Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dominion Round Table: New Dominion Blog Article Format-This month's topic Donate  (Read 6731 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
+22

Hi everyone,

I've created a new Round Table blog article. Essentially, various people chime in on a topic and give their thoughts. This month, the focus was on Donate. You can read that by clicking here https://dominionstrategy.com/2017/10/18/dominion-round-table-donate/.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to post them. In the future, one idea I have to make the flow of Round Table discussions better is to have a set start and end time.

Anyway, feel free to discuss the Round Table.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 06:08:39 pm by Beyond Awesome »

dedicateddan

• 2017 Dominion Online Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: dan brooks
  • Respect: +1058
    • View Profile
+1

I played a few games on the Donate/Market Square board and was surprised at how well Summon/Black Market/Menagerie played.

With unique cards coming out of the Black Market deck, Menagerie is almost always active, and Summon lets you start each turn with a few Villages before you find more in the Black Market deck.

On that note - I actually like skipping Peasant on this board. The terminal space is pretty tight early on and later on the deck builds up quickly, even without Teacher tokens.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
  • Respect: +1675
    • View Profile
+1

Hi everyone,

I've created a new Round Table blog article. Essentially, various people chime in on a topic and give their thoughts. This month, the focus was on Donate. You can read that by clicking here https://dominionstrategy.com/2017/10/18/dominion-round-table-donate/.

Anyway, if you have any thoughts or suggestions, feel free to post them. In the future, one idea I have to make the flow of Round Table discussions better is to have a set start and end time.

Why is the Donate image on the article so crappy?

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music

Hi everyone,

Why is the Donate image on the article so crappy?

It looks like the one from the rulebook.

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
+1

I really enjoyed the first part, prior to the Kingdom-specific discussions, but after that point it became a bit unwieldy for me. For one thing, it was difficult to keep track of which kingdom was being referenced and what was in the kingdom without constantly scrolling back to the image.

Maybe there's a better way to visually present this sort of longform Kingdom analysis. Or perhaps in this instance, a brief summary of each person's opening strategy would be better.

trivialknot

• Jester
  • Respect: +1171
    • View Profile
+3

The round table is a great idea.  I would put a "read more" tag somewhere, so that the post doesn't appear in its entirety when you look at the front page.  In Wordpress, you just insert "<!--more-->" into the html.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
+3

Some javascript to float the kingdom image at the top as you scroll through the discussion for it would be fancy.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
+1

I'm not really a fan of the format, at least with so many people talking. I'd limit it to 3.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
+2

Yah, less people is probably a good idea for the next one.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

The round table is a great idea.  I would put a "read more" tag somewhere, so that the post doesn't appear in its entirety when you look at the front page.  In Wordpress, you just insert "<!--more-->" into the html.

Thanks!

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
+2

I really enjoyed it, especially the discussion about the kingdoms. I feel like that's where I got the most insight from. I also loved the range of people you had, although I agree it would also work with slightly fewer people.

I think it would be fine to use next month to talk about the travellers. It might even be refreshing with the inevitable amount of Nocturne content coming our way (not that I'm not excited). And there might be some new insights into how to use travellers with Nocturne cards.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
+1

Yeah, it might be hard to digest the kingdom specific discussion from just reading the dialogue. At the time, we all had time some time to think about the boards as we were discussing them, and each board was pondered for maybe 10-15 minutes.

tim17

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +276
    • View Profile
+1

Another situation where I think multiple donates are optimal is with goons. The general approach is to play several goons in a turn, and then buy a bunch of coppers and donate to trash the coppers you just bought.

This could maybe also be viable (though not nearly as good) with merchant guild in place of goons.

SevenSpirits

• Swindler
  • Shuffle iT Username: SevenSpirits
  • Respect: +53
    • View Profile
+7

I loved this format.

As someone who's only popped into the forums a couple times but enjoys the blog whenever it's updated, it's sometimes hard to tell where a statement lies on the scale of truth to personal opinion, and the certainty with which the writer believes it.

The discussion format gave me a better sense of which aspects of strategy are common knowledge and widely understood, and which aspects are hard and still very much being learned.

For what it's worth, I followed the kingdoms without much issue, and even felt inspired to try them out plus a few more Donate kingdoms.
How to explain? How to describe? Even the omniscient viewpoint quails.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
+8

One thing you could do is, put the questions in a different font or color or something. Or just bold. You know. Or have some other kind of breaks that accompany them. In the boards section the images divide things, but in the other areas nothing does.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5142
    • View Profile
+5

I would read these just to enjoy Donald X's humor.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

BBL

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +91
    • View Profile
+1

Thanks for putting all this effort into the blog! I like this format a lot, as I usually do not have the time and / or audio device to listen to the podcasts. With the new format, I get the chance to enjoy  it even if there are no speakers available.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
+6

Take a look at how FiveThirtyEight formats their Slack chat round tables. I think that’s a good way to frame this sort of post.

