make me hesitate. Will I be triggering a reshuffle I don't want? Will I be drawing key actions dead and making them skip the shuffle? Even if my engine is drawing deck, can I build up enough actions to play a gainer first and then draw cards? Should I use this sifter early to draw key components, or use it late to set up the next hand with extra draw components? And then there's the buy phase.

I just played a few games where certain turns did leave me thinking longer than I used to. I skipped playing a Hunting Grounds because I knew my Champion was still in the deck and I didn't want to skip it. I had a deck-drawing engine and kept hesitating to figure out if there was an action left in my deck I wanted to Ghost at the end of my turn rather than draw it and waste the Ghost. Just playing actions/draw/actions/draw/actions/draw/payload is no longer good enough.

In the 7-colonies-left game above, $26 coin is actually pretty tricky. Three GMs only gets you to $32, one lousy coin shy of triple-Colony. So, do you have enough draw for three GMs and a Copper (ick?) Two GMs and a Colony gives you a $30 for double-Colony/Province turns to finish out, which seems like a resonable compromise, since two Colonies and nothing is committing to full greening now and possibly squandering the leftover $4 each turn. It might be necessary to scroll up in the log and read the opponent's play carefully in order to decide how the rest of the game will play out. I've thought about it now for several minutes and I wasn't even playing. It also sounds like the state of the piles could make a big difference in that game.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 11:51:06 am by JThorne »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 21 queries.