Also yeah, four people, maybe four plus a host. Also, edit and merge people’s responses together generously.

But like, otherwise this shit is dope.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

4est

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: 4est
  • Respect: +1454
    • View Profile
+8

Great job everyone, especially Beyond Awesome, for putting something like this together!  The Round Table format is a really fun way to discuss content, and could work with so many things: talking about individual cards, analyzing a kingdom or a game, discussing broader strategy paradigms like pile control or engine-building, and speculating about how Nocturne cards will interact with the rest of Dominion.  Podcasts and more detailed articles aren't everyone's thing, so having another medium for discussion is cool. 

Chris ninja'd me to referencing FiveThirtyEight's chats (here's a recent example)--I really like their format.  Having a more formal host to guide conversation and keep things on track is super important, and yeah, eight is definitely too many people.  FiveThirtyEight usually keeps their round tables to no more than three or four plus a host.  This keeps chats shorter, reduces redundant responses, and gives more space for each person to share.

My only other comment is when discussing kingdoms, it might be better to limit the number of kingdoms analyzed in a single chat.  I get that the point was to show how Donate works in various situations, but five random kingdoms is probably too much for many readers to take in and really follow (or even for those participating in the chat to discuss productively).  Analyzing just one or two kingdoms in-depth at most per chat will probably be more effective and impactful for most readers. 

All that to say, this is an awesome format for blog content, and with a few tweaks, these round table chats could be an excellent space for continued conversation.  Keep up the great work!

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
+2

Re: redundant responses. It's really ok to completely eliminate duplicate answers from the final transcript or combine 4 people's identical answers into one as part of the editing process. Not everyone has to say something for every question and the editor doesn't have to present every answer even if they do.

I do also prefer round tables to be no more than four plus host.

teamlyle

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: La-Ya
  • Ah... German Hello?
  • Respect: +329
    • View Profile
+1

The Round Table is a great idea. Thanks and keep it up, BA!
"In your face." -Jacob
"Ooh. You just got burned." -Jack
"First place again, disciple!" -Ruikai
"Ugh... 399 cursors. Time to hack!" -Ben
"You gotta do your homework, dude!" -Yul
"Come on man, let the plat play." -The Plat
"It's nice to have a good 'in your face' every once in a while." -Jacob
"OBJECTION!!! The witness is being SUPER gross." -Phoenix Wright
"Milord, Inquisitor Fey sentences that burger to my stomach!" -Maya Fey
"Dude, I only had 4 cups of coffee this morning so I'm gonna crash." -Swi
"Okay, okay. My team name is: Team Lyle: the Advancing Armadillo." -Lyle
"I’m sorry Cedric, we just have to do what we have to do to get me to be a op." -Paul
"Well, I prefer loyal people. I don’t want anyone to be a La-Ya except for me." -La-Ya
"I don't play Monkey vs. Monkey. I'm too busy in pacifist mode, watching my buildings survive and thrive!" -Joshua
Lyle's mom: Are you guys going to play regular Dominion, or are you going to play cheat?
Lyle: Of course we're playing Cheat Dominion!

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
+4

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I am glad to see so many people enjoy this format. Your comments have helped a lot, and I expect that the next Round Table will be all the better due to everyone's suggestions.  8)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
+4

Newest Round Table is up! Today's topic is the Nocturne Preview cards! https://dominionstrategy.com/2017/10/31/dominion-round-table-nocturne-preview-cards/

Cave-o-sapien

• Jester
    • View Profile
+2

This was great! I loved the focused format. Looking forward to the next one.

markusin: It does have to be said and emphasized how good Imps are. From Devil’s Workshop at least, which can amass them trivially.

drsteelhammer: I didn’t want to make the Impression that they’re weak, they definitely pretty strong. I’m just a little more cautious.

I suspect this capitalization was intentional, and I endorse it.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 02:23:28 am by Cave-o-sapien »

Willvon

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +168
    • View Profile

This is a great idea.  The format works well.  And the discussion stays on point, rather than devolving into debates on things not really connected to the subject. 

The discussion on Donate was great, but I especially enjoyed the discussion of the Nocturne cards.  I didn't get to play with them online.  So I appreciated getting the different perspectives on the previewed cards.

Thanks again for another great feature on the blog.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